Abismal Packetloss

Technical issues discussion about your computer and Deus Ex games.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Abismal Packetloss

Postby -HDD21- » Mon Jan 05, 09 6:28 pm

Hi all. Im posting about a packetloss problem in DeusEx. (and unreal for that matter).

We had a power outage, and upon power returning went for a game of DX.

50-80% packetloss at all times. Its only on this PC. Its wireless is fine, but with ethernet it does this. Im starting to think a small surge may have trashed the ethernet card (please no, onboard the motherboard).
No other faults have occoured. I dont have a spare ethernet card to try, (an old ISA one, but NO ISA SLOTS HERE!). Voice chatting is also extremely dodgy, assuming because of lost packets. This PC i built myself,not a single problem until today. I do take the following precations:
Surge protectior, Ground fault interrupter outlet (the protecter was like £40 itself), Good quality powersupply, phone line surge protection. (my parents dont know crap about this, i do all this stuff :P)My server machine is showing no ill effects, and DX works without flaw on it. Narrowing it down. P.S The motherboards warrenty expires in feb. I can replace it, but i dont want to waste time unnecisarily. Also ive tried Clearing CMOS, removing all non essential expansion cards. Any other stuff you suggest i try?
Many thanks.
-HDD21-
Wannabe

Postby Jon » Tue Jan 06, 09 1:05 pm

Did you have the ethernet cable plugged in when you lost power?
Jon
Alpha

Postby KillerZ » Tue Jan 06, 09 1:19 pm

Make sure it's not the cable itself that is damaged

Try the cable elsewhere :)
KillerZ
Poster

Postby -HDD21- » Tue Jan 06, 09 7:03 pm

Did you have the ethernet cable plugged in when you lost power?

Yeah i did.

Also i tried the cable on the server machine, it works fine. No problems there
-HDD21-
Wannabe

Postby Fatman » Tue Jan 06, 09 9:31 pm

you could just pick up either a USB to Ethernet Or a PCI to Ethernet card so u dont have to pick up a new motherboard
Fatman
Wannabe

Postby -HDD21- » Tue Jan 06, 09 11:27 pm

Yeah ill do that instead. But as MBs under warrenty mightaswell get it replaced. I looked very close, and i see visble charring and scorching. You have to look very closely. its around the ethernet socket. So ill just take the motherboard for a replacement. Many thanks for all the help guys :)
-HDD21-
Wannabe

Return to Technical issues