Mass Effect 2 Install Problems ("Data Error")

Share your opinions and questions about anything to do with gaming and technology.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Mass Effect 2 Install Problems ("Data Error")

Postby Shinobi » Wed Mar 21, 12 10:10 am

Hi. Trying to install ME2 (retail, brand new disk, in plastic wrapping, although bought from charity shop).

Keep getting data error.

Followed instructions here: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic ... x/766531/1

Still won't work.

They say burn disc 2 using Daemon or the like.... I can't, I can't burn 7.4 gig onto a disc, like.

Install aborts during extraction of movies. Possibly corrupted as has been mentioned on forum at above link, but people stil seem to have found ways around ikt. I can't.

FUCKING ME OFF.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Shinobi
Master

Re: Mass Effect 2 Install Problems ("Data Error")

Postby ynnaD » Wed Mar 21, 12 10:11 am

Shinobi wrote:They say burn disc 2 using Daemon or the like.... I

That would make me think, that it thinks its trying to burn an ISO to disk :?
~þsÿçhø~ wrote:My laptops screen is broke, how can i fix it?

James wrote:THROW DARK SOULS AT IT
ynnaD
Forum Legend

Postby Shinobi » Wed Mar 21, 12 10:25 am

Fuckity. I was, too. *facepalm*
Shinobi
Master

Postby ynnaD » Wed Mar 21, 12 10:28 am

Just read the topic, silly me ;)

"Edit" That topic suggests basically copying all the stuff needed for installation onto your local drive, have you tried that? Might just be the disc itself thats faulty.

I'd agree with the post, if you can't get the data off the disc then there's problems.
Last edited by ynnaD on Wed Mar 21, 12 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

ynnaD
Forum Legend

Postby Shinobi » Wed Mar 21, 12 11:01 am

Tried and checked my burning methods.... turns out I WAS doing it right. Yep, sure enough, when extracting shit manually it hangs every time during extraction of movies.rar.

Would torrent it but I don't have 14Gb left of my allowance.
Shinobi
Master

Postby James » Wed Mar 21, 12 11:30 am

Please stop making threads for games that already have a thread, even if this is a technical error!

I'm almost sure that there's all three Mass Effect videogame threads on the front page of Games and Tech.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Shinobi » Wed Mar 21, 12 11:40 am

Why?? If there's a general thread that isn't relevant to my topic why would I post in that? Threads are supposed to be topic-specific, and my topic is about install problems. If I post in a thread called "Mass Effect 2" or whatever, most won't look at it cause (by nature of this forum these days) it'd probably be a bollocks post containing nothing important or useful. Someone sees "Mass Effect 2 Install Problems ("Data Error")" then, if they have something helpful to contribute, they will reply.

Attitude on you stinks sometimes, aye.

Ed: Admittedly I've not searched but since no fucker else really seems to keep this forum organised perfectly and to any decent standard why the fuck should I. But again I say - it's not a DUPLICATE thread it's unique.
Ed 2: Just 'cause you royally pissed me off I double-checked and searched forum for "Mass Effect 2 data error" and this was the thread... the ONLY thread... to show up. So now you can DEFINITELY fuck off.
Last edited by Shinobi on Wed Mar 21, 12 11:43 am, edited 4 times in total.
Shinobi
Master

Postby James » Wed Mar 21, 12 12:03 pm

Well, it certainly seems to be common place to insult my apparent attitude when they're at fault. You wouldn't react like this if it were a different user whom told you.

I mean really, what am I to do?, remove the nasty exclamation mark in my 'poor attituded' post? Put my please in a mighty pink? Read what you just posted.

Admittedly I've not searched

For an existing related topic for the third time.

since no fucker else really seems to keep this forum organised perfectly and to any decent standard why the fuck should I

What?

"Mass Effect 2 data error"

Wouldn't it be common sense to search the game name or a string of the error only if you're looking for help for it on this forum? In all fairness you would have gotten better results from just using Google search's pool, it isn't as primitive as the PhpBB2 search function on a Deus Ex forum.
Last edited by James on Wed Mar 21, 12 12:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Shinobi » Wed Mar 21, 12 12:12 pm

We all know this is hardly a Deus Ex forum anymore. Some users (as far as I am led to believe) work in the games industry, and an eclectic mix of topics are discussed here every day.

I am not a member of any other forums even remotely related to gaming, so this has and probably always will be my first port of call for PC gaming issues. I'm not stupid, I've already done a google search for it and found plenty of info, none of which bloody works. So I thought since the guys on this forum are well into gaming, somebody may have experienced the same issue and be able to shed more light on it.

The fact that I didn't search is still relevant I suppose, but I edited my post to show that I HAD searched and found nothing. PhpBB searches posts not just titles, does it not?

Forget the attitude thing I'm having an absolutely TERRIBLE morning, I apologise for bringing it to the forum.
Shinobi
Master

Postby James » Wed Mar 21, 12 12:23 pm

I'll PM the rest.
Last edited by James on Wed Mar 21, 12 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Mastakilla » Wed Mar 21, 12 1:13 pm

I agree that at least technical issues with a game should be able to be seperated from game discussion threads, because like Shinobi said it might get overlooked. Then again, it's good to know now that it should be done in the corresponding general discussion of the game. Maybe update the rules to specifically say so?

As for on this topic, I don't think there's much you can do when there's something corrupted? You're gonna have to wait untill you can torrent it I guess
When life gives you lemons... Squeeze them into your eyes and run across a busy intersection, faggot.
Mastakilla
Forum Super Hero

Postby James » Wed Mar 21, 12 1:20 pm

Give me one good reason why the game tech issue would be overlooked, in a thread, about the videogame, on a slow moving forum. You're more likely to get a response from us than EA's official help.

:lol:

Also are you sure you're following the instructions correctly?, you mention burning into a disc, why would you need to do that again?, I can't browse the community forums here.
Last edited by James on Wed Mar 21, 12 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Shinobi » Wed Mar 21, 12 2:16 pm

James wrote:Give me one good reason why the game tech issue would be overlooked, in a thread, about the videogame, on a slow moving forum. You're more likely to get a response from us than EA's official help.

Also are you sure you're following the instructions correctly?, you mention burning into a disc, why would you need to do that again?, I can't browse the community forums here.

Well, the forums over at Bioware are showing that many many retail discs were faulty, but users who thought their discs were faulty have found methods to get it to install.

The following isn't quoted as the original posts didn't make sense but these are the methods I've found. Both methods involve making an image of the disc and re-burning or mounting it (perhaps to eliminate physical disc problems? I don't really know)

Method #1: Mount disc 1 .iso, burn disc 2 .iso and leave it in tray, install will continue as normal (for users experiencing "insert disc 2" errors.. so not me, although I can't try this anyway as disc 2 is 7.4gb and I don't have the ability to burn dual layer dvds).

Method #2: Extract disc 1 and 2 .iso files into 2 folders, then copy the contents of the data folder from disc 2 into the data folder of disc 1, skipping any overwrite requests. I have tried this but the installer still fails.

I've made some progress, it is the movie files which are corrupted. I have now found a manual install method which involves extracting all the rar files manually and not actually using the setup.exe (much the same as a System Shock 2 manual install, crap example but its the only game I've done it with).

[offtopic]
I personally don't read every topic these days when things light up yellow for me, as the quality of topics/posts has declined to the point of me just assuming that most of the replies are bollocks. The vast majority of threads seem to go off topic and often go back to the same topic, which quite often is something I don't even know about as I don't follow the news much, esepcially gaming news. I've been guilty of lazily starting threads lately, but I thought since I don't reeeeeally post here much anymore I wasn't hurting as I don't tend to fuck about often. Anyhoo - sorry for being a bitch earlier, and also I have to admit that the vast majority of worthwhile posts/threads I've read on here in recent months have been written and maintained by James. Sorry dude, bad day.
[/offtopic]

So yeah... going to try this manual install, but I fear something inside movies.rar is corrupted. How I don't bloody know as the disc itself is in perfect physical condition.
Last edited by Shinobi on Wed Mar 21, 12 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shinobi
Master

Postby James » Wed Mar 21, 12 2:24 pm

No need to apologise at all. I just like to keep the forum tidy.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby ynnaD » Wed Mar 21, 12 3:12 pm

Could you get a copy of the movies.rar file from someone else? A long shot i know but if that was all thats holding the installation back, would be worth a try using someone elses copy.

ynnaD
Forum Legend

Postby Shinobi » Wed Mar 21, 12 4:25 pm

Could potentially torrent it but that would involve finding a torrent which isn't an .iso or similar. Plus I was kinda proud I BOUGHT a game lol, then it doesn't bleedin' work...

Technically all I bought is the CD Key really though lol...

Oh well. *gives up and contemplates playing DX:IW*
Shinobi
Master

Return to Gaming and Technology