GOTY installation - asked to overwrite files

Technical issues discussion about your computer and Deus Ex games.

Moderator: Forum Guards

GOTY installation - asked to overwrite files

Postby Misterer » Wed Jun 01, 11 11:15 am

Hello,

During vanilla GOTY edition installation I was asked to overwrite some files (this is on a clean system, the game has never been installed before). Is this normal? It doesn't make sense for an installer to overwrite files it created itself.
Misterer

Postby Shinobi » Wed Jun 01, 11 11:50 am

I wouldn't worry about it. Some specifics would be nice, though - what files?
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Shinobi
Master

Postby Misterer » Wed Jun 01, 11 12:15 pm

Here's how it looks:

http://imageshack.us/f/641/deusex3.jpg/

This was uploaded by another user with the same problem (I've found the screenshot by accident). Apparantly I have exactly the same re-release by Sold Out since my installer looks identical.

I'm not sure what else I could add. I don't remember all the filenames that were overwritten, but I think most of them were .u files. The overwrite messages pop up during extraction of SystemFiles.exe, TextureFiles.exe or MDMaps.exe archives.

I know GOTY edition is almost like a patched standard edition (1.112fm). It could be that the installer asks me to overwrite OLDER or NEWER files, or maybe they are the same, I can't tell. What I'd like to avoid is ending up with a GOTY installation with a few files from some 1.0x version.
Last edited by Misterer on Wed Jun 01, 11 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Misterer

Postby Shinobi » Wed Jun 01, 11 12:32 pm

I have the GOTY edition but this has never happened.

Weird. Apparently the GOTY edition is a bit fucked (see here: http://offtopicproductions.com/forum/vi ... 964096b427)

Up to you.

Patched deusex.u with some of the changes listed on site above: http://deusexv2.googlecode.com/files/DeusExV2.zip
Shinobi
Master

Postby Alex » Wed Jun 01, 11 1:19 pm

Yeah Shinobi, real wise to advise that.

I would not use that 'patched' DeusEx.u as it will disable you to play multiplayer. (version mismatch anyone?).

Misterer, if I can recall correctly, it's normal. GOTY's install disc is a bit odd, it has all files unpacked already, plus a self extracting .exe with all the files as well. The installer first copies all files from the disc, and then runs the self extracting .exe's, which will ask if you want to overwrite. As far as I know, the files on the disc & in the .exe are the same, so you can just answer "Yes". Should it give any troubles though, just reinstall I guess? :)
Alex
Alpha

Postby Professor Layton » Wed Jun 01, 11 1:22 pm

I've come across the same issue in the past when installing the 1112fm patch, just saying "Yes" should do yeah.
GrandpaTerran wrote:THIS MAP HAS BEEN POSTPONED FOR NOW I'LL RE-DEVELOP WHEN I HAVE COMPLETED MY MAPPING TRAINING
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby Shinobi » Wed Jun 01, 11 1:25 pm

Alex wrote:Yeah Shinobi, real wise to advise that.

I would not use that 'patched' DeusEx.u as it will disable you to play multiplayer. (version mismatch anyone?).

...isn't that obvious?
Shinobi
Master

Postby Professor Layton » Wed Jun 01, 11 1:26 pm

.... Then why did you link it?
Last edited by Professor Layton on Wed Jun 01, 11 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby Shinobi » Wed Jun 01, 11 1:39 pm

...because some of us have multiple installs (I have 4 but that's excessive).

I have an install for hdtp/new vision/that .u patch, one for hosting and playing mp, and one for mapping and attempted modding.
Shinobi
Master

Postby Misterer » Wed Jun 01, 11 1:44 pm

@Alex: I thought the same as well so I went to check the CD to see if there are any already unpacked files that SystemFiles.exe tries to overwrite. They are not there. For example, DeusEx.u only exists inside SystemFiles.exe. Maybe SystemFiles.exe gets extracted twice...

I wonder what their QA dept is (or used to) getting paid for if they don't see such obvious problems like this.

EDIT: I figured it out. It turns out I was right - SystemFiles.exe is extracted twice during installation. Seems like an installer bug, but apparently harmless. Overwriting or not won't make any difference.
Last edited by Misterer on Wed Jun 01, 11 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Misterer

Postby China » Wed Jun 01, 11 4:55 pm

I've seen that screen a dozen times or more! :P
Last edited by China on Wed Jun 01, 11 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.chinnysdeusexblog.wordpress.com
China
Wannabe

Return to Technical issues