Server is invisible....

Technical issues discussion about your computer and Deus Ex games.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Postby Da_Terminator » Sun Feb 29, 04 10:01 am

Did you alter Deus Ex in any shape or form (I don't mean for installing mods, I meant hardcore value changing, beside the DXMTL1.52's suggested network setting.).

Are you running any other firewall? (Software based, such as ZoneAlarm, Norton, etc..).

If not, you may want to consider a demo trial of a firewall of some sort (Norton offered one for 30 days free, I know that) so you can confirm that Deus Ex indeed "try" to access the Internet to "report" your server being hosted to Gamespy. (< That step is crucial obviously to it being seen at all from the Internet).
Da_Terminator

Postby Alex » Sun Feb 29, 04 10:30 am

No i dont have a firewall i only have virus scanners
Alex
Alpha

Postby Alex » Sun Feb 29, 04 10:32 am

*downloading firewall*
Alex
Alpha

Postby Da_Terminator » Sun Feb 29, 04 2:29 pm

Okay Norton firewall, can you try going into Options and find something called "Program Control". Then scroll in the list to find DeusEx.exe. Next to it under the Internet Access section will be some info, tell me what it said there (Its something Permit All, Block All, Custom..).

This may be to be very specific, so if the program you just describe to me earlier isn't anything but plain "Norton Firewall" but rather a packaged Norton Systemworks or Antivirus/Firewall, you let me know the full specific name.
Da_Terminator

Postby Alex » Sun Feb 29, 04 2:34 pm

its Norton Personal Firewall and i permitted deus ex forever but i dont have an option program control.
Alex
Alpha

Postby Da_Terminator » Sun Feb 29, 04 3:01 pm

Try a reinstallation of Deus Ex. Host all over again and see if it show up in the Multiplayer's section, then try to connect to your server at the splash screen (through "open <youriphere>") and see if it goes through.

Not sure If I can think of any other possibility except maybe your Cable ISP already blocked the range of 7790-7792 and 27900 ports for whatever reason. That would have secured your failture from the start.
Da_Terminator

Postby Alex » Sun Feb 29, 04 3:15 pm

Ehmm i spoke with my dad and we have here 2 kinds of connections dont know how to say them in english but in dutch they are dinamisch (dynamic) statisch (static?)
dynamic is more ips and static is 1 ip i more ips but i try to reinstall (so i am making alot of backups...)
Alex
Alpha

Postby Jeoh » Sun Feb 29, 04 5:28 pm

Dynamic and static, yes.
Jeoh
Forum Legend

Postby Da_Terminator » Sun Feb 29, 04 5:31 pm

Yea Static would be good for hosting servers, you want to consider that. But it doesn't really play a role in you hosting for other to connect though...

Try the reinstallation and try the suggestions I gave above, I'll be back to read about your experiements.
Da_Terminator

Postby Blade » Sun Feb 29, 04 7:17 pm

WAAAAAAAAIT a moment
noone considered the simpliest solution here (or i didnt read it, however i will tell it)
do u have winxp (or maybe 2000) by chance?
if yes you have automatically a default firewall activated on the connection, just disable it (and dl a good one, its better, for example zonealarm) from the advanced tab of the connection properties

if u dont have xp (i'm not sure on 2000) then dont care of what i said :mrgreen:
May the Force be with you...

Don't forget to see my site and to download my maps (and to post feedbacks on the forum!):
.: Blade's Deus Ex World, with my maps! :.
Blade
Wannabe

Postby Jeoh » Sun Feb 29, 04 7:23 pm

Yes i have windows xp!maybe it is the solution!(oh yeah i am not logged in)(Mr.X)
But how do i shut the fire wall off?!?!?!
Jeoh
Forum Legend

Postby Da_Terminator » Wed Mar 03, 04 12:45 pm

I've personally seen XP working twice when my friends drag their laptop over for our LAN, so .. I am pretty sure it involve going into "Networking" (That's in Control Panel) and going to advance, there shoud be a tick-box (Although If I remember correctly, that was default "Off" on my friend's new Compaq's laptop).

Hope you find the place.
Da_Terminator

Postby Blade » Sat Mar 06, 04 7:08 pm

its in the advanced tab of the connection properties, you can get them by right-clicking on the connection and choosing porperties
it doesnt say firewall but something like "protect pc against attacks from the net", cause ms wants you not to know what you r exactly doing by pressing a button :D :D
May the Force be with you...

Don't forget to see my site and to download my maps (and to post feedbacks on the forum!):
.: Blade's Deus Ex World, with my maps! :.
Blade
Wannabe

Previous

Return to Technical issues