FarCry 3

Share your opinions and questions about anything to do with gaming and technology.

Moderator: Forum Guards

FarCry 3

Postby or 1=1 » Thu Feb 16, 12 9:00 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djyNNBVpRpc[/youtube]

Liked the first, hated the second, let's see how the 3rd one gonna be.

Btw what's cleopatra doin in FarCry?
Cheap Bitch
or 1=1
Master

Postby James » Thu Feb 16, 12 9:05 am

Looked like an absolutely horrid trailer but does not reflect the gameplay. Then again, Farcry 2 was a load of shite anyway.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Siva » Thu Feb 16, 12 8:16 pm

Never played 1, played a large amount of 2 (never finished the bugger though)

I am indifferent towards 3
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Postby Aidan » Thu Feb 16, 12 8:19 pm

have a feeling its going to be another travel simulator..
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby clyzm » Thu Feb 16, 12 11:40 pm

Dubstep trailers

I thought it died after that SSX one

Anyways

That mohawk dude is the most interesting character in the entire trailer

And Far Cry 2 was alright
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby lfcjake » Fri Feb 17, 12 4:14 pm

Turned it off when I heard dubstep.
| Justice for the 96 |
Steam: lfcjake
lfcjake
Wannabe

Postby Aidan » Sat Feb 18, 12 1:35 am

I have a feeling that everyone will have bad expectations for this game, and it will turn out to be fantastic.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Tantalus » Sat Feb 18, 12 1:51 am

Contemplated turning off at Ubisoft logo to be edgy.

Smacked head onto desk (literally) when Lonely Island reference.
Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Aidan » Sun Feb 19, 12 12:42 am

Tantalus wrote:Contemplated turning off at Ubisoft logo to be edgy.

Smacked head onto desk (literally) when Lonely Island reference.

Well now you can say you've lost brain cells to Far Cry 3.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Mon Jun 04, 12 11:22 pm

The people about the press release last month weren't joking, FarCry 3 looks very decent.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Tue Jun 05, 12 5:07 am

clyzm wrote:Dubstep trailers

I think it's the new fad going around, now. I've seen a few game trailers with dubstep in them.

Far Cry 3 looks, at the very least, like a step in the right direction back to where it all started. Far Cry 2 was a decent shooter (except the pill-popping part, that was just a pain in the ass) but it was never a good Far Cry game.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby clyzm » Sun Dec 16, 12 11:35 am

Wow it's actually not bad

GOTY material

Its an open world RPG/FPS with interesting characters and development, very rare to find nowadays

I have a feeling that everyone will have bad expectations for this game, and it will turn out to be fantastic.

Are you clairvoyant because that is exactly what it was like for me
Last edited by clyzm on Sun Dec 16, 12 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Psychotic » Sun Dec 16, 12 9:21 pm

I have a few issues with the game, some of them seemingly minor but seem to occur quite often. One of them is fluidity. The game doesn't feel as fluid as I'd like in some parts.

My major issue is the stealth mechanics don't seem to work as well as one could hope and that the actual use of it seems to be rather inconsistent during the course of the game, which makes it hard to tell if the game is trying to be a gung-ho shooter or a stealth-based survival game.

I feel that the developers attempted to start the game off as a stealth-based survival shooter then turn it into something more akin to the standard run-and-gun shooters we have today once you reach the second island (with all that extra bravado your character gains) but some quests seem to go against the entire mentality and ruin what was a good flow before.

Both tactics are viable throughout the game of course, but some quests require stealth which becomes somewhat jarring when you've just done several missions beforehand telling you to kill everyone in sight.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby Aidan » Mon Dec 17, 12 12:46 am

clyzm wrote:
Aidan wrote:I have a feeling that everyone will have bad expectations for this game, and it will turn out to be fantastic.

Are you clairvoyant because that is exactly what it was like for me

Yeah it's pretty funny how that turned out isn't it? Haha!
Last edited by Aidan on Mon Dec 17, 12 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Mon Dec 17, 12 10:33 am

It's still generic as fuck but there's no problem with that, it's genuinely an enjoyable game that does of course have problems, but it is nothing but a positive in a year of shit.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby clyzm » Mon Dec 17, 12 3:06 pm

Magniir wrote:I have a few issues with the game, some of them seemingly minor but seem to occur quite often. One of them is fluidity. The game doesn't feel as fluid as I'd like in some parts.

My major issue is the stealth mechanics don't seem to work as well as one could hope and that the actual use of it seems to be rather inconsistent during the course of the game, which makes it hard to tell if the game is trying to be a gung-ho shooter or a stealth-based survival game.

I feel that the developers attempted to start the game off as a stealth-based survival shooter then turn it into something more akin to the standard run-and-gun shooters we have today once you reach the second island (with all that extra bravado your character gains) but some quests seem to go against the entire mentality and ruin what was a good flow before.

Both tactics are viable throughout the game of course, but some quests require stealth which becomes somewhat jarring when you've just done several missions beforehand telling you to kill everyone in sight.

Yeah there was this one stealth mission at the very start of part 2

Definitely ruined the flow because the mission before that was basically compton cerca 1993 shoot everything in sight type shit
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Psychotic » Mon Dec 17, 12 10:08 pm

James wrote:It's still generic as fuck but there's no problem with that, it's genuinely an enjoyable game that does of course have problems, but it is nothing but a positive in a year of shit.

I'm not sure if it's GOTY material but I would definitely agree it's one of the better games to come out this year.
Psychotic
Master

Postby James » Mon Dec 17, 12 10:33 pm

I honestly don't think any game should win game of the year this year, but if I chosen one it would be Artorias of the Abyss and that is just DLC, followed by Hotline Miami.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Mastakilla » Tue Dec 18, 12 12:44 am

Way better then Far Cry 2... I liked the 2 hours I played of it before my PC broke down, can't wait to get back into it
When life gives you lemons... Squeeze them into your eyes and run across a busy intersection, faggot.
Mastakilla
Forum Super Hero

Postby clyzm » Tue Dec 18, 12 6:26 am

Definitely a better version of Far Cry 2

Yet I'm a blind fanatic of FC2 and honestly I can say there are things FC2 has done that FC3 failed to replicate, FC2 is much darker and more apropos to the Heart of Darkness theme, you really feel like a mercenary in wartorn Africa with malaria and you start realizing the pointlessness of it all as you clear a checkpoint for the nth time. There was also a subtle ambiguity about being addicted to drugs

FC3 definitely feels more "modern" and the drug hallucinations are well-executed but I think it's a bit sillier than FC2 and not as serious
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Psychotic » Tue Dec 18, 12 10:40 am

I quite like the attitude they went with FC3 because, quite frankly, I don't consider FC2 a "Far Cry" game. It's called Far Cry but it's certainly no successor to the original game.

FC3 is more like the original but only really in environments, not so much in attitude and personality. I honestly think both Far Cry 2 and 3 should've been renamed as new IP since none of the sequels have anything to do with the original what-so-ever.
Psychotic
Master

Postby Aidan » Wed May 22, 13 7:26 am

I LOVE THIS GAME.

Just started playing a few days ago and can't stop. Currently doing Buck Missions.

On the flip side, it sucks how you're able to max your equipment in the first quarter of the game. I feel like god mode is on walking around with 6 rockets, 5 explosive tip arrows, 5 flaming arrows, LMG with 400 ammo, silenced sniper with 30 rounds, 8 Molotovs, and 8 Frags, 400 units of flamethrower fuel.

I have a feeling (and I really hope that) it's going to get much more difficult.
Last edited by Aidan on Wed May 22, 13 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Psychotic » Wed May 22, 13 9:39 am

Look up Ziggys Mod on the Far Cry 3 Nexus.

I suggest playing the game once then using the mod. It pretty much unlocks all weapons but you'll still have to pay to obtain them. Gives most weapons more accurate upgrades as well as differentiating scope upgrades (default has them all do the same thing).

This might sound like it makes the game easy-sauce but then you realise that the author improved the games AI, weapons are more realistic (so you might do more damage but you take it, too) and crafting is much more harder (and slightly more realistic - only slightly).

Lots of custom overhaul mods do similar things. Ziggys Mod in particular removes the minimap and any idea of quest-points to make it harder to finish quests whilst promoting the idea of exploration a lot more.
Last edited by Psychotic on Wed May 22, 13 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psychotic
Master

Postby Aidan » Wed May 22, 13 6:01 pm

Oh wow, thanks man. I'll have to check that out. I'll do it if the game doesn't get any more difficult.
Aidan
CandyMan

Return to Gaming and Technology