Tomb Raider reboot

Share your opinions and questions about anything to do with gaming and technology.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Tomb Raider reboot

Postby clyzm » Thu Mar 14, 13 7:04 pm

Anyone play it? I heard it's fantastic but that's from my friends that don't browse /v/
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Tantalus » Thu Mar 14, 13 7:24 pm

From what I've seen, and heard from friends' experiences, it's a great reimagining.

Although, the multiplayer is contrived. That's a shame because it's a black mark against Montreal.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby James » Thu Mar 14, 13 7:54 pm

It's another popcorn cinematic third person shooter. The game is afraid to let the player play it and you will often be forced to watch a cutscene or do minimal things to progress because God forbid a player having to learn mechanics for a game. It's like what's wrong from Uncharted instead of what made Uncharted a good game.

I am sick to death of developers making experiences instead of videogames.

Although, the multiplayer is contrived. That's a shame because it's a black mark against Montreal.

Not really. Core fans of this new studio only care for the next Deus Ex entry or Thief. Additionally if they fail at MP there's less of a chance of MP for these two games so it's a big positive for myself.
Last edited by James on Thu Mar 14, 13 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Tantalus » Thu Mar 14, 13 9:58 pm

Well yeah, but it's bad for PR. I don't think any less of them for it, I'm somewhat glad they were able to test drive the new engine and get some experience; hopefully it has some sort of scaling for the 'next gen'.

I disagree with your perspective on 'experiences', but I can't talk about that now.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby James » Thu Mar 14, 13 10:49 pm

Compare the games of the last generation to this one, especially Sony Playstation 2's Indian Summer before the 360's release. I must stress, I am sick of the arguments against this for the last 10 years because it simply isn't a case of nostalgia! The market these days have simply catered to a market of no effort non-gamers and developed by aspiring moviemakers creating cinematic experiences instead of good videogames.

I would waste 30 minutes citing each game (especially reboots or spiritual successors compared to predacessors) explaining this but the subject is dead, beaten and tired, as pretentious as this may sound there's really no point to argue that games on average are certainly weaker than they were 7 years ago. And to top it all off I am not alone in this jaded pessimism, there's lots of people who are as upset by the standards that were core to making videogames no longer important these days.
Last edited by James on Thu Mar 14, 13 10:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Fri Mar 15, 13 9:46 am

REALLY AMD?

REALLY?

I can see how bodily hair never looks realistic in games; but... this? AMD has found their own PhysX.

LOL
Last edited by Aidan on Fri Mar 15, 13 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby The RZA » Wed Apr 24, 13 5:42 am

derk

God Made Dirt, and Dirt Will Bust Yo' Ass!
The RZA
Alpha

Postby UT » Thu Apr 25, 13 12:53 pm

Bought it when it came out. Not bad, not good. It is really too easy and I miss the riddle/puzzle..etc as in the Tomb Raider Anniversary/Underworld..

Well, the gameplay is good and the story is shit x)
Tim Sweeeeeeney<3
James wrote:Of course I do I'm living the dream!!!!

DJ wrote:wat dream

Chloe wrote:me, ofc
UT
Elite

Location: Action de déterminer avec précision le lieu de quelque chose.

Postby Tantalus » Thu Apr 25, 13 1:29 pm

UT wrote:Bought it when it came out. Not bad, not good. It is really too easy and I miss the riddle/puzzle..etc as in the Tomb Raider Anniversary/Underworld..

Ah yes, those classic Tomb Raider titles...
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Mastakilla » Thu Apr 25, 13 2:12 pm

God the games lately are so fucking shit

Especially the ones discussed on these forums

Suck me
When life gives you lemons... Squeeze them into your eyes and run across a busy intersection, faggot.
Mastakilla
Forum Super Hero

Postby James » Thu Apr 25, 13 9:20 pm

Tantalus wrote:
UT wrote:Bought it when it came out. Not bad, not good. It is really too easy and I miss the riddle/puzzle..etc as in the Tomb Raider Anniversary/Underworld..

Ah yes, those classic Tomb Raider titles...

Still a lot more in common with the classic format (ideally is better than TR2013) and aren't afraid of being videogames.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Return to Gaming and Technology