Servers with firewalls

Technical issues discussion about your computer and Deus Ex games.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Servers with firewalls

Postby Helios » Thu Oct 23, 03 12:57 am

What do i do to have a firewall and server active at the same time?
Helios

Postby Da_Terminator » Thu Oct 23, 03 8:41 am

Depending on the firewall you're using (hardware or software).

If you have hardware firewall then you probally are aware of such existence, its often package together with router also (There if you're hooked in a home network scenerio).

You'll need to access the router's configuration menu (Consult your manual if necessary) and forward ports "7790" to "7792" (TCP as well as UDP protocol) to direct them to computer you're planning to host from [Local address-wised speaking]

You'll also have to forward ports "27900" to "27900" (UDP Protocol Only) and redirect them too toward your designated server's Local IP.

Go to Start / Run. Type in "winipcfg" (For Win95 / Win98) / "ipconfig" (For NT, 2000, XP) Hit Enter; If you're unsure what your Local IP is ; HINT : It saids "IP Address" next to its value.

Pay attention to the menu's buttons, there might be a tick box for "Enabled". Be sure to Enable the boxes next to your set server ports forwarding.

Don't forget to Click "Save" or "Apply" on the bottom of that menu. Give the server a try now.

--

If you are using software firewall as many home users are (perhaps even as a secondary line of defense from workstation and such..). Often distinguished by its shining icon down by the Task Bar icon (Yes, by the Clock) so highlight over 'em with your mouse for a potential sign.

Bring up the software firewall program up (Double click on that shining icon often does the trick) and search for where it keep track of "Allow" and "Not-Allow" programs (Try Options) [Vary from firewall to firewall]. You'll then be able to Add another program, Add Deus Ex. Look around for "Server" and "Net Access" or something of that variation (Check those boxes as appropriate).

Having trouble finding the DX program to add? ( "c:deusexsystemdeusex.exe" is what you want).

Save if necessary and exit the program. Run the game as a server.

--

Give those a try, shouldn't be that tough but if you run into trouble you can always shout back at me through one of the addies available by clicking on "Profile" (Its under this post... should be, yes.)
Last edited by Da_Terminator on Sat Feb 28, 04 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Da_Terminator

Postby Aussiefella » Thu Oct 23, 03 9:28 am

wow lol, that confusing but cool! :twisted:
Aussiefella
Master

Postby Dae » Thu Oct 23, 03 9:31 am

Great post, Da Terminator!
Winipcfg? It doesn't work. I have Windows XP. Maybe you mean command called IP Config (ifconfig)? I have DSL but i can't host a server. I don't know why, y deusex.ini is correct and server logs are ok, except one line says that server can't connect 3-rd server (master.gamespy.com or something like that). By the way, my server can connect to first and second servers. I've met some guys that have such problems (on ISA forums), but i haven't find answer.
Dae
Alpha

Postby Da_Terminator » Thu Oct 23, 03 10:29 am

[ALPHA]AussieFella wrote:wow lol, that confusing but cool! :twisted:

o_0 I don't know, I divided out the two types of firewall and instruction specifically for the each of the two. Can only get more specific and intemmite if I had thorough knowledge of it (Course, that will depend on the make/maker and model/version you're using).

|ALPHA|Daedalus wrote:Winipcfg? It doesn't work. I have Windows XP. Maybe you mean command called IP Config (ifconfig)?

Well its brings up the "IP Configuration" menu, certainly would be different a command to reach it from XP. I should have noted that specifically.

.... except one line says that server can't connect 3-rd server (master.gamespy.com or something like that).

By the way, my server can connect to first and second servers

What do you mean by that? Can you be more specific? Help to troubleshoot this out.

I've met some guys that have such problems (on ISA forums), but i haven't find answer.

Can I get a link to those thread[s] or post[s] on the ISA if you still have them bookmarked?
Da_Terminator

Postby Aussiefella » Tue Oct 28, 03 9:28 pm

..... :? :? :? :?: :? :?:
Aussiefella
Master

Postby Blade » Wed Jan 21, 04 10:39 pm

as for the ip, versions having the nt kernel (nt, 2000, xp) use the ipconfig command instead of winipcfg (just another confusing useless change from m$ :mrgreen:)

the problem you're having is caused by xp itself, i had the same problem too
xp by default activates on every connection a firewall, now you can configure it as previously posted by selecting the connection properties, going to the "advanced" tab and clicking "settings" (i dont know if the names are those since i'm translating from italian). however, i've decided to disable it (in the same tab) and to download a better firewall (zonealarm), even though software firewalls are not so useful, probably unuseful at all :lol:
i hope i gave you some useful suggestion
May the Force be with you...

Don't forget to see my site and to download my maps (and to post feedbacks on the forum!):
.: Blade's Deus Ex World, with my maps! :.
Blade
Wannabe

Re: to find out ur ip on win xp,

Postby DoughBoy » Sun Feb 01, 04 8:38 pm

To find your ip Easily go to http://www.whatismyip.com
Last edited by DoughBoy on Sat Jul 17, 04 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoughBoy
Elite

Postby DoughBoy » Sun Feb 01, 04 8:39 pm

** Sticky **

:D
DoughBoy
Elite

Postby Alistair » Wed Aug 24, 05 11:03 am

How do you open ports via DMZ Server?..
Alistair
Forum Hero

Postby Alistair » Tue Oct 04, 05 2:07 am

On your router, the local ip is what your LAN reconises as an offline IP, such as 10.*.*.* or 192.*.*.*. Your WAN Ip (Such as 68.*.*.*) is made by using a protocol (DHCP, PPoE, PPoA, etc). You put your local ip in making it easier for the network to see which computer has which ports open. Heres an example, sorry for the lines, my graphics card is faulty at the moment.

Alistair
Forum Hero

Postby Eçheløn » Fri Sep 08, 06 4:41 am

my software firewall (Kapersky Anti-Hacker)
has a "Stealth Mode" option.
i have fowarded all my ports and server still wont show.
would it be because of this "Stealth Mode" ?

heres what it says in the ReadMe:

Stealth mode. This mode allows only the network activity initiated by you, all other types of activity (remote access to your machine, checking of your machine using the ping utility and so on) are prohibited, if not explicitly allowed by the user rules.
Actually it means that you computer becomes "invisible" from the external environment
Eçheløn
Poster

Postby Dae » Fri Sep 08, 06 10:17 am

ECHELON wrote:my software firewall (Kapersky Anti-Hacker)
has a "Stealth Mode" option.
i have fowarded all my ports and server still wont show.
would it be because of this "Stealth Mode" ?

heres what it says in the ReadMe:

Stealth mode. This mode allows only the network activity initiated by you, all other types of activity (remote access to your machine, checking of your machine using the ping utility and so on) are prohibited, if not explicitly allowed by the user rules.
Actually it means that you computer becomes "invisible" from the external environment

Does your server work when AntiHacker is completely disabled?
Dae
Alpha

Postby Eçheløn » Fri Sep 08, 06 1:14 pm

no it doesnt work.
Eçheløn
Poster

Postby Dae » Fri Sep 08, 06 1:37 pm

ECHELON wrote:no it doesnt work.

Then your problem is not related to AntiHacker :)
Dae
Alpha

Postby Eçheløn » Fri Sep 08, 06 3:10 pm

hmm i did all the port forwarding and stuff (including disabling firewall like you said).
and i dont understand why it wont come on :?
guess im a player not a hoster then :(
Eçheløn
Poster

Postby Dae » Fri Sep 08, 06 4:33 pm

ECHELON wrote:hmm i did all the port forwarding and stuff (including disabling firewall like you said).
and i dont understand why it wont come on :?
guess im a player not a hoster then :(

You also have to have a external IP address. Call your Internet provider and ask them if you have it / how can you have it.
Don't give up with hosting.
Dae
Alpha

Postby {17}Ales » Fri Sep 08, 06 4:52 pm

Hmmm if it doesnt come up but comes up in the lan section im told it allways will comeup in the lan section because it on your router your pc but anyway ive got that problem to but when I was checking the logs it I found some problems with finding or connecting to one of the 3 master servers can some one give me a list of master servers that should be there!
My msn is now updated add me xD.
{17}Ales
Regular

Postby Dae » Fri Sep 08, 06 5:31 pm

I found some problems with finding or connecting to one of the 3 master servers can some one give me a list of master servers that should be there!

Everyone gets those errors. Fragaholic connects in 30% cases, EpicGames in about 50%, so that's normal :) GameSpy is the main and by the way, you don't really need to connect to them, since players connect only to GameSpy.
Dae
Alpha

Postby {17}Ales » Fri Sep 08, 06 5:51 pm

Oh but I dont get it why doesnt it work its like some kinda curse or something you know :cry: I reallly wanna host :shock: .
My msn is now updated add me xD.
{17}Ales
Regular

Postby Da_Terminator » Sat Sep 09, 06 4:38 am

Have you guy/gals try entering your designated server computer's address into the DMZ of the router yet? to see if your server "show up" on the list ?
Da_Terminator

Postby Alistair » Sat Sep 09, 06 9:44 am

That would work I guess, you just update the first post as I run a DX server with

7790UDP
7791UDP
7792UDP
8777UDP
27900UDP

Still I think DXMP doesn't need that many ports but it likes to play around with 7791 and 7792.
Alistair
Forum Hero

Postby DarkKnight » Sat Sep 09, 06 8:54 pm

Konami wrote:That would work I guess, you just update the first post as I run a DX server with

7790UDP
7791UDP
7792UDP
8777UDP
27900UDP

Still I think DXMP doesn't need that many ports but it likes to play around with 7791 and 7792.

From the DXMP docs:

Hosting a Game

Every multiplayer game requires a PC to act as host. The host machine can also be used by a player in the game. (This is a "non-dedicated server.") The more powerful the host machine is the better overall game performance will be. If you are behind a firewall, make sure that ports 7790, 7791, 7792 and 27900 are allowed through.

Enable both TCP and UDP.
I'm a lover, that's why I do this posting.
I don't need the forum,
I do it to save you ignorant bastards from your self.
DarkKnight
Forum Super Hero

Return to Technical issues