WinRar Uninstall Problems.

Technical issues discussion about your computer and Deus Ex games.

Moderator: Forum Guards

WinRar Uninstall Problems.

Postby Krank » Sat May 17, 08 5:45 pm

I tried to un-install Winrar i deleted every trace of it Winrar Archiver etc. And well its still on my .Zip files! i cannot do anything with any of my zip files so i cannot install mods etc. Please help.

*Hint, If someone could create me a .bat file for vista for deleting this it would be upmost appriciated.
{A.a]starcraft wrote:do i get banned if i try to hack the forums

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our dark that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people don't feel insecure around you.We are all meant to shine as children do. Its not just in some of us; its in everyone.
Krank
Wannabe

Postby Alex » Sat May 17, 08 5:50 pm

Why do you want to delete winrar? It's a great tool for both .rar and .zip files..
Alex
Alpha

Postby Krank » Sat May 17, 08 5:58 pm

i finished using it now i like using traditional .zip archivers thats all.
{A.a]starcraft wrote:do i get banned if i try to hack the forums

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our dark that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people don't feel insecure around you.We are all meant to shine as children do. Its not just in some of us; its in everyone.
Krank
Wannabe

Postby Destroyerzero » Sat May 17, 08 7:52 pm

Its better to install 7zip over WinRar...

You have to eliminate the association between Winrar and your files. This means you uninstall the program and then eliminate any registry entry associated with the program. 7 zip has had several updates to the Compression of Zips and Rars, but for compatability they have the original compression structure...along with the updated structure.
Destroyerzero

Postby Dex » Sat May 17, 08 8:23 pm

So 7zip compresses so that it takes less space than WinRar?
Dex
Forum Hero

Postby Dae » Sat May 17, 08 8:28 pm

yes, it does

although 7zip program isn't so intuitive as WinRAR
Dae
Alpha

Postby Alex » Sat May 17, 08 8:30 pm

Dae[A] wrote:yes, it does

although 7zip program isn't so intuitive as WinRAR

http://gomeler.com/2006/07/08/file-compression-review/
According to that thing, it doesn't.
Alex
Alpha

Postby Destroyerzero » Sat May 17, 08 10:04 pm

The article itself.....is a test between the 7z and rar format between winrar and 7zip primary archiving algorithms. Its not a test comparing 7zip and WinRAR in the same compression format.

Once all the files were in place, I loaded up WinRAR and RARed the first file, then switched to 7-Zip and 7-zipped the same file. Once all four files were compressed, I performed the same action with decompression, alternating between programs as I switched through the files. In both programs I set the compression quality to the highest setting so as to achieve the highest compression with no regard to processor utilization.
Destroyerzero

Postby Alex » Sat May 17, 08 10:09 pm

Destroyerzero wrote:The article itself.....is a test between the 7z and rar format between winrar and 7zip primary archiving algorithms. Its not a test comparing 7zip and WinRAR in the same compression format.

Once all the files were in place, I loaded up WinRAR and RARed the first file, then switched to 7-Zip and 7-zipped the same file. Once all four files were compressed, I performed the same action with decompression, alternating between programs as I switched through the files. In both programs I set the compression quality to the highest setting so as to achieve the highest compression with no regard to processor utilization.

I assume the 7zip compression is better than winrar? :) If not, then why create an entire new compression method?
Alex
Alpha

Postby Destroyerzero » Sat May 17, 08 10:23 pm

I can answer this...

When 7z originally started, Microsoft was up in arms that they were copying "proprietary" formats. They got in their case because zip was a universal format, but rar was proprietary, so to save themselves they made another format.

7zip holds more integrity and its a much more stable algorithm. I switched to 7z when microsoft changed winrar so many times that my old RAR files would not decompress..and worse yet, when they did, I would get data and logic errors on such files as well....This is the reason why WinRar has been rereleased so many times.

Many in the server world were so fed up with the unreliability with Microsoft that they switched over to Linux for much greater security and changed their compression programs around.

Edit: Before you even reply...I don't care much about Eugene Roshal either...
Last edited by Destroyerzero on Sat May 17, 08 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Destroyerzero

Return to Technical issues