Thief 4

Share your opinions and questions about anything to do with gaming and technology.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Thief 4

Postby James » Tue Mar 05, 13 5:03 pm

I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby James » Tue Mar 05, 13 6:02 pm

Last edited by James on Tue Mar 05, 13 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Dae » Tue Mar 05, 13 8:12 pm

James wrote:http://vk.com/album-49981920_170847341

Russian comments say that the screenies remind of Dishonored.
Dae
Alpha

Postby Tantalus » Tue Mar 05, 13 9:32 pm

URRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH hell yes.

Commenters are dumb, though.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby clyzm » Tue Mar 05, 13 11:12 pm

Fuck yeah

If it ends up being a Dishonored clone I will be really let down though

Thief is much much darker than Dishonored and truthfully the only game I've seen to do first person stealth the best, and combine steampunk with magicka
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Aidan » Wed Mar 06, 13 3:57 am

yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes

Awating Demo Now..
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Thu Mar 14, 13 9:45 am

I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby clyzm » Thu Mar 14, 13 7:00 pm

We never really see much of Garrett in Thief 1/2 anyway, as long as he's still voiced by Stephen Russell and it's 1st person (mostly) and about actual stealth I'll still play it

Hate that new look though
Last edited by clyzm on Thu Mar 14, 13 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby James » Thu Mar 14, 13 7:56 pm

It's not about how he looks, it's how they're going about the character and world such as removing elements such as fantasy creatures, the gothic feel (integral to Thief) and making him stand out when he dresses relatively normally and wasn't very suspicious looking to others at a distance.

RE: the design tho (not what I'm pointing out), I don't mind it except he looks more like a generic assassin/shinobi and has an uncanny similarity to Rikkimaru from Tenchu. What does bother me is that it is a character design mishap that a lot fail to understand in the videogame industry, the more 'cool' you make someone without a true defining feature (his eye doesn't count), the less people will remember him as he'll look like every other protagonist. See Black Terror compared to older comic book heroes at the time of his conception, guy stands out and people actually remember him from this era. (Ignoring the greats like Batman and Superman)
Last edited by James on Thu Mar 14, 13 8:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Tantalus » Thu Mar 14, 13 9:35 pm

James wrote:has an uncanny similarity to Rikkimaru from Tenchu.

Now that you mention it...
Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby clyzm » Mon Apr 01, 13 4:37 am

Oh Man I picked up a GameInformer today talking about the upcoming mechanics

Its gonna suck y'all

bIG time
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Tantalus » Mon Apr 01, 13 9:19 am

Details yo.

Also, I'm dying at the avatars.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby clyzm » Mon Apr 01, 13 3:24 pm

They have a hub that explains it all but one of the experimental features basically lets Garrett scan rooms for items and focus on gold and loot like some kind of fucking cyborg

http://www.gameinformer.com/p/thief.aspx
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Baleout » Mon Apr 01, 13 4:49 pm

Compound bows don't work like that.
Baleout
Master

Postby Tantalus » Mon Apr 01, 13 7:33 pm

Truly the worst thing about this is the font used for the title. Hope they change that.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Remember when we all flipped shit about Deus Ex HR? They still managed to pull it together. Not going to suggest they will snatch victory from the jaws of defeat, but you never know with Montreal. Although, his appearance is the most cliched thing I have ever seen.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby James » Mon Apr 01, 13 7:47 pm

DXHR never really shat all over the lore or style of Deus Ex, most changes we were in outrage were about console port shite. Also, we had no real information about DXHR for years... Thief 4 seems fine enough to shit on what I like about Thief.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Tantalus » Mon Apr 01, 13 8:04 pm

It wasn't just that, it was the crappy aug ideas, the third person shooter aspect, the title itself, how the art style greatly departed from Deus Ex 1 and made it look like a totally separate universe.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby James » Mon Apr 01, 13 8:41 pm

that's dx1's fault for using vcrs.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby clyzm » Tue Apr 02, 13 12:06 am

Should've just called it Dishonored's Creed II Steampunk Ninja Edition

I wonder if anything from the previous games will even appear in this one like Mechanists and Hammerites and shit or have they decided that 99% of enemies will be City Guards

If I play this game and don't hear the word taffer within the first ten minutes I am going to write a very angry letter
Last edited by clyzm on Tue Apr 02, 13 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby James » Thu Apr 04, 13 1:33 pm

http://imgco.de/116QPN.jpg

BOYCOTT THIS PIECE OF SHIT
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Thu Apr 04, 13 10:32 pm

Thief 4: "BioWare aren't the only ones who destroy franchises!"

Mass Effect 3 all over again. Fan-fucking-tastic.

I don't see how the same company that made Deus Ex: Human Revolution (which wasn't a bad game, just not as good as the original) can turn around and give us this shit.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby Tantalus » Thu Apr 04, 13 10:42 pm

Christ! There's no gameplay yet! Let's not fly off the handle, so cynical.
Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Aidan » Thu Apr 04, 13 11:01 pm

DO I SMELL DmC. ?!?!?!?

DO I SMELL.....

NINJA THEORY?
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby clyzm » Thu Apr 04, 13 11:17 pm

>VA for Garrett is not Stephen Russell
>trailer even shows his ass getting caught running past guards
>fast paced action and jumping out of windows
>catering to mainstream audiences

This is not a Thief game anymore

I can't believe you murdered this franchise Eidos

Seriously just compare the visual style, atmosphere, basically everything about the T4 trailer with this

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUxsgmJv-2c[/youtube]
Last edited by clyzm on Thu Apr 04, 13 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Aidan » Thu Apr 04, 13 11:36 pm

I think we can stop playing games now.
Last edited by Aidan on Thu Apr 04, 13 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Thu Apr 04, 13 11:40 pm

Tantalus wrote:Christ! There's no gameplay yet! Let's not fly off the handle, so cynical.

We already know enough about it so far though, and it's quite obvious it is "we want the Dishonoured/Assassin's Creed Audience" which is clearly not Thief. Honestly, it's too transparent to even deny that this is not going to be a Thief game for Thief fans.
Last edited by James on Thu Apr 04, 13 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Fri Apr 05, 13 12:32 am

The problem isn't with the industry, it's with the people playing the games.

Do you know why MTV shows reality shows? It's because people watch them. It sells.

This is why the gaming industries biggest players are recycling old content. Because it sells.

You don't have to like it; I certainly don't, but nothing is going to change companies like EA, Square Enix or Activision from pumping out recycled bullshit like Call of Duty if it keeps making them a quick buck. Bleeding the franchise dry is good business, apparently.

I still buy the new games but that's because my expectations are pretty damn low now. I also look to indie games for anything with actual depth and decency.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby Aidan » Fri Apr 05, 13 1:41 am

Magniir wrote:The problem isn't with the industry, it's with the people playing the games.

I think both sides are the total issue. Our generalized society has poor taste as a whole, while pubs are looking to make cash with what they know is safe to make.

eg --> Now that EA realizes BF3 is safe to go mainstream, they've made their little BF3 store, and have Decided to shit out BF4 witch is practically the same game.

It went from "This game feels eery and was very immersive. I love how it feels like [SAID GAME] but is in its own category"

to....

"yo bro that shit was sick he like did a 360 headshot and blew up ahaha. Srsly tho like my wife is n the other room also i am 15"

If you think of it like this:

-One has to be mature, and intelligent to comprehend complex game mechanics, well thought out plot, original art-style, immersive OST, etc. with relations between all.

-It is a known fact that the "mature, and intelligent" audience are getting older and play games less frequently (and will continue to decline playing games) in comparison to the largely populated 'immature, and naive' audience who eat up every 'awesome' game pubs spit out, and will continue to do so for quite a long time. They won't be able to tell the difference between good/bad, because all they've been subject to are the shit they've been given their entire lives.

-I'm not trying to say that there are no intelligent younger people; but those who ARE intelligent will always be the minority, thus not an appropriate target for corporate revenue.

Again, it goes both ways.
Last edited by Aidan on Fri Apr 05, 13 1:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Psychotic » Fri Apr 05, 13 2:46 am

My point was that the world is ever-changing and we as the minority can either adapt or be left behind because things aren't likely to change for us anytime soon.

This is why I tend to look to indie games. It doesn't take a big team to make a deep game, but it does take willpower to not fall into the trap that easy money brings.

The main reason why the entire state aggravates me is because I am by no means old. I am only 22 (as of today). I am of the very generation I so loathe. Granted, I didn't grow up a privileged child and spent a much different childhood than most people my age.
Psychotic
Master

Postby Aidan » Fri Apr 05, 13 3:11 am

Magniir wrote:My point was that the world is ever-changing and we as the minority can either adapt or be left behind because things aren't likely to change for us anytime soon.

This is why I tend to look to indie games. It doesn't take a big team to make a deep game, but it does take willpower to not fall into the trap that easy money brings.

The main reason why the entire state aggravates me is because I am by no means old. I am only 22 (as of today). I am of the very generation I so loathe. Granted, I didn't grow up a privileged child and spent a much different childhood than most people my age.

Yeah man, you're about the same age as I am. It aggravates me as well; but you're right... Corporations love easy money. It's as simple as that.

We can point fingers at however deep we want to look into the matter. Gamers? Devs? or Parenting? Society? Media? Drugs?

...other than easy corporate money, it's hard to find the exact reason shit games are recycled many a time. All we can really do is speculate until we are given a large sum of money to conduct extreme research on the matter.
Last edited by Aidan on Fri Apr 05, 13 3:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Aidan
CandyMan

Next

Return to Gaming and Technology