Being mean in video games might cost you more

Share your opinions and questions about anything to do with gaming and technology.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Postby Psychotic » Wed May 02, 12 2:05 am

James wrote:Yes, I hate the fact I have to use Steam to actually play the videogames that aren't for Steamworks or simply single-player only!

This, but also what Protocol said.

I love the concept behind Steam. I have nothing against digital distribution itself, just the problems associated with Steam. The major one is requiring online activation for single-player games, essentially screwing over anyone without an active internet connection or anyone with a low-speed connection (it's possible to run Steam on dial-up but from past experience, it's not something you enjoy doing).
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby ynnaD » Mon Jun 18, 12 11:43 am

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120615/13250219347/interesting-strategy-rockstar-games-to-dump-cheaters-into-game-where-they-only-play-other-cheaters.shtml

Techdirt is a site i've found recently where posts are made at the goverments attempts to censor certain , shall we say "going's on's" on the internet, i was reading through some of the articles when i found this.

It may already have been discussed, but basically, Rockstar claim that anyone found to be cheating on Max Payne 3 will be seperated from the normal MP crowd, and kept into what they call a "Cheater's Pool", no statistics or leaderboards rankings are recorded, but they can continue to play the game.

After a while, if the player is cleared of the cheating, they can be allowed back into Public games, but if caught again, INSTA BAN.

Thoughts?
Last edited by ynnaD on Mon Jun 18, 12 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
~þsÿçhø~ wrote:My laptops screen is broke, how can i fix it?

James wrote:THROW DARK SOULS AT IT
ynnaD
Forum Legend

Postby Psychotic » Mon Jun 18, 12 1:43 pm

I don't mind such a system but the one problem I currently see is the ability for publishers/developers to ban without due cause and get away with that by implementing terms that state that the company may ban you for any reason, at any time, and do not have to give any reason what-so-ever. Steam already have such terms, for example (see below).

I don't like such terms simply because of the lack of transparency. I don't like the idea of being able to have my account and all related access terminated at the drop of a hat, without any sufficient proof given. Not only this, but because services like Steam consider their products "services" and not "goods", I don't believe there's much I can actually do about it.

Whilst companies will try to defend themselves by claiming to never unjustly ban someone, that's not very reassuring given the fact that the possibility of them doing it is still very much there, and it can be quite difficult to prove you were hacked or lost access to your account unwittingly.

It's unlikely any company that wants to remain in good-standing with it's consumers would actually resort to these tactics on a huge basis, but the risk is there and there's been cases where some companies have already been accused of doing this (some - like Microsoft - were even caught doing it).

http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/

5. ONLINE CONDUCT, CHEATING AND ILLEGAL BEHAVIOR

Valve may terminate your Account or a particular Subscription for any conduct or activity that Valve believes is illegal, constitutes a Cheat, or which otherwise negatively affects the enjoyment of Steam by other Subscribers. You acknowledge that Valve is not required to provide you notice before terminating your Subscriptions(s) and/or Account, but it may choose to do so.

Note the wording in the second bold line. It's a common term that allows the company to define what "illegal" is in their eyes. Whilst in some countries you may be able to argue certain claims, the fact remains they can largely do whatever they like.

13. TERM AND TERMINATION

Either you or Valve has the right to terminate or cancel your Account or a particular Subscription at any time. You understand and agree that the cancellation of your Account or a particular Subscription is your sole right and remedy with respect to any dispute with Valve.

Note the wording on this, too: Either you or Valve can terminate or cancel your subscription at any time.

13C. Termination by Valve.

1. In the case of a recurring payment Subscription (e.g., a monthly subscription), in the event that Valve terminates or cancels your Account or a particular Subscription for convenience, Valve may, but is not obligated to, provide a prorated refund of any prepaid Subscription fees paid to Valve.
2. In the case of a one-time purchase of a product license (e.g., purchase of a single game) from Valve, Valve may choose to terminate or cancel your Subscription in its entirety or may terminate or cancel only a portion of the Subscription (e.g., access to the software via Steam) and Valve may, but is not obligated to, provide access (for a limited period of time) to the download of a stand-alone version of the software and content associated with such one-time purchase.

Lots of junk text here but the second point is noteworthy and states simply that Valve can terminate your subscription of a one-time purchase (such as a single game) entirely or partially, at their discretion. They also may provide access to a stand-alone version, but are not obligated to do so.
Last edited by Psychotic on Mon Jun 18, 12 1:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Previous

Return to Gaming and Technology