Being mean in video games might cost you more

Share your opinions and questions about anything to do with gaming and technology.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Being mean in video games might cost you more

Postby clyzm » Fri Apr 27, 12 11:04 pm

http://unrealitymag.com/index.php/2012/ ... cost-more/

"So, in practice, a really likable person in our community should get Dota 2 for free, because of past behavior in Team Fortress 2. Now, a real jerk that annoys everyone, they can still play, but a game is full price and they have to pay an extra hundred dollars if they want voice. This is what Newell meant when he said that Dota 2 would be free-to-play, “but with some twists.” If you’re a valuable member of the community it might be free-to-play, but if you’re not it won’t."

Thoughts? Valve is an OK company and all but this kind of thing doesn't sit well with me at all.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Aidan » Fri Apr 27, 12 11:16 pm

Videogame industry has turned into a totalitarian government of entertainment.

We are all lab rats; who will listen and obey to obtain our fun.

They are their games, thus we must play by their rules.

ONLY THE STRONG CAN RESIST.

...but yeah, that's not a twist; that's twisted.

Speaking from a psychoanalytical perspective, this is not fair to that "jerk", who was nurtured in a household inducing him/her to be as such. It is not his/her entire fault they are like that on a videogame. There are many people who use video games to vent real-life issues upon. Of course they might annoy the hell out of people; but that is why (auto) kicking/banning is invented with the addition of a voting method.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/ult ... eally-want

This method Valve has chosen to implement COULD meet controversies. Being forced to use Origin for BF3 wasn't that bad; but THIS?!

Valve's attempt to force positive emotion by means of the game price? Absurd, and disgusting.

Argue if you wish against what I say; but it only takes one leap across the river to encourage the leaps of others. If this goes through, and is sustained, other companies will most likely do the same.
Last edited by Aidan on Fri Apr 27, 12 11:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Hanover Fist » Sat Apr 28, 12 12:15 am

It's all subjective. For example, to the short sighted ignorant that strain themselves to read I might seem like just a troll. But to people who can read between the lines there's actually soemthing being said.

Granted most dolts on MP communities don't have anything to say. Whiners and noobs beings charged a toll is just bad marketing. Total assholes can be admired by the community while dudes that just stand up for themselves are shunned. It's all subjective.

Besides, everyone tends to twist nipples every once in awhile.
Last edited by Hanover Fist on Sat Apr 28, 12 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Happiness is a full wallet and a loaded clip
Hanover Fist
Master

Postby Aidan » Sat Apr 28, 12 12:30 am

RECLAIMER wrote:It's all subjective. For example, to the short sighted ignorant that strain themselves to read I might seem like just a troll. But to people who can read between the lines there's actually soemthing being said.

Granted most dolts on MP communities don't have anything to say. Whiners and noobs beings charged a toll is just bad marketing. Total assholes can be admired by the community while dudes that just stand up for themselves are shunned. It's all subjective.

Besides, everyone tends to twist nipples every once in awhile.

What I say, are that half these "trolls" do what they do for another reason we do not know of.

While most could say, "Oh ahaha he's just a noob troll that's cute," etc. That in itself is being ignorant.

Many people have an unidentifiable mask people blindly assume something else of.

(I know what I'm about to say here is a bit of a drastic example.. but remember the Autistic boy who was banned from xbox live? Everyone assumed he was hacking, even Microsoft. People underestimate the psyche of people, and the actions masking their issues/alterations.)

Granted, yes... There are people that "troll" for lower reason; but is it fair to vary all of society in the same boat? No.

This is just the lazy man's way of making more money. Society is all about greed, and it worsens everyday.

Go eat another cheeseburger with your spare DOTA2 money Newell. I'm disgusted by this system¹, thus you deserve that remark.

[¹] It isn't so much of the fact that this is implemented on DOTA2. I'm disgusted with the fact that this could catch on, and worsen with time.
Last edited by Aidan on Sat Apr 28, 12 12:44 am, edited 8 times in total.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Hanover Fist » Sat Apr 28, 12 1:10 am

Good marketing would be how the mafia would buy cartons of cigs (even inflated brands) at a discount and sell them at a fraction of the cost and still manage to make a profit.

Now people are so dumb on both sides of the plane of consumerism, that when a product is hiked up and just outright marketed badly, consumers just go right on ahead and bend over. Some of them even perforate their scrotums for a second helping.

People say "oh well the economy has put everyone in a tough position... it's a catch 22". The same sort of dopes that get double stuffed fucked in the butt share the idiocy of those that brought down the market.

The video game industry, like the music and movie industry, is operating by the foresight of numbers. Numbers are such easy trifles to lean toward. But even though anyone can use them, not everybody relies on their own calculations. Some people don't even make any, and rely on someone else.

That shit catches on, man. There is empowerment to anyone who takes the time to write. Whether it is numbers or outcry like this, and whether either of those is just fancily phrased bullshit or not, people who don't have any solid ground of fact to stand on are gonna follow poin dexter or two-face right into oblivion.

Instead of hiring a bunch of Mr. Magoos with a degree that follow one guy's exhausted innovation (that usually gets butchered by a bunch of greedy business majoring, dehumanized crumb-bums), their should be entire dream teams assembled through the networking of all the best minds in the biz.

I think in the end it is competition which, although stimulates the markets, also divides and dissipates the potential for tangible, deserving success.

I mean this for all creations.
Last edited by Hanover Fist on Sat Apr 28, 12 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hanover Fist
Master

Postby Aidan » Sat Apr 28, 12 1:20 am

Yes, I agree. It's sad, and sick; but true.

The future of video games are looking very ugly. Media in general, really.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Siva » Sat Apr 28, 12 6:57 am

Saw that on /v/ today

Not going to post a too long; didn't read

That is the stupidest thing Valve have ever let slip out of their collective tongue. And I love Valve.
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Postby James » Sat Apr 28, 12 7:04 am

Wow, this is almost as bad as Bobby Kotick's "sell cutscenes as DLC" idea debacle when he fell in love with Blizzard's trailers for StarCraft 2.

I really don't think Valve should go forward with this idea.
Last edited by James on Sat Apr 28, 12 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Mon Apr 30, 12 6:36 am

Absolutely retarded idea.

Essentially what they're saying is they're prepared to alienate the portion of their fans who don't happen to be an active community member on their forums.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby Aidan » Mon Apr 30, 12 6:54 am

Hey, guys....

Why don't we form a giant community in which we control what games are bought from which companies.

Dev's are too comfy in their current financial/statistical positions. They can do what they want, and everyone will hop on the train.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Mon Apr 30, 12 7:51 am

We've been doing that for years...
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Professor Layton » Mon Apr 30, 12 11:34 am

Not big enough james~
GrandpaTerran wrote:THIS MAP HAS BEEN POSTPONED FOR NOW I'LL RE-DEVELOP WHEN I HAVE COMPLETED MY MAPPING TRAINING
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby ynnaD » Mon Apr 30, 12 11:55 am

Valve plan to rip the soul out of gaming? Sounds about right
~þsÿçhø~ wrote:My laptops screen is broke, how can i fix it?

James wrote:THROW DARK SOULS AT IT
ynnaD
Forum Legend

Postby James » Mon Apr 30, 12 12:32 pm

The community idea is absurd but I always join rallies against videogames I do not support and vote with my wallet.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Mon Apr 30, 12 3:58 pm

-w wait, you thought I was serious? :lol:

James wrote:The community idea is absurd

That was the joke man.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Mon Apr 30, 12 4:05 pm

It is a serious movement against the VG industry, just a little silly with your community who decide what's good and what's shit arbitrary like.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Mon Apr 30, 12 4:35 pm

Stop trying to make my joke serious. It is not supposed to make complete sense.

This topic is pretty exhausted by now.
Last edited by Aidan on Mon Apr 30, 12 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Mon Apr 30, 12 4:42 pm

Well it is making fun of a very serious thing that people do to try and break capitalism?
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Mon Apr 30, 12 5:19 pm

James wrote:Well it is making fun of a very serious thing that people do to try and break capitalism?

I've already stated my serious remark, and that I've made a joke.

Stop dwelling on my stupid post. Stop looking for attention.

Aidan wrote:This topic is pretty exhausted by now.
Last edited by Aidan on Mon Apr 30, 12 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Siva » Mon Apr 30, 12 5:35 pm

//..
Siva

Postby James » Mon Apr 30, 12 5:44 pm

This topic is still pretty relevant due to the recent article and the discussion is pretty on track albeit a tiny bit off-topic but still relating to the subject at hand. What you put across as a joke in post #307959 isn't unlike what people have actually done minus the community thing in which I've shortly described is a bad idea in post #307978.

e.g. Good example with 'voting with your wallet' would be the recent drama surrounding Mass Effect 3 development and details from the pre-order DLC, platforms and information provided through leaks or the game itself on release deterred a lot of existing customers away from the videogame including myself.

Also, why is it always when you're in a huff that you try and use my own phrases against myself? It's poor wit and I have no idea what you're tryng to establish. I'm not sorry if I took your post seriously in a formal manner and later saw it as a disrespectful comment when you revealed you had joked about it - maybe you've just got to deal with it?
Last edited by James on Mon Apr 30, 12 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Mon Apr 30, 12 6:05 pm

Protocol wrote:Image
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Mon Apr 30, 12 6:10 pm

You do realise either of you could get a warning for that right? Plus I believe that facepalm was likely directed at you, unless I'm wrong.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Hanover Fist » Mon Apr 30, 12 9:24 pm

Ownage. Digression
Hanover Fist
Master

Postby Psychotic » Tue May 01, 12 5:08 am

Regardless of the petty squabble going on between Aidan and James right now, I believe that this could end up being a very serious issue that I hope Valve realises why it's such a bad idea.

If enacted it would set a horrible precedent. Community forums shouldn't be a place to score yourself a copy of a game for free, they should be places where you go and discuss certain topics as a community, because you want to and because you enjoy doing so.

I believe the overall quality of forums would decrease with such a pathetic concept, but also the quality of video games could end up declining as well to "justify" giving the game away for nothing.

It could also potentially harm third-party fansites such as this one (size is irrelevant) because most people would be compelled to post on official websites, where they have the opportunity of getting free games. Valve could always hire people that also look on fansites but ultimately, they'd never be able to look at all of them (this one, due to its size, may get skipped over, for example) and so, some communities may end up suffering.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby Hanover Fist » Tue May 01, 12 5:46 am

You can already get DX for free if you post here.
Hanover Fist
Master

Postby James » Tue May 01, 12 6:14 am

But it isn't truly free is it.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby clyzm » Tue May 01, 12 6:38 am

I don't like Steam man

They want people to go through them if they want to play games

middleman tactics you see
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby James » Tue May 01, 12 6:53 am

Yes, I hate the fact I have to use Steam to actually play the videogames that aren't for Steamworks or simply single-player only!
Last edited by James on Tue May 01, 12 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Siva » Tue May 01, 12 8:45 pm

I don't dislike Steam, but I'm extremely worried as to the amount of power I've given them. All I can really do is hope Valve keep their promise if worse comes to worse.
//..
Siva

Next

Return to Gaming and Technology