Interesting glitch

Discussion about the original game by Ion Storm. Also known as Deus Ex: The Conspiracy.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Interesting glitch

Postby Poor » Sun Jan 22, 12 4:03 am

I was messing around in training mode and found something interesting. If you ghost into one of the rooms where a trooper takes your stuff you will see a black wall. If you go up to wall and touch it and go back and kill the trooper, he will have a bunch of stuff on his body! What is also interesting is that corpses are only coded to hold 8 inventory items yet somehow the corpse has 12.
Attachments
glitch.jpg
glitch.jpg (112.49 KiB) Viewed 15154 times
Last edited by Poor on Sun Jan 22, 12 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Poor
Poster

Postby clyzm » Sun Jan 22, 12 6:07 pm

Hey, man, why did you kill him? He didn't do anything to you...
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Mastakilla » Sun Jan 22, 12 9:01 pm

UNATCO ARE EVIL.
When life gives you lemons... Squeeze them into your eyes and run across a busy intersection, faggot.
Mastakilla
Forum Super Hero

Postby James » Sun Jan 22, 12 9:10 pm

Very interesting, thank you.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psycho » Sun Jan 22, 12 10:05 pm

I just wonder, how long did it take you to figure that one out :shock:
Psycho
Forum Hero

Postby Poor » Mon Jan 23, 12 12:28 am

I was wrong. Carci can hold more than 8 items. But it's still a mystery where all that inventory came from.
Poor
Poster

Postby Mastakilla » Mon Jan 23, 12 2:04 am

I think this is the first time I've seen the plural of carcass written as "carci" :lol:
Last edited by Mastakilla on Mon Jan 23, 12 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
When life gives you lemons... Squeeze them into your eyes and run across a busy intersection, faggot.
Mastakilla
Forum Super Hero

Postby bambi » Fri Jan 27, 12 9:49 pm

breh, you gotta get out more often
bambi
Regular

Postby James » Sat Jan 28, 12 9:17 am

bambi wrote:breh, you gotta get out more often

I hate it when people say this. They gotta get out more often and stop being bores.
Last edited by James on Sat Jan 28, 12 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Marder » Fri Feb 10, 12 5:02 pm

Mastakilla wrote:I think this is the first time I've seen the plural of carcass written as "carci" :lol:

Because 99% of teachers are actually technically speaking illiterate.

Genius - Genii
Penis - Penii

But not many people know this. I've even seen dictionaries make mistakes these days.

That is certainly an interesting glitch and makes me wonder if the Ghosting is related. I've seen ghosting cause catastrophic problems in multiplayer, like the map crash, but when no-one ghosts the map works fine.
Marder
Poster

Postby Hanover Fist » Sat Feb 11, 12 10:07 pm

Human error is a statistical inevitability which makes all of our proposed theories subject to skepticism/ relativity. This theory, like any other, can only be corroborated by other artificial proposals....
Last edited by Hanover Fist on Sat Feb 11, 12 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happiness is a full wallet and a loaded clip
Hanover Fist
Master

Postby Marder » Thu Feb 16, 12 2:02 pm

I read some horrible statistics about failure. There are things which work 100% of the time, but if they worked only 99% of the time -

112 new born babies would die every day
3 million credit card users would miss money from their account
1 unsafe aircraft landing per month at LHR

etc
Marder
Poster

Postby Hanover Fist » Fri Feb 17, 12 1:36 am

Human error in profession should account, realistically, for less than a percent it seems.
Last edited by Hanover Fist on Fri Feb 17, 12 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Happiness is a full wallet and a loaded clip
Hanover Fist
Master

Postby Psychotic » Thu Mar 01, 12 2:04 am

Marder wrote:
Mastakilla wrote:I think this is the first time I've seen the plural of carcass written as "carci" :lol:

Because 99% of teachers are actually technically speaking illiterate.

Genius - Genii
Penis - Penii

But not many people know this. I've even seen dictionaries make mistakes these days.

If a mistake is so well-known and made by billions worldwide, is it still constituted as a "mistake" that we'd simply gotten used to (and now consider "right"), or otherwise?

How do you even figure this crap out if teachers don't know this? Well, besides from being an absolute God at Latin, I suppose.

Google produces varying results, most of which are people debating how stupid you are for using the word "penii" in a serious/formal manner, instead of "penises".

As far as I'm concerned, either is correct (the English language is already full of weird stuff) Using something like "carci" or "genii" is more likely to confuse someone, however.
Psychotic
Master

Postby Marder » Sun Mar 11, 12 11:17 pm

It's not crap, it's 100% correct. The answer is simple. It's because it's not taught in most schools. Most teachers went to those types of normal school, where the teacher's themselves went to a "normal" school and never studied Latin. And yes, I studied Latin for 5 years. I also taught English at one point in foreign schools. I don't consider myself expert, just that I know Poor is correct in say carcii not carcuses.

The situation is so bad now, that even The Guardian and The Independent on front-page articles, make basic grammatical mistakes of plurals or incorrect tense. The most common being "was" when it should say "were".

I take your point, but I would never use incorrect English to make others feel more comfortable. Society is so far gone, that the Chinese 3-5 year olds I taught spoke better English than their English counterparts. (Yes they're going to run the world soon). I don't expect or hope the world will use correct English, but I'm not about to join in and repeat mistakes.

What I do when I'm writing professionally, is rather than alienate my noob audience, I would simply choose different words, so I would have said, for example "dead bodies" not carcii. This is the happy medium I found that works.

And lol @ Google. That's the internet mate. Not a book. Do you realize how few Google employees or Wikipedia writers are native English? It's a lost cause, totally. Try correcting English on wikipedia. It's sad.

@ Reclaimer. Human error in aircrash incidents is apparently the major cause, accounting for well over 50% of incidents.
Last edited by Marder on Sun Mar 11, 12 11:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Marder
Poster

Postby Poor » Sun Mar 11, 12 11:33 pm

I used the word carci because that is how it is how the dx devs wrote it in the comments. But what constitutes correct English? How can we distinguish correct English from incorrect English? Maybe correct English is what the majority believes to be correct? Some people may choose to go back to the roots but the language is evolving.
Last edited by Poor on Sun Mar 11, 12 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Poor
Poster

Postby Psychotic » Mon Mar 12, 12 12:46 am

Marder wrote:It's not crap, it's 100% correct.

You misinterpret me.

"Crap" as in "worthless, terrible, shoddy, pointless, trivial, etc" (mostly the last one), not as me expressing any form of disbelief.

Marder wrote:I take your point, but I would never use incorrect English to make others feel more comfortable.

Then expect long discussions such as this one explaining that words like "carci" are the correct plural form for words like "corpse".

Also expect people not to care, since most people won't. I don't mean this in an offensive manner, as harsh as my words come across, though. What I mean is that people will either not understand or refuse to care, as the term "corpses" or "penises" is so commonplace that yes, it may as well be right. Oh, and the general ignorance of the public, blah blah.

Marder wrote:And lol @ Google. That's the internet mate. Not a book. Do you realize how few Google employees or Wikipedia writers are native English? It's a lost cause, totally. Try correcting English on wikipedia. It's sad.

You can't blame Google for not having any definitive results on the word "carcii". Google is a search engine that searches the internet for related topics to your search queries. It is not a dictionary and it's dictionary function should be considered very basic, at best.

My belief is that languages aren't so black and white and easily definable. New words have been added to the various, popular dictionaries across the globe many times over the years. New, legitimate words are made everyday. Who is to say what is truly right and wrong in English?

Whilst I try my best to spell correctly and be punctual in my posts, I don't adhere to some "rules" imposed upon people by various English scholars and what have you. This isn't out of disrespect to those who do, it's just that I honestly can't be assed.

I believe that as long as your writing is easily understood and read then it's fine. You don't have to be a whiz-kid in spelling and grammar to write something that reads fantastically, but writing more than shorthand or "leet speak" in a serious debate might prove to be far more persuading to readers.
Last edited by Psychotic on Mon Mar 12, 12 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Psychotic
Master

Postby Marder » Sun Mar 25, 12 3:03 pm

I agree with you, in the grand scheme of things it is worthless as language constantly evolves.

Deus Ex, for example, should really be called Deus Ex Machina.
Marder
Poster

Postby Psychotic » Sun Mar 25, 12 3:34 pm

"Deus Ex" is just the title, whereas "Deus Ex Machina" is the plot elements it uses. Probably one of few times where a deus ex machina actually works and doesn't simply look lazy.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Return to Deus Ex