Microsoft has just announced Microsoft Surface tablet

Share your opinions and questions about anything to do with gaming and technology.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Microsoft has just announced Microsoft Surface tablet

Postby Dae » Tue Jun 19, 12 1:12 am

After days of speculation and rumors, Microsoft's major announcement has just been unveiled at a press event in Los Angeles: a Surface tablet. We suspected the company might be working on its own tablet, and Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer revealed the device on stage at the Milk Studios in Los Angeles today. Discussing Microsoft's history with Windows, Xbox, and Kinect, Ballmer introduced a video of the company's hardware products over the years before unveiling Windows 8's companion, a Microsoft Surface.

Microsoft's Steven Sinofsky took to the stage to describe the hardware of Microsoft's Surface tablet. There will be two options for Microsoft's Surface PC, one powered by Intel's 22nm Ivy Bridge chips running Windows 8 or a Surface powered by an ARM chipset and Windows RT. The Windows RT version is just 9.3mm thin, weighs 1.5lbs, includes a built-in kickstand and is the first PC with a vapor-deposited (PVD) magnesium case, according to Microsoft. It will ship in 32GB or 64GB versions.

Microsoft's Intel-based Surface tablet will run Windows 8 Pro, with a thickness of 13.5mm, a weight of 1.9lb, and USB 3.0 support. This particular version will also include magnesium casing and a built-in kickstand, but will ship with either 64GB or 128GB storage. The Intel version will include additional digital ink support through a pen that magnetizes to the body of the tablet. Both of Microsoft's Surface tablets feature a 10.6-inch display, and optional Touch and Type covers.

Microsoft says suggested retail pricing will be announced closer to availability and is expected to be competitive with a comparable ARM tablet or Intel Ultrabook-class PC.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/18/30941 ... ows-tablet

Looks neat.
Last edited by Dae on Tue Jun 19, 12 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dae
Alpha

Postby Baleout » Tue Jun 19, 12 1:16 am

What's with the non-wavy windows logo

Also I feel the keyboard adds crucial functionality to the tablet.
Last edited by Baleout on Tue Jun 19, 12 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baleout
Master

Postby Kaiden » Tue Jun 19, 12 2:05 am

Wasn't there some leaked thing about the next gen xbox as well or was that a hoax.
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Tue Jun 19, 12 3:34 am

Hoaxbox

Microsoft is smartening up (i think), and taking the apple approach... but still selling their windows licence?

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Siva » Tue Jun 19, 12 3:38 am

That thing is pretty as hell

I want it but I have no use for it, so no
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Postby James » Tue Jun 19, 12 7:05 am

Knew it was coming with the announcement of Windows 8.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psycho » Tue Jun 19, 12 7:25 am

Sexy
Psycho
Forum Hero

Postby Psychotic » Tue Jun 19, 12 7:58 am

So much want for so little use!
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby James » Tue Jun 19, 12 11:14 am

I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Siva » Tue Jun 19, 12 11:48 am

James wrote:http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/19/microsoft-surface-pc-gaming/

Then there’s the other one, which is 4mm fatter than Surface and iPad but otherwise looks very similar to the ARM Surface. It’s toting an Intel Core i5

Core i5

Intel HD 4000

HA HA HA

TIME 4 BATHROOM DOTER

Ordering this shit, I still have NO FUNCTIONAL USE FOR IT with a Laptop with the same specs and a gaming PC

But goddamn it's so pretty maybe I'll just have two laptops
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Postby Dae » Mon Jun 25, 12 2:31 pm

After seeing yet another “hands-on” review of the Microsoft Surface tablet, I thought it would be interesting to shed more light on what exactly the journalists who assembled in Hollywood this week for the Surface launch event actually got to do with the tablets. In short, not a lot.

The Microsoft guys were rambling on about all the awesome stuff that makes these keyboards work as well — if not better — than a real keyboard, all the same stuff we’d already heard about an hour before during the main event. I wanted to try one of the damn things. You know, like hook it up to a Surface and see it for myself.

I asked one of the Microsoft guys if we could try the keyboard with the Surface he was holding, one that wasn’t on. Nope. Why not? He just kind of shrugged and said he didn’t know.

What the hell? You’ve dragged 100 journalists out in the middle of Los Angeles in the afternoon (with LA traffic, imagine crawling slowly on broken glass), made a big deal about this keyboard on stage and no one can actually try it? To see for ourselves how well it works? Yeah, that wasn’t encouraging.

If we were lucky, we were allowed to hold one for a few seconds

After asking repeatedly if I could hold one — I felt like a seven-year-old, “please can I hold it, please can I try, would you mind if I try” — one of the Microsoft guys gave me a shot. I brought up the Start screen by hitting the Windows button on the front of the tablet, hit Desktop to get to the Windows 8 desktop, did a long press guessing that would bring up the Screen Resolution setting and it did — at which point, the unit was literally jerked out of my hands.

http://marketingland.com/hands-off-micr ... view-15146

To put it short, it's just not ready for the prime time.
Dae
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Tue Jun 26, 12 12:09 am

Ah, why am I not surprised? I liked one of the comments to that article.

If they do not have enough confidence in their own product to show it to members of the press, then why should I have enough confidence to spend my money on their product.
Last edited by Psychotic on Tue Jun 26, 12 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby Aidan » Tue Jun 26, 12 12:56 am

I'm going to wait a while. If nothing bad is said, I'll take it.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Tonnochi » Fri Jun 29, 12 4:54 pm

Flip cover around to back of device to use it. Keyboard exposed. Endless fun as you type AIHFEAISHFSIUNFAIFIAOSDF throughout use.
Tonnochi
Forum Hero

Postby Aidan » Fri Jun 29, 12 11:57 pm

Justin has a nice looking account.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Kaiden » Sat Jun 30, 12 1:26 am

http://marketingland.com/hands-off-microsoft-surface-tablet-review-15146

Did find that a pretty interesting read. Either way, looks to be interesting, I'm looking forward to seeing how Windows 8 works regardless.
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Sat Jun 30, 12 2:46 am

Kaiden wrote:
http://marketingland.com/hands-off-microsoft-surface-tablet-review-15146

Did find that a pretty interesting read. Either way, looks to be interesting, I'm looking forward to seeing how Windows 8 works regardless.

Just download the beta build, lol.
Aidan
CandyMan

Return to Gaming and Technology