Deus Ex with Linux [HOW-TO]

Technical issues discussion about your computer and Deus Ex games.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Deus Ex with Linux [HOW-TO]

Postby Alistair » Mon Mar 01, 10 2:45 pm

A few years back I wrote a shell script to install DX on Linux/GNU however I think it would be easier to write it into a how-to. Here we go:-

DISCLAIMER: I will not be held responsible for any damage caused to your machine or network. The links below were scanned and were shown to be virus-free on the date this article was written (01/03/10).

STEP 1:- Download yourself a copy of Wine from http://www.winehq.org/. (Ubuntu or Debian users can simply login as root via bash and type "apt-get install wine")

STEP 2:- Install Deus Ex using Wine. These days you can simply right click on the installer executable and click "run with wine". If this is not the case simply load up terminal and type in "wine /pathtocdrom/Setup.exe". In most cases the path to the cdrom is /media/cdrom0.

Follow the instructions as you normally would on Windows.

STEP 3:- Download and run the shell script "blow" programmed by myself. This will download and install wine-friendly versions of OpenGLDrv.dll and MSVCP60.DLL in the appropriate directories.

This can be run via terminal by the command "sh blow.sh". Make sure you are not logged in as root when you do this as this will cause permission complications within your system.

After completing these three steps you will be ready to play Deus Ex on Linux smoothly. Performance will highly demand on your video card setup. Companies like nVidia who create native drivers for Linux will have are much higher performance than say an "SIS" card which uses the default xorg/x-server drivers.

TIPS & TRICKS

a.) I advise running a less memory intensive gui (graphical user interface) such as "fluxbox". This will really boost your performance especially if you're considering hosting.

last updated 01/03/10
Last edited by Alistair on Mon Mar 01, 10 2:54 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Alistair
Forum Hero

Postby ~s0ap~ » Sun Nov 07, 10 7:51 pm

Not Found

The requested URL /dx/blow.sh was not found on this server.
Apache Server at www.ez-design.co.uk Port 80
~s0ap~
Wannabe

Postby Batchy » Sat Dec 25, 10 8:25 pm

Mr.Fagstix wrote:This is why I fucking hate you. Because somehow you manage to take somebodies posts, twist them against them, troll them and flame bait them and then you still get away with it? Is this forums management on fucking crack or some shit? Fucking SERIOUSLY.
Batchy
Addict

Return to Technical issues