DX1 hangs on startup, Sound is to blame

Technical issues discussion about your computer and Deus Ex games.

Moderator: Forum Guards

DX1 hangs on startup, Sound is to blame

Postby masterxan » Thu Aug 19, 10 6:14 pm

So I'm trying to do another playthrough of Deus Ex (this time a stealth one), and can't get things running. Install went fine, began to load up mods and texture packs, tried to run the game once before finishing all the addon process (otherwise some of the mods don't work right), and the game hangs.

Trial and error taught me the game loads in its own safe-mode thing if the sound is disabled. I kind of want to play WITH sound though, so...

I'm running DX game of the year edition, Win7 32-bit pro. The game worked fine on the same computer back when I had Win Vista, so its not the hardware. But maybe the drivers...? I dunno, what are your guys' thoughts?
"O be wise, what can I say more?" -Jacob 6:12
masterxan

Postby Dae » Thu Aug 19, 10 9:41 pm

Post your DeusEx.log (you can upload an attachment after you press the "post reply" button).
Dae
Alpha

Postby masterxan » Fri Aug 20, 10 1:00 am

Done. I've made a few attempts to do some things, and I'm not sure how far back the log normally goes. There may be multiple entries.
Attachments
DeusEx.log
(159.66 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
masterxan

Postby Dae » Fri Aug 20, 10 9:54 am

Does the game without any mods work fine though?
Dae
Alpha

Postby masterxan » Fri Aug 20, 10 5:53 pm

I don't think I managed to install anything. GotY doesn't require a patch, and one of the first mods I tried requires the game to be run first, so I tried to run the game before doing anything except the otp UI fix, and I'm using D3D since I thought it would help. But the game didn't run without D3D either.
masterxan

Postby Dae » Fri Aug 20, 10 6:23 pm

that's complicated shit man :eh:
Dae
Alpha

Postby MainMan » Sat Aug 21, 10 12:10 am

The problem might be caused by D3D10.... Try running in software rendering as a test and see what happens?
<center>ty m7
</center>
MainMan
<i>Tru' Playa' Fer Defs</i>

Postby masterxan » Sat Aug 21, 10 5:13 am

Alrighty, here's an update on my progress.

Updated my graphic drivers and sound drivers. Using D3D10, the game now loads to a black screen. Hitting any key causes it to exit, no error message.

Using any other rendering options, I get the same problem as before. To be more specific, as I see I didn't explain well in my first post, the game will begin to load, then crash to desktop with the generic "Deus Ex had problems" error message.

Now, funny thing is, if I disable sound using the safe mode thing, then the game loads to its menu- but not for long. After about 60-90 seconds at the menu, the controls lock. Mouse won't move or click, keyboard controls lock. The logo in the background is still spinning however, and a simple alt+tab gets me out where I can close DX manually.

However, when I close it down that way, and ONLY if I had sound disabled, then I get a super-long error message. A screenshot of said message is attached. Its labeled a "general protection fault."

So... any ideas? As a sidenote, I also updated Win7 and DirectX, without effect.

EDIT: Attached image was too stinkin' huge. Here's a link:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v286/ ... nFault.jpg
Last edited by masterxan on Sat Aug 21, 10 5:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
masterxan

Return to Technical issues