2 Routers, 1 Phone Line

Technical issues discussion about your computer and Deus Ex games.

Moderator: Forum Guards

2 Routers, 1 Phone Line

Postby Mr. Tastix » Fri Jun 19, 09 11:40 am

I have been trying to get this question for fucking days now, and I can't get a clear cut one so I'll try here. Here is my scenario.

I have two routers. One is a Wireless one and the other is an Ethernet one. The wireless router is in my mates bedroom, a sleep out. A few metres away from the house itself.

My bedroom hosts the Ethernet router. The wireless router's range can reach our lounge (just barely) but it does not reach my room. At all. This is why I have an Ethernet router.

What I want to do is connect my router to the internet. Via a private LAN. Basically just so I have internet access on my new PC. The router is all set up, I can access the web setup configuration things and after looking on Google for answers I also found I have to assign the two routers to a separate IP (first router is 192.168.1.X, second router is 192.168.2.X).

Unfortunately, I'm stuck there pretty much. Can't get it working from that point onwards. Searching around online just leads me to people who DO have wireless routers and can use the second one as an extender, I can't do this. Or people telling them to use a hub or switch which IS NOT possible for me since I'd need a fucking long cable to connect the two, it's not worth it and too difficult a job to pursue.

All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Blood is thicker than water and sweeter than candy.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby Gishank » Fri Jun 19, 09 3:26 pm

Using two routers together like an extension, may work via some method. - But in the end you'd get a very bad internet connection.
Gishank
Forum Super Hero

Postby Dae » Fri Jun 19, 09 3:43 pm

Psychotic wrote:it does not reach my room. At all.

just get a better antenna for both router & adapter

preferably, with a long wire

you can even get a small dish for your router, so your wifi network would be shared with the whole district :lol:

what you're asking for is called a retranslator (at least, in Russian it's called like that) and they usually cost a hell lot
Dae
Alpha

Postby Siva » Fri Jun 19, 09 4:34 pm

Here's what you should do.

Buy a longer ethernet cable.
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Postby ~SaSQuAtCH~ » Fri Jun 19, 09 7:49 pm

longer cable=more packet loss?
~SaSQuAtCH~
Master

Postby Professor Layton » Fri Jun 19, 09 8:06 pm

I think ethernet cables can easily be 30 meters without any packetloss.
GrandpaTerran wrote:THIS MAP HAS BEEN POSTPONED FOR NOW I'LL RE-DEVELOP WHEN I HAVE COMPLETED MY MAPPING TRAINING
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby majinbuu1023 » Sat Jun 20, 09 6:01 am

Dae wrote:
Psychotic wrote:it does not reach my room. At all.

just get a better antenna for both router & adapter

preferably, with a long wire

you can even get a small dish for your router, so your wifi network would be shared with the whole district :lol:

what you're asking for is called a retranslator (at least, in Russian it's called like that) and they usually cost a hell lot

Hmm, is that possibly a repeater?

Clix wrote:I think ethernet cables can easily be 30 meters without any packetloss.

Yes, they can, I think they can actually go further than that, about 100-150m, but dunno how much a cable that long would cost.
majinbuu1023

Postby Mr. Tastix » Sat Jun 20, 09 6:38 am

I could get a 100m Ethernet cable but like I said, it's extremely inconvenient as it would have to through several ceilings to achieve the desired effect.

I'm thinking of just getting a USB Wireless Modem and a Wireless Router. Yes, I've heard the stories about USB modems sucking (dunno how true this is though) but having no warranty because I took the back panel off of the case to insert a wireless modem is even worse, IMO.
Last edited by Mr. Tastix on Sat Jun 20, 09 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blood is thicker than water and sweeter than candy.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby ~Sandro~ » Sat Jun 20, 09 4:15 pm

lol when i read the post name i thot it was some kind of 2 girls 1 cup joke...
~Sandro~
Regular

Return to Technical issues