Left 4 Dead and/or Team Fortress 3 at Gamescon

Share your opinions and questions about anything to do with gaming and technology.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Left 4 Dead and/or Team Fortress 3 at Gamescon

Postby Psychotic » Tue Aug 14, 12 12:23 pm

Because we know it won't be Half-Life 3 being announced. Duh.

Alternatively they could just talk about Dota or Counter-Strike because Valve are dicks like that.

No. I have no hope.

http://www.gamescom-cologne.com/media/g ... nliste.pdf

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/08 ... ess-knows/

[e] The amount of people already being suckered into what a random, editable PDF document is saying is mildly amusing.

I shall never apologise for my cynicism! Half-Life 3 is basically the new Duke Nukem Forever for me.
Last edited by Psychotic on Tue Aug 14, 12 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby James » Tue Aug 14, 12 1:23 pm

I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Tue Aug 14, 12 4:33 pm

Yeah, I also noticed the message about the notices validity at the bottom a while ago.

What amused me most about this whole ordeal is the idiots lapping this shit up, like it's going to actually happen.

There's a reason I'm a cynical. Clearly it's not because Valve haven't released jack shit regarding Half-Life 3 since Episode 2 was released... oh hang on, that's exactly it.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby Aidan » Tue Aug 14, 12 11:40 pm

I don't see what the fuss is about HL3. I'm glad Valve hasn't said anything about it, and IF they've been working on it all of these years, I'm glad they've taken their time. I personally don't think they've spoke a word of it, as they don't want any anticipation. With anticipation, you have pressure. When you release periodic information/screenshots/footage of a game over a long span of time... People become less interested in the game. Especially if it's going to take another year or so to complete.

Duke was just a plain and simple shit show. You have a variety of idiots trying to compare a 'next-gen' Duke game next to a 16 year old pixelated Duke Nukem 3D that wasn't even as good as the side scrollers. THEN you have the game being tossed from dev to dev, not to mention that the finished product was rushed un-coordinated rubbish.

I know I've previously stated that I liked DNF. I don't HATE it; but it's an alright game if purchased for a low price.
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Psychotic » Wed Aug 15, 12 6:00 am

Valve have never said they were creating a Half-Life 3, but they did say they were making 3 Half-Life 2 episodes. Only two have been released, so where's the third?

My issues with Half-Life 3 is the deliberate ambiguity that Valve spread whenever Half-Life is mentioned. It's always the elephant in the room and instead of growing some balls and simply telling us if it is or isn't being worked on they have to side-step constantly out of some pathetic grab at attention.

Other than this the Half-Life fanbase constantly annoys me simply because of their pathetic bout of hope. I loved all the Half-Life games but I'm not so ignorant as to be suckered into every little inch of hope. Every time Half-Life 3 is mentioned a bunch of fans crawl to places like Reddit or Twitter to spout how awesome it'll be or spread rumours on when it'll be announced.

Then they have the gall to be offended when it's not announced? I hate hype, because it spreads ignorance like the damn plague, and both developers and fans are guilty of spreading this crap.

----

As for Duke Nukem? Duke Nukem Forever failed because of horrible management. It failed because the project's leader wanted to repeat the same success Duke Nukem 3D achieved. Had he simply tried to make a good and fun game as opposed to the best game ever (something he'll never achieve by trying to achieve it) then DNF could've succeeded.

But it's yet another example of how hype can ruin an entire game or an entire communities outlook on a game. Having high standards can be good for quality-testing, but having expectations so high nobody can ever achieve it is not.
Last edited by Psychotic on Wed Aug 15, 12 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psychotic
Master

Postby Professor Layton » Wed Aug 15, 12 9:55 am

Why not dota 3?
GrandpaTerran wrote:THIS MAP HAS BEEN POSTPONED FOR NOW I'LL RE-DEVELOP WHEN I HAVE COMPLETED MY MAPPING TRAINING
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby Psychotic » Wed Aug 15, 12 12:11 pm

Hah, I considered that for but a brief moment (alongside Counter-Strike) but chose games they haven't announced planned sequels for.
Psychotic
Master

Postby James » Fri Aug 17, 12 10:14 am

I am dead.
James
Alpha

Return to Gaming and Technology