Android

Share your opinions and questions about anything to do with gaming and technology.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Android

Postby ynnaD » Tue Mar 20, 12 4:08 pm

Two weeks before my birthday in October i got a HTC Desire S, upgrading from a Samsung Tocco Lite, very pleased with my decision so far as i love it, use it heavily.

Anyone else here use one? Was looking to brainstorm good apps, hacks or anything worth time to use on it that i wouldn't have thought of myself. Was hoping to get a GB emulator on it too, play some Pokemon or something on the TRAIN
~þsÿçhø~ wrote:My laptops screen is broke, how can i fix it?

James wrote:THROW DARK SOULS AT IT
ynnaD
Forum Legend

Postby James » Tue Mar 20, 12 4:31 pm

I basically use my phone for Twitter (Twicca client) and WhatsApp messaging service at the moment.

Good Android store apps would be Dolphin Browser HD, Battlenet Authenticator, StarCraft 2 Soundboard, Day9 Soundboard, StarCraft 2 Build Orders, StarCraft 2 timings.

8)
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby ynnaD » Tue Mar 20, 12 4:42 pm

I HAVE ALL OF THOSE BAR DOLPHIN BROWSER HD, BATTLENET, SC2 SOUNDBOARD, DAY9 SOUNDBOARD, SC2 BUILD ORDERS and SC2 TIMINGS

ynnaD
Forum Legend

Postby ynnaD » Wed Mar 21, 12 12:03 pm

Got TuneinRadio Pro , Camera ZOOMx , and SoundHound Pro all during a 20p sale a few days ago, i recommened all of these.

The first two are obvious enough, the last one is an app that comes with the phone that lets you record a song whilst playing and it will provide you with lyrics and song name, been out for a while but pretty handy none the less.

ynnaD
Forum Legend

Postby Siva » Wed Mar 21, 12 8:52 pm

Get GTA III
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Postby Shinobi » Wed Mar 21, 12 10:08 pm

I LOVE android.

So far I've:

-Got a mega drive emulator
-Got a PS1 emulator
-Set up wireless streaming from my PC to my phone using.. bugger can't remember. Something file explorer.
-Overclocked my phone
-Played Minecraft
-Installed "Cyanogenmod" Custom ROM (which is awesome but slow, for speed try "mile high mountain pie" ROM)

Android = highly customisable, reliable, brilliant!!

A few recommended apps:

-Advanced Task Killer: To auto-kill apps not in use, quite a few options, saves some RAM.
-Superuser: Needed to do lots of tasks, think of it as having root in linux (android is basically linux deep down)
-Lookout Security: Possibly overkill but aside from the (in my opinion pointless) anti-virus it has options to make your phone scream at you if you lose it, even if its off! There's another one like this which can track your phone too but I forget the name.
-EasySMS (there's DeskSMS but it's paid for, although MUCH better): These for me are invaluable. Basically you can get an add-on for firefox, chuck ya phone on the desk (hooked up via wi-fi) and any texts ya get will go thru to FF and you can reply typing using ur pc keyboard, great for me as I'm dyspraxic and I'm a total mong when it comes to touchscreens.

Fuck I gotta shoot off but I'll edit this later and make a sorta favourites list of android stuff.

PS: As James said, Dolphin HD is a cracking browser, but on slightly less capable Android phones I'd recommend Opera Mobile or Opera Mini (mini much better for 3g, Mobile great for WiFi).

PPS: I got Quake 2 on mine!! Hehee. Got much more to write here, will definitely come back with more on this mate
Last edited by Shinobi on Wed Mar 21, 12 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Shinobi
Master

Postby ynnaD » Wed Mar 28, 12 11:15 am

Damn, sounds like your getting the best outta your phone.

I seen the Minecraft app on the store but wasn't sure if i should spend the dosh on it.

PS1 EMULATOR? Dunno if i could get that to run on my Desire S but i'll defo research into it.

I'm just gonna try that EasySMS now, thanks for all the suggestions.

ynnaD
Forum Legend

Postby Shinobi » Thu Mar 29, 12 7:50 pm

Hi guys. Just an update... bought the Sony Ericsson (now just Sony) Xperia Arc S today from Phones 4 U for £199.99 which is (I shit you not) £100 cheaper than most other places (three shop across the road selling it for £299.99!!)

....and it's fucking AWESOME.

Tis the first proper android phone I've had since the HTC G1 back in 2009.

I've already connected it to mum's 42" HDTV and it looks wicked. It plays Quake 2 really well, also runs my fav games on PS1 emulator really well (TR3 etc).

Plays minecraft well.

Flash player.

The anti-iPhone list goes on....

PS: There are demos floating about for minecraft.
PPS: Did ya know android apps can be pirated just the same as PC games?? ;-)
Last edited by Shinobi on Thu Mar 29, 12 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shinobi
Master

Postby Aidan » Thu Mar 29, 12 11:36 pm

I have an iphone
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Shinobi » Fri Mar 30, 12 1:13 pm

I have flash player. *Whipcrack*

Right, some useful (hopefully!) android stuffs...

#1: Astro file manager: Yes it is a trial. But it does what you need it to. Nice looking file manager which has the ability to extract zip files and rar files, although I have encountered a few problems extracting rar files.

#2: FPse: Playstation one emulator for Android. So far the only one I've managed to get working on both my old Orange San Francisco (slow and pointless) and my Xperia Arc S (runs fine but with "clicky" sound).

#3: Titanium Backup: A full backup suite for android phones. Seriously worth paying for the full version (circa £2.99 if I recall correctly). Backs EVERYTHING up, mainly focused on the stuff your google account won't/can't backup.

#4: BBC iPlayer: I don't know how fussy you guys are about watching TV on tiny screens but for me it's no issue. BBC iPlayer runs like a dream on WiFi, and actually runs acceptably well on 3G, although you're pushing it if you try to play in high quality. EDIT: Errr... no, it doesn't stream on 3G. AT ALL. WUT.

#5: MP3 Music Download: Probably totally illegal. You can download songs for free. Ad supported (to the point of being slightly annoying, but the app itself does what it is meant to). Don't know how long this will survive in google play (formerly android market) before being discovered.

#6: Steam: A no-brainer for those of you who use it on your desktop. Currently supports chat, wishlists, you can browse the store.. basically you can do everything except play games, although I have a funny feeling that will eventually come.

There are many "battery saver" and "task killer" apps around for android devices. I'm fortunate enough to have a phone which is relatively high-spec (although it won't be long before it's uselss as it is unfortunately only single-core), but for those of you who have old or budget android devices, try "advanced task killer" (my fav) or "easy task killer" (newer, looks promising). Battery saving apps.... you're on your own. I find most of them over-complicated and pretty ineffective.

What sort of thigns do you want to do on your phone? What are your main priorities? I may sound like an android rep or something here, but it really is customisable, with apps for (pretty much) anything (within reason, not found a gps-based-dogging-spot-finder-app yet).

A teeny tiny bit of "Android Vs xxxxx OS":

Android Vs iOS: Err... flash player. I actually know nothing about iPhones, apart from the fact that the first time I ever saw one of those retina displays I almost jizzed in my pants.

Android Vs Windows phone:
AFAIK with WP7 you have to use the Zune software (DON'T get me started on the PC software!) to use a custom ringtone!! I REPEAT: There is no way you can just "use" a piece of music on your phone as a ringtone. You have to fuck about with your PC.

Windows phone has no bluetooth file transfer.

Windows phone has no ability to use your phone as a hotspot (well, some do, but the updates are rolling out very slowly).

Windows phone has a SHIT selection of apps. Although, weirdly, many which are free on WP7 are paid-for on Android and iPhone.

OH AYE.... Danny.... here y'are mate: http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Android/ ... sp?c=29415
Last edited by Shinobi on Fri Mar 30, 12 3:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Shinobi
Master

Postby Aidan » Fri Mar 30, 12 4:04 pm

i have imessenge.
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Shinobi » Fri Mar 30, 12 6:24 pm

You know you're a geek when..........

PS emulator. With XP. Twas a bit slow so might try Win98. But still... chuffed.
Last edited by Shinobi on Fri Mar 30, 12 10:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Shinobi
Master

Postby Shinobi » Sat Mar 31, 12 5:04 pm

Shinobi
Master

Postby Psycho » Sun Apr 01, 12 10:38 pm

I have a Samsung Galaxy S
Psycho
Forum Hero

Postby ynnaD » Mon Apr 02, 12 9:34 am

I got a PS1 emulator!!!

ynnaD
Forum Legend

Return to Gaming and Technology