Registry Error when booting

Technical issues discussion about your computer and Deus Ex games.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Registry Error when booting

Postby clyzm » Thu Mar 26, 09 10:57 pm

I'm on Windows 7 right now due to some kind of miracle, but otherwise, today I spent all day trying to repair it.

It will not start successfully, it is very unstable and gives me the error 0x00000051, an error Microsoft associates only with Windows 2000 and XP.

It's also clearly a registry error, according to the numerous BSODs I got today. Do you guys recommend I fix my registry with a specialized registry repair tool or something?

If it helps, it was running like a champ and the last thing I did before it became unstable was install a game. Virus scans don't show anything out of the ordinary.
Last edited by clyzm on Thu Mar 26, 09 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Dae » Fri Mar 27, 09 10:38 am

I use CrapCleaner (ccleaner.com) but I doubt registry cleaning may fix your problem. Worth a shot, though.
Dae
Alpha

Postby MainMan » Fri Mar 27, 09 12:09 pm

Does it boot? (reach the logon screen) or crash even before that?
<center>ty m7
</center>
MainMan
<i>Tru' Playa' Fer Defs</i>

Postby clyzm » Sat Mar 28, 09 1:19 am

It POSTS but, when it tries to reach the login screen and the OS is loading, it freezes and restarts the boot process.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Dae » Sat Mar 28, 09 9:27 am

Have you tried to recover to the last working point using the F5 menu?

Also try running Windows 7 install and restoring the system using it.

Two weeks ago Vista install magically helped me to restore BSOD on Vista startup. I found the restoration option while walking in the menus, so it's somewhat hidden, and the tool was particularly aimed at solving the startup problems.
Dae
Alpha

Postby clyzm » Sun Mar 29, 09 2:17 am

Dae wrote:Have you tried to recover to the last working point using the F5 menu?

Also try running Windows 7 install and restoring the system using it.

Two weeks ago Vista install magically helped me to restore BSOD on Vista startup. I found the restoration option while walking in the menus, so it's somewhat hidden, and the tool was particularly aimed at solving the startup problems.

System Restore shows no last working points, and Last Known Good Configuration doesn't work either.

I managed to fix it though, ran a registry cleaner off a bootdisk and it starts up fine, albeit still the occasional BSOD every now and then, but not as often as before.
Last edited by clyzm on Sun Mar 29, 09 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Jon » Sun Mar 29, 09 3:58 pm

I used to have this problem, was usually related to my GFX drivers. If you can boot ok in safe mode, reinstall the drivers for your card and see if that sorts it.
Jon
Alpha

Postby clyzm » Sun Mar 29, 09 6:57 pm

Jon wrote:I used to have this problem, was usually related to my GFX drivers. If you can boot ok in safe mode, reinstall the drivers for your card and see if that sorts it.

I've done this first-thing, still happens unfortunately :(
clyzm
Forum Master God

Return to Technical issues