Let's play Deus Ex: Invisible War

Discussion about the sequel by Ion Storm.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Postby James » Thu Apr 21, 11 6:36 pm

Episode 11: The Medina

We've arrived in old Cairo, you can see this is the first area to resemble areas that actually exist in real life. Above us the sky is emitting a sickly purple colour, it's more of pollution than actual light atmosphere.

[spoiler="CLICK TO VIEW EPISODE"]Hey look we got a map of the Medina!

Haha, anyway we found these in the landing pad tower:

We're going to the other part of the Marina to look for the Nassif family then going to the Mosque to meet up with Billie. We're not rushing to do what the WTO askes us to do. We'll get to the Archology next update.

On the way we bump into old friends.

Damn Templars. Leo is right, why should you trust them running about when you're full of biomods?

Also Nano-swell 11, woh-oh.

A lot of interesting announcer stuff:

So the purple haze... heh.

So the purple haze... we shouldn't worry because it's only nanobot parasites eating away your skin in the atmosphere of old Cairo. Anyway, more announcements:

We arrive at the block of apartments, there's a well off female and a very sick man pleading to her.

Sick poet: "It's good to see you again, darling. Any news about that apartment?"
Arcology citizen: "Apartment? Oh, that one. Already leased. Sorry."
Sick poet: "Are you really trying to find me a place to live in the arcology? Don't you want to be able to see each other more often?"
Arcology citizen: "It's a lot of money. We'll attract my husband's attention if I don't handle this properly. He is pretty clueless, but has started asking questions about certain expenses..."
Sick poet: "I'm stuck out here. (cough cough) And I haven't been able to work on any of my poetry... I was always meant to be an arcology citizen. No one here will ever appreciate my writing."
Arcology citizen: "I will, sweetie. Hey, thanks for being here for me. I love this, and I love US. But you know that I've got to get back. I'll send word when I find an apartment."
(The woman leaves)
Sick poet: "If only I could get away from all this, I just know I could be a poet."

Sad story.

Little entry with these two chaps...

Interesting, anyway, we arrive at the Nassif family home after the first flight of stairs.

We should rescue the niece for sure, but once again, no rush. Before leaving you find this in the bedroom:

Let's head to the Mosque.

Music: Cairo Mosque

We get an usual weapon check and disabling once inside.

Image: "This is a weapons-free zone. To enter, you must submit a deactivation procedure -- I'll transmit the encrypted safety-lock bytecodes to freeze all your weapons, on or in your person. When you leave, sensors will reactivate everything you've got."
Image: "Okay."
Image: "Thanks, you're free to enter now."

Before heading inside the mosque to liason with Billie, there's an infirmary that catches my eye. As we enter there's a woman muttering "citta" over and over, there's two ill men talking by her.

Sick man 1: "Maybe it IS a judgement on us..."
Sick man 2: "Someone in the arcology started that rumour so that we'd blame ourselves."
Sick man 1: "Everything has a reason."
Sick man 2: "They think Plague 11 is just another punishment for us being lazy and poor."
Sick man 1: "They cannot be so wicked as that. No one chooses to live in the medina."
Sick man 2: "Exactly. THEY do all of the choosing. First I'm not from the right family, now they shut me out because I'm sick. No one works their way up from Plague 11."
Sick man 1: "Then why am I sick? I exercise, eat right, I always wear my breather when I'm out in the medina..."
Sick man 2: "But when did you start using it? Only years after of breathing this air, just like me. We did not know any better. Then by the time they started getting the word out, we were already sick."
Sick man 1: "Sometimes I don't know how long I can keep fighting this. (cough cough)"
Sick man 2: "Hey, don't give up. Someone will come up with a cure. Maybe one of the Nassifs. They have the real brains in that family."

The room on the far opposite is full of casualties from the plague. The infirmary's physician snarls you.

Image: "You look fine to ME."
Image: "Anything I can do to help?"
Image: "Just stay out of the way. Too many patients, no time for chitchat."
Image: "As you wish. I just stopped by to talk to a friend of mine, Billie Adams. She's working with the Order Church."
Image: "The woman from Seattle -- yes. Where are you from? New Cairo? Why come here? The air in the medina is polluted."
Image: "Is it that serious?"
Image: "Just take a look outside. It's nanite dust these people breathe -- from Nanite Swell 11. Particles like little insect -- unaffected by the wind. Probably a leak from a pre-Collapse laboratory that's been forgotten for two decades."
Image: "(sigh) These poor people..."

Your attention focuses to a little girl and her mother.

Image: "Maybe if they knew that I'm sick, they'd let me in."
Image: "I wish it could be that way, baby."
Image: "I guess I just wasn't smart enough."
Image: "Nonsense."
Image: "(cough cough) Why won't they at least let us in the city?"
Image: "The air's not so bad inside the mosque. You'll start to feel better. Just get some rest and forget about Tarsus. It's a very selective program."

Tarsus?, this sick kid was trying to get into Tarsus Academies? Relevant, let's intervene.

Image: "Wha---!"
Image: "I don't mean to interrupt...." [sic]
Image: "You startled me there. Guess I'm a little preoccupied."
Image: "What's wrong?"
Image: "Well, it's my daughter, Mina. Look at her!"
Image: "(cough cough) it's okay, Mom. I'll get better."
Image: "Ever since she didn't get into the Tarsus Academy, her infection has been getting worse. She should be up on Level 107 right now, in her own dorm room, studying and breathing filtered air. She's always been such a... good student... (sobs)"
Image: "I wish there was something I could do."
Image: "That's very kind. (sniffle) But unless you're on the admissions committee at the academy -- or unless you're someone who can hack in and put "Mina Ameer" on the acceptance list, there's really not much to do except wait and pray."
Image: "Really, Mom, I'll be fine."
Image: "Some of us still worship the old gods, despite everything that's happened."
Image: "She wants to get into Tarsus, huh? I'll see what I can do."

We're going to do this. It's just not fair. The front of a corporation that spied on our lives did offer Alex D and Billie Adams a lot even from the slums of Chicago, this is nothing but benefit to Mina and Mrs. Ameer.

Let's go into the interior chambers of the Mosque, wow, this looks nice for a 2003 game...

Let's go see Billie, who is having a conversation with the middle aged man in the robe -- looks important.

Interesting views, sects in a sect?

In the Order office we take a weapons mod, forgot what it is, regardless.

Upgraded to EMP converter, we had a spare I wanted to use.

Next update we will be approaching:

Through the Mosque entrance, convenient, no back-tracking![/spoiler]

[spoiler][/spoiler]
Last edited by James on Thu Apr 21, 11 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James
Alpha

Postby Dae » Thu Apr 21, 11 6:46 pm

AAAAH IT BUR~~ OH-oh

downloading DX:IW :oops:
Dae
Alpha

Postby James » Thu Apr 21, 11 6:54 pm

Can appearing in mid air at 46s.
James
Alpha

Postby lfcjake » Fri Apr 22, 11 12:53 am

Well played James, that was an awesome read.
| Justice for the 96 |
Steam: lfcjake
lfcjake
Wannabe

Postby James » Sat Apr 23, 11 11:57 am

Episode 12: Level 107 and Cairo Tarsus Academy

[spoiler="CLICK TO VIEW EPISODE"]There's a map between the two ramps.

On arrival to Level 107 we see an old AI friend.

Definitely less suspicious than the last one. I did not return the information to her in Vox as I do not want to piss off the Omar more.

Pequod's is here too:

Seems we'll have to choose to endorse only one of the stores, looks like I'll be leaning towards the Biomod reward, so Pequod's it is.

Conversation between some people at the cafe...

Novelist: "It will be a book about rulers, you know. Great personalities."
Patron: "Uh-huh..."
Novelist: "Because that is how things really get done -- country club, penthouse suite, bedroom..."
Patron: "Sounds exciting."
Novelist: "For instance, what if this new members-only club -- the Knights Templar -- what if they are a fiction? What if Chairman Dumier and one of his old drinking buddies concocted the idea as a way to distract people?"
Patron: "Distract people from what?"
Novelist: "You know, what's really going on..."
Novelist: "My main character, he's going to be extremely powerful but conflicted."
Novelist: "What he decides will affect how billions of people live for centuries to come, but like all people he has to contend with his own frailty and petty appetites."
Patron: "Sounds like an interesting man."
Novelist: "That is how I think Chairman Dumier must feel. He could deregulate nanotech construction, and Symmetriad Corporation could fill the planet with New Cairo pyramids in about three years."
Patron: "You're going to critixize the leader of the WTO -- in print?"
Novelist: "My character is not called Dumier, but, well, yes -- he was a freedom fighter in Europe before the Collapse. He had great ideals and now finds himself beholden to crude realities."

Sounds alright, but have the WTO changed the world for centuries to come?

Some more coffee reading banter:

I am absolutely gob smacked how much coffee reading material is in this game, it's like they're trying to tell me to drink coffee or die. I've upped my intake from 3 cups to 9 pitchers since playing this again.

Moving on we see a templar recruiting kiosk.

RUDE.

Let's sort this out.

(As you can see I may or may not have killed an SSC chief for the security guard harvest biomod thing)

Anyway, inside the templar safe there was this:

Polluted little monsters?!

We're going to head for the Tarsus Academy now, just going to spam 11 announcement images:

Onward to the academy.

(As you can see, I enrolled Mina Ameer on the system approval list!)

I guess this is that Archer fellow, we already know what he's up to but lets find the two missing students.

A lot of reading material:

Let's see what's in the school's chemistry labs.

That was easy, so why couldn't they just activate the turrets like I did?

Let's reap the rewards:

Now let's find Harry Potter, I mean Eeva Nassif.

Haha, good job. I knew I kept you for a reason.

Anyway before we sort him out let's have a looksie about.

Oh look.

We can use these...

Now all ends well, no more creepy head teachers to worry about children.

Next update we'll be seeing what 108 and beyond holds[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Image
Piezochem W31V Repair bot concept art

PURITY[/spoiler]
Last edited by James on Sat Apr 23, 11 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James
Alpha

Postby James » Sat Apr 23, 11 10:16 pm

Episode 13: Level 108 and 110

Just checking level 108.

[spoiler="CLICK TO VIEW EPISODE"]

The arcology chairman responding to claims to rumours regarding his corrupt activities.

Let's check we killed the right guy earlier.

Yup that's the chief.

Yup definitely the right one.

Also to note the locker next to him holds a spiderbomb and a mag-rail. So much for a prototype...?

We're off to floor 101, which is in:

We're not upgrading anything.

Back in level 101 there's a conversation between a mother and daughter.

Daughter: "...but I saw it in the news, all of Chicago, gone..."
Mother: "I know it's scary, but don't worry, they'll find the terrorists. And we're very safe here in the arcology."
Daughter: "They're making us do security drills at the academy."
Mother: "We're on guard now. We take extra precautions. And the SSC is out in full force."
Daughter: "Daddy says the SSC couldn't fight their way out of a medina playground."
Mother: "Yes... well... your father was just being a comedian..."

Sick burn.

FYI the arrivals to Cairo:

Little confirmation of the survival of these cities in the post-Collapse society. :)

BIG ANNOUNCEMENT SPAM I WILL NOT POST:
http://imgur.com/a/8IP1z#I86ZW

Anyway, let's go see the woman at the desk for the Omar.

May as well work with the WTO for this one too, wow, missions for all 3 factions here...

SO, we're off to flight bay 24 then?

Let's go to flight bay 23.

Some reading material.

Connecting to the events at 24 then?

Alright.

FUCK that thing is big isn't it?

Reference of the Panzerwerks RB-76 Military bot
[img]http://i.imgur.com/YW4x6.png[img]

Beefy mother fucker, basically the biggest robot and enemy in the game.

HA, he was corrupt as SHIT.

Also

Let's go back to 107 to the maintenance tunnels:

Ahaha, anyway, we're done here for now. Time to cash in on side quests before heading to the Nassif greenhouse.

Looks like we missed out on 100 cash. ;D

Order Mosque, we visit the Ameer family again.

Image: "I saw your daughter's name in the school's recruitment database. I moved her to the "accepted" category."
Image: "You mean...?"
Image: "Your daughter's now a Tarsus girl. Check with the authorities before letting her move into the arcology, though. There's been some trouble in the city."
Image: "Mina! Did you hear that?"
Image: "Thanks, mister."
Image: "You don't know how much this means to us. It could save her life..." (She hands Alex 5 credits)
Image: "Just get some rest for now. I'm glad I could help."

It isn't about the credits.

We use both black market biomods to upgrade EMP discharge, still not using that extra legal one.

Some reading material from the templar's spying hole logging down Omar activities.

Germans eh?

Let's leave the medina and head to our objective.

Next update:

Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image
Panzerwerks RB-76 Military bot concept art.

On this part I had to redo everything I did in Cairo, Leo DISAPPEARED or DIED. I wasn't having it.

Check the saves from Mako 4 hour 26 min to the 6 hour mark Cairo saves, my latest save is me doing EVERYTHING again in just over 30 minutes.[/spoiler]
Last edited by James on Sat Apr 23, 11 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
James
Alpha

Postby James » Sun Apr 24, 11 9:29 am

Episode 14: Nassif Greenhouse

[spoiler="CLICK TO VIEW EPISODE"]Unique boltcaster - Hellfire Boltcaster
    "A Black Market accelerator that launches an incendiary bolt."

It works exactly like the boltcaster including alt-fire scope, but the difference here is that enemies will be set on fire within a second the bolt hits the target.

It's fucking awesome.

I'm only upgrading range for now, not sure if silencer is any good but I will test it. I'm worried about if screaming will ruin all chances of stealth.

By the way, we never introduced the aero bots.

Reference of the Panzerwerks SP69/75 Aero security bot:

We've seen them in the intro and back in Seattle helping us, but I think this is the first time you have to actually fight one.

They hurt alot if they manage to get you. Two fucking miniguns.

Some reading material from Maskini:

But after infiltrating this greenhouse and...

...wrecking the entirety of the defenses, I feel that I shouldn't destroy the family's work itself. The building's security will suffice.

Hey calm down fellow insane peeps; we got an awesome weapon out of it. It burns people.

So we leave.

Oh, and finally a chance to test the Hellfire Boltcaster:

AWESOME!

Wow, that was a small update!

Next update we're going to floor 108 to get to floor 109/the corperative suites to find Dr. Nassif herself.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image
Early Panzerwerks SP69/75 Aero security bot concept art[/spoiler]
James
Alpha

Postby Spiderbot01 » Mon Apr 25, 11 1:17 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To2Kassx ... re=related

This thread is currently making me move 4GB of stuff onto my D Drive, just so I can install DX2 and watch my laptop melt.

Fuck yeaaaaaaah.

Edit: It's quite interesting the approach you take compared to the one I take. After Seattle your route is definitely different to mine, because I always go with Sid Black so I start off in the arcology to begin with, same with the different land point at Mako.

Also I've never worked out how I end up in the Tarsus academy. Half the play throughs I do, I get in, the other half I don't lol, never realised how to do it till now!
Last edited by Spiderbot01 on Mon Apr 25, 11 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<center>------</center><center>
Image</center>
<center>Image</center><
Spiderbot01
Alpha

Postby James » Mon Apr 25, 11 1:25 pm

Whoops forgot about ep15. Had it ready
James
Alpha

Postby Tantalus » Mon Apr 25, 11 3:28 pm

1 STARRED.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby James » Mon Apr 25, 11 3:42 pm

Tantalus wrote:1 STARRED.

fu I've had the videos uploaded for like 2 days I just never bothered to write it up. I'm in Trier anyway.

It's quite interesting the approach you take compared to the one I take. After Seattle your route is definitely different to mine, because I always go with Sid Black so I start off in the arcology to begin with, same with the different land point at Mako.

I go with Ava because I like difficulty.
James
Alpha

Postby James » Wed Apr 27, 11 8:00 am

Episode 15: ApostleCorp's secret

We haven't used this entrance to the arcology yet.

Disgusting.
[spoiler="CLICK TO VIEW EPISODE"]The dirty elevator leads us to the maintenance under 107, we travel to 108 to get to

Where the ApostleCorp facility is situated and overran by the Knight's Templar.

Music: Cairo ApostleCorp Lab

Holy shit the Hellfire burns up ammo!!!

We choose ammo scavenger (found next to the Hellfire) because there was NO need in that. We've gone to 4 hellfire bolts per clip instead of 3.

Passing through, turret system.

Love hacking, but seriously where is the gun on the shadow?

FUCK

I killed the wrong guy in 108, no matter, wonder what he meant by the bay. Is it in here?

Little sloppy but free scramble is awesome.

More biomods.

I get rid of my regeneration (never upgraded from level 1) and go straight for vision enhance level 3. This will give us the ability to see through walls and aid the mag-rail's shoot through them feature a lot. Sad news is that medkits are utter shite in this game.

We find Nassif at the back of the labs.

This is the part where the people who played Invisible War got confused and the people who managed to complete Deus Ex already knew the shocking revelation over Alex D's surname. From now on in this let's play, Alex D will be referred to as Alex Denton.

Also, in 2072... they've developed teleportation?, interesting. Why not teleport out of Chicago to Seattle or something? :V

(Check out the recording of Nassif's lines at 1m 16s, you can tell that was ham handed into the game!)

As you can see, fuck the security guard because we got nothing to do in Cairo now and he meant the nanoformer bay we've been to already (which you obtain the code to anyway) -- let's harvest him.

Before we leave Cairo, let's tie up side quests.

Next update: Trier, Germany.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image
Piezochem scientist concept art, the same designs are used for ApostleCorp scientists.[/spoiler]
Last edited by James on Sat Apr 30, 11 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
James
Alpha

Postby Spiderbot01 » Wed Apr 27, 11 7:12 pm

I've caught up to you now. Getting money in the game is far too easy, I've got like 6000 credits. I'm also surprised about you and regen. I live on it, rarely use medkits at all! Neural interface is the only black market biomod I use too lol.
<center>------</center><center>
Image</center>
<center>Image</center><
Spiderbot01
Alpha

Postby James » Wed Apr 27, 11 7:33 pm

I don't use it often, I drain it early game this run for repair bots. As you can see I live with the same health deficits for ages.
James
Alpha

Postby James » Sat Apr 30, 11 7:45 am

Episode 16: Nine Worlds

As we've known from Seattle, Trier is the staging ground for a summit between the WTO and Order heads over the rioting in Panzerworks.

Music: Trier Streets & Black Gate.

[spoiler="CLICK TO VIEW EPISODE"]Using glass destabilizer on the weapons display, free weapons mods.

Reading material:

Meanwhile the Order totally destroyed the Panzerwork employees.

Hippies.

Hey look a Queequeg's...

How deceitful of that advertising?, anywho let's go look at the Omar when we get to Nine Worlds, but first... MORE COFFEE SCIENCE!

You're not coffee science!!!

Moving on to the Nine Worlds Tavern, there's another security check.

Image: "The Nine Worlds is a no-weapons zone, strictly enforced since the riots."
Image: "So you want me to disarm in the middle of a warzone?"
Image: "No, you've just got to consent to the standard deactiviation procedure before entry: I'll transmit the encrypted safety-lock bytecode which will effectively freeze all your weapons. Sensors at the exit will automatically reactivate everything you're carrying when you leave."
Image: "Here you go."
Image: "Thanks for your cooperation. C'mon in."

When I think of it, why did Vox not have such a system?, did they think because of the pay to get in status they will not receive any crime at all? Idiots.

Some announcer stuff:

Heading upstairs to the abandoned store.

[yotube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdDI5F8etU8[/youtube]

A LOT OF READING MATERIAL

Hey Jacob's shadow

Hey lookie here.

What's this hidden in the corner of the room which isnt a boltcaster, energy cell, ammo and two random mines?!

Unique Pistol - Assassin Pistol
    "A 9mm pistol, manufactured by Mako Ballistics, but modified by Omar Technosect for greater range and damage."

Instead of a flashlight it holds a scope. In addition it does higher damage than the normal version and Red Greasel Hunter.

Worth it.

Got rid of the flamethrower and I want to make this act as my "templar power armour destroyer". Hopefully I'm not wrong.

A lot of reading now:

Whoops, forgot these images again thanks to retarded interface:

COFFEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

In the backrooms of the tavern we find these two characters...

Oh so that's why we couldn't use teleportation... This should be fun.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image
Ava Johnson concept art[/spoiler]
James
Alpha

Postby James » Thu May 05, 11 11:30 pm

Heads up, episode 17 has been done since the 30th of April. It will be up this weekend and we'll finish Trier in episode 18 or 19 depending on how I split it. I've just been taking a break as mentioned because rendering the videos take up my spare time and I've been relishing in DXHR PC news.

If you're wondering, yes, it was on Kate and William's special day. I originally forgot to render as I recorded it during that terrible wedding.

In other news I have realised how short this game was in comparison to the first game, I'm utterly shocked that I've realised beating the black gate part of Trier is at least 20 minutes over the average half way point of the game.

edit 15/05/2011:

I've been in an accident lately and my ear is falling off! Bare with me!
Last edited by James on Sun May 15, 11 9:15 pm, edited 5 times in total.
James
Alpha

Postby achillies000 » Fri Jul 22, 11 10:37 pm

I have kept some of the content outside of the spoiler boxes for easy recognition.
http://www.lsadensdesad.com
Last edited by achillies000 on Fri Jul 22, 11 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
achillies000

Postby Professor Layton » Fri Jul 22, 11 11:06 pm

Hows the let's play going anyway now that a spambot bumped it
GrandpaTerran wrote:THIS MAP HAS BEEN POSTPONED FOR NOW I'LL RE-DEVELOP WHEN I HAVE COMPLETED MY MAPPING TRAINING
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby James » Tue Aug 02, 11 10:04 am

Episode 17 and episode 18 are still on my hard drive!

I'd probs finish it when I'm bored again, I think we can all blame this thread for why I'm worse than you at SC2 at the moment.
Last edited by James on Tue Aug 02, 11 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Shinobi » Mon Aug 08, 11 8:36 pm

been saying this for ages but im installing now
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Shinobi
Master

Postby James » Thu Sep 29, 11 11:01 am

My videos have been quite active since DXHR was released. Mostly those upset with DX1 character changes... :)

For anyone browsing this topic from the Youtube links, I'm in no mood to finish it any time soon. Right now I have 3 hours to myself at home after work, I cook my own meals, catch up on news and friends and I play an average of 30 minutes of videogames, watching football for a few hours or reading.
This is how much time each part of the LP consumes:
- 20-30 minutes of gameplay.
- I look through my videos and cut it down. Cutting out 'boring' segments that I can write up later. This can take over an hour.
- It takes an hour or so to render multiple videos, and I write up the post during or after this.

I pledge that I will finish it eventually, just give me time. It's not like this is a great game anyway.

In comparison, a Planescape Torment let's play took 1-3 years to complete.
Last edited by James on Thu Sep 29, 11 11:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby James » Sun Feb 05, 12 10:57 pm

Someone I know has started to read this, remind me to find and fix links for music. :'(
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Mon Feb 06, 12 12:57 am

Are you going to continue where you left off?

I might continue my FFX page.
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Mon Feb 06, 12 7:54 am

I need a lot of free time.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Previous

Return to Deus Ex: Invisible War