Open and Democratic DNS provider

Share your opinions and questions about anything to do with gaming and technology.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Open and Democratic DNS provider

Postby Aidan » Thu Jun 27, 13 6:15 am

http://www.opennicproject.org/

"Are you looking for an alternative DNS provider that is open and democratic, are you concerned about censorship?"

I donated $10. Would like to see it steer in a positive direction.
Last edited by Aidan on Thu Jun 27, 13 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Alex » Thu Jun 27, 13 7:08 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you just using a random DNS server? Seeing as it's decentralized (and checking the list of servers), each DNS server has a different owner. Don't you worry about DNS spoofing/poisoning or something alike?
Alex
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Thu Jun 27, 13 7:47 am

Alex wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you just using a random DNS server? Seeing as it's decentralized (and checking the list of servers), each DNS server has a different owner. Don't you worry about DNS spoofing/poisoning or something alike?

Ha. Now that you put it that way, it does seem very redundant. Oh god...
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Alex » Thu Jun 27, 13 8:05 am

I rather have Google (or my ISP) tracking what domainnames I query, than risking my bank's website or paypal.com pointing to some malicious server.

You could use this tool https://code.google.com/p/namebench/ to see if the nameserver is somewhat reliable. The problem of malicious activity remains though, as it might work properly now, but a donated/non-professional DNS server can be hacked, whereas the chance that an official DNS server is hacked is smaller.
Alex
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Thu Jun 27, 13 8:20 am

Alex wrote:I rather have Google (or my ISP) tracking what domainnames I query, than risking my bank's website or paypal.com pointing to some malicious server.

You could use this tool https://code.google.com/p/namebench/ to see if the nameserver is somewhat reliable. The problem of malicious activity remains though, as it might work properly now, but a donated/non-professional DNS server can be hacked, whereas the chance that an official DNS server is hacked is smaller.

I see what you mean. Sucks to think that this PRISM scare is only going to help scammers.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Thu Jun 27, 13 9:37 am

I use OpenDNS, Google and my own ISP.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Thu Jun 27, 13 12:08 pm

James wrote:I use OpenDNS, Google and my own ISP.

Was never a fan of OpenDNS personally, but Google's DNS works fine for me.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Return to Gaming and Technology