Ps3, Xbox, and being way too fuckin late

Share your opinions and questions about anything to do with gaming and technology.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Ps3, Xbox, and being way too fuckin late

Postby Shinobi » Sat Feb 16, 13 12:11 am

Hi guys.

The time has come: I'm going to buy a games console.
For years I've avoided the stupid things because, well they're not PCs. Yeah, that is pretty much my argument :lol:

The decision has come from being given a PS2 slim 2 months ago. The first thing I did was softmod it and install Free McBoot Manager, SMS media player and a few random emulators. Then I learnt how to run linux on it by installing it to my PC hard drive and running it over the network via a samba share. I can also do the same with games (making the PS2s piss-taking load screens much more bearable, and saving my laser). Happy days.
EDIT: DX with a keyboard and mouse is definitely a fun experience, too.

The "I got a fukken console" vibe kicked in and now I find myself considering a PS3 or Xbox 360 (yeah, bit slow, but then I didn't get a PS1 until 1999, a PS2 until the end of 2012).

So... a few questions.

1) To anyone who is into homebrew software, console modding... n shit: Which is easiest to put custom shit on? What can ya do with them?
Also, with the PS2 it matters massively what model you have (USB write bugs on slim, very last versions not moddable etc)... is this the case for PS3? What about Xbox?

2) I know Xbox live is paid for and PS online (whatever it's called) is free, but which one is best? What are the services like? This isn't hugely important as I don't have internet at home right now, but I probably will be moving home with the parentals soon.

3) Performance wise, I'm of the impression that PS3 kinda sucks in comparison to the 360. I'm basing this on playing Skyrim on both, and it sucking MORE on the PS3. And the fact that Dawnguard got delayed for months due to performance issues. Oh, and playing random rally games on my neighbours PS and wondering where my FPS went.

4) Price. I'd preferably like to buy new, but second hand is acceptable. I'm also awae that the HDDs can be swapped out on PS3s so I won't factor in HDD size, as I have approximately 43 quintillion HDDs lying about.

Well... *dings bell*... round 1, guys.
Last edited by Shinobi on Sat Feb 16, 13 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Shinobi
Master

Postby Siva » Sat Feb 16, 13 9:12 am

1)
I'm not too clued up in this area as I got out of Consoles a while ago but IIRC they are both pretty simple to mod

2)
PSN (Playstation Network) I'd prefer simply because it doesn't charge you for basic rudimentary features. One could argue XBL has a nicer layout, but at the end of the day they're more or less the same. Idk if PSN has party chat yet, or whether you care about such a feature

3)
Usually games come close to parity, but if any console suffers it will be the PS3. Which is a shame because Bayonetta is a great game and is one of the worst games to play on it.

4)
They're both pretty laughably cheap these days, it depends what you want. Do you want an original 60GB PS3 model so you can play PS2 games on it? Do you want a new new PS3 slim (Which IIRC removes your ability to use custom firmwares)? Do you want a glossy Xbox, or a matte one?

Just to say overall I'd probably get the PS3 due to free online, free games with PSplus, the XMB (Dashboard) isn't garbage, it's not region locked, it plays Blu-Rays and the exclusives tend to be more interesting.
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Postby Shinobi » Sat Feb 16, 13 10:10 pm

1) Found psx-scene.com Well, remembered it. Turns out they do PS3 as well, I used it to learn how to run linux on the PS2. PS3 definitely got a healthy homebrew community.

2) Chat? Bah! No, I don't, lol. I've not tried either but I definitely hear a lot more about XBL.

3) Skyrim on PS3 = bucket of shite. It's a tad more bearable on the Xbox.

4) Definitely leaning towards an old PS3. Looking into possible pitfalls too. I did same with PS2 though, swapped a slim for a fat so I could have the HDD functionality.

Nice one.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Shinobi
Master

Return to Gaming and Technology