Serious discussion about news, politics and whatever is on your mind.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Postby Aidan » Wed Jan 04, 12 5:28 am

Last edited by Aidan on Mon Jul 11, 16 1:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Dex » Wed Jan 04, 12 6:56 am

i've deleted my old account with pictures, posts, and whatnot on it (got bored because of a girl tbh) then remade a new one which i just use to IM some people i know irl, i don't have any content on it and i've pretty much enabled every privacy option

wouldn't make a big deal about the 'drunken white girls'-ish profiles on fb, it's a pretty normal thing for people to seek attention, and through facebook, or any other means where direct contact is less present, they simply feel "safer" to do so.

sorry if this makes no sense
Dex
Forum Hero

Postby Aidan » Wed Jan 04, 12 7:52 am

My IM is called "text messaging". People will find that they will receive more of those along with these so called "Phone Calls", when people can't leave you a Facebook message, or creep your profile.

When people don't have your number, and need it, they'll try to find out from others if they care enough. This increases your moral social value between you two. It's genuine, and beautiful.

People will appreciate you for who you are, and not who you've dated, how many friends you have/who your friends are, brag what you're doing publicly, and wondering the reason why you have privacy settings on here, here and here.

Facebook is a social cesspool of shit, and ironically degrades the meaning of what "social interaction" is.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Wed Jan 04, 12 8:04 am

I deleted Facebook before it was cool.

No serious yes it is a cesspool and is ruining our personal relationships in so many ways.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Professor Layton » Wed Jan 04, 12 9:29 am

Welcome back to the real world m8s

Do I need to prepare a rescue package for everyone that suddenly decides to take this big step??
GrandpaTerran wrote:THIS MAP HAS BEEN POSTPONED FOR NOW I'LL RE-DEVELOP WHEN I HAVE COMPLETED MY MAPPING TRAINING
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby clyzm » Wed Jan 04, 12 12:07 pm

I don't know - social networking is a tricky issue. On one hand you have these absolutely wasteful attention-seekers who obsess about the site daily, use it as their main conduit of online social interaction and what-have-you. At some point you can feel pity for them... because, if you think about it, the socialites that go on Facebook aren't really tech-savvy and haven't really had the "forum" experience like we had where discussions are held between a wide range of opinions. So for them I guess it's how we were back in 2005/2006, but more "hip" I guess...

On the other hand you have people who use it as a genuine medium of getting their small business/music/art/etc. out, much in the same way as Twitter. I can respect these people.

But really you get that whole cringey vibe when people on Facebook post about memes and other online rituals (like omg guys my daddy bought me this thing called, like, 'domain' or w/e but now i have my own website z0mg!!! this is new!!) that we were talking about years ago. It's a slow culture... we're ahead of them.

There's definitely something subliminally-addicting about the red-colored notifications tab though. It's like how we have our New Post/New Topic indicators... we just wanna find out!
Last edited by clyzm on Wed Jan 04, 12 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby James » Wed Jan 04, 12 12:14 pm

Networking is cool and all but it really is social drivel.

Oh and related; have you guys seen episodes 2 and 3 of Black Mirror?
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Tantalus » Wed Jan 04, 12 12:46 pm

No! I need to see it!

I'll watch them later today.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Professor Layton » Wed Jan 04, 12 12:48 pm

What is black mirror? :oops:
GrandpaTerran wrote:THIS MAP HAS BEEN POSTPONED FOR NOW I'LL RE-DEVELOP WHEN I HAVE COMPLETED MY MAPPING TRAINING
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby Tantalus » Wed Jan 04, 12 12:58 pm

Social commentary in a video drama format by Charlie Brooker.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/black-mirror
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Mastakilla » Wed Jan 04, 12 1:16 pm

I THINK YOU'RE CRYING FOR ATTENTION BY DOING IT SO LOUDLY, JUST GTFO AND GO ON WITH YOUR LIFE

<3 :lol:

Oh and I use Facebook every single day, because in a way its the only way I can talk on a regular with people I met in Liverpool etc. They're always on it so I am too, it's become more of an MSN for me.

So I agree with Clyzm's post mostly but I'm high so I'm not sure how to end this post...
Last edited by Mastakilla on Wed Jan 04, 12 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When life gives you lemons... Squeeze them into your eyes and run across a busy intersection, faggot.
Mastakilla
Forum Super Hero

Postby ynnaD » Wed Jan 04, 12 1:53 pm

I use FB pretty often but maybe for slightly different reasons, living in Dublin now it costs me a fortune to text my family and friends at.home, hence where FB comes in.
~þsÿçhø~ wrote:My laptops screen is broke, how can i fix it?

James wrote:THROW DARK SOULS AT IT
ynnaD
Forum Legend

Postby Siva » Fri Jan 13, 12 1:45 am

i live in da mean streets

we use facebook and blackberry as a substitute for buying telephone credit, for those whom are too weak to kill their parents and use their credit cards to buy a contract

if i deleted my facebook, i'd never have the ability to get anyones number if i lost it, and i switch phones more than an Israeli sniper switches targets
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Postby Aidan » Fri Jan 13, 12 5:09 am

Protocol wrote:i live in da mean streets

we use facebook and blackberry as a substitute for buying telephone credit, for those whom are too weak to kill their parents and use their credit cards to buy a contract

if i deleted my facebook, i'd never have the ability to get anyones number if i lost it, and i switch phones more than an Israeli sniper switches targets

wifi bbm? yeeeee

Ahh, I can get in touch with those I talk to one way or another. Much more feeling of accomplishment when I do so :P
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Fri Jan 13, 12 9:11 am

lol why not ask someone to ask
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Dex » Fri Jan 13, 12 10:52 am

lol why simple when complicated will work?
Dex
Forum Hero

Postby James » Fri Jan 13, 12 10:58 am

because people need to stop being socially retarded
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Fri Jan 13, 12 3:37 pm

James wrote:because people need to stop being socially retarded
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Fri Jan 13, 12 5:00 pm

Information technology is one of the best things humanity have developed on for the last 40 years and it is constantly changing, almost every small development is important for the big picture. Because of IT the world and people in it are more connected than ever, enhancing our awareness, work pace and providing hundreds of other services.

Facebook (like most social sites) on paper was always a great idea. Staying connected with people and sharing experiences. In short; human curiosity and spite has typically perverted it since the creation of the site itself.

The privacy
Your data
Stalkers
Too much info
Nosey people
Fuckbook
Strangers causing trouble
Condescending family and friends

That's my point of view, it utterly all boils down to the privacy. You're encouraged to be open but there's so many risks. It is your choice to avoid some of those things, but, your profile is under your name...

The amount of drama that comes out of the website on an hourly basis is insane. Plus people use it too much, I knew too much! Only new people interested me in real life. Most of us use the website wrongly, too much or think we rely on it.

I feel Facebook is a cesspool of our society and on the other hand is a tool that is far too handy to know about a lot of people. Without I've got loads to talk about (regarding myself and others) now!

IT's big steps was with the devices we use and the connection of our world wide web. But with Facebook, are we too connected? Don't get me started on Google.

Further reading on another side of this subject of connection: http://www.dxalpha.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17919
Last edited by James on Fri Jan 13, 12 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Sat Jan 14, 12 4:00 am

You're indirectly selling a portion of yourself for free. Anyone can take that portion, dissect it, and do as they will.

A little analogy I made regarding personal data/information:

Your profile is your source code.

A certain amount of your "friends" are (hypothetical) hackers.

Will they do something with it?

Will they get bored of it and move on?
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Mastakilla » Sat Jan 14, 12 6:22 pm

Will I someday stop, sit down, and suddenly care?

The only private information I got on facebook is my name, my birthday, and shit that I like and whatnot. It's no big secret. And I doubt anyone with bad intentions can do anything with it. Not even my location is on there...

Any bad scenario I can think of wouldn't bother me.

I can imagine it may be different for some people though. But that's up to them.
When life gives you lemons... Squeeze them into your eyes and run across a busy intersection, faggot.
Mastakilla
Forum Super Hero

Postby James » Sat Jan 14, 12 6:28 pm

If I remade a Facebook profile I'd disable everything but status updates. Don't want anyone to know what I'm actually up to.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Sun Jan 15, 12 6:00 am

Mastakilla wrote:Will I someday stop, sit down, and suddenly care?

The only private information I got on facebook is my name, my birthday, and shit that I like and whatnot. It's no big secret. And I doubt anyone with bad intentions can do anything with it. Not even my location is on there...

Any bad scenario I can think of wouldn't bother me.

I can imagine it may be different for some people though. But that's up to them.

In a younger generation, kids in NA are still immature. Younger people here unfortunately view, and assume that empty, or bare minimum facebook profiles are of those with lower social value. This isn't always the case, but those of teenage years, and early 20's, it is definite, but not always blatant.

Of course there are pro's to facebook, but there are FAR more cons.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Hanover Fist » Tue Jan 17, 12 10:38 pm

If it's done professionally like a website dedicated to its user... like a blog I guess... then it can be useful for updating work/art like clyzm said. There's some new updated version of FB that when done correctly looks really sleek.

I think less genuine personal information and just expression of interests and sharing these interests to help culture and coalesce thoughts with people that will receive you is the best intention FB could ever have.

The rest was done for profit... let's not glamorize it.
Happiness is a full wallet and a loaded clip
Hanover Fist
Master

Postby James » Thu Jan 19, 12 12:40 pm

Yeah I've seen the banners etc, but... it took Facebook 8 years to get a level of customisation that is still less than what Twitter or Myspace offered.

Woah.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Thu Jan 19, 12 9:56 pm

What I've done isn't exactly "deleting" my account so to speak. I've paralyzed it.

Nobody can see, or contact my account, nor do I have any friends on it (yes, I had to remove all my friends one by one).

The reason I have done all this, is so I can still access my artist (fan page) account.

In other words, I use facebook, but only for commercial/professional use on my fanpage account.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Aidan » Thu Jan 26, 12 5:39 am

Bump.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sThcwmx3rs[/youtube]
Last edited by Aidan on Thu Jan 26, 12 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Psychotic » Thu Mar 01, 12 2:29 am

Mixed bag for me, really. I could live without it, but since Facebook is one of few ways to contact certain people, I'd rather not.

The main reason I would delete my profile on Facebook is simply because people judge you based on that tiny piece of information. The information is varied and whilst there can be a lot of it, it's only bits and pieces. I don't believe people can perform an accurate judgement of your character based on tidbits of information found on a social network.

Another reason I use Facebook is because most of my friends are internet-related (from online games, mostly), this is because I find more people with similar interests to me on Facebook then I would in my local neighborhood, as sad as this may sound.

I'd rather get back into forums though, as I had once before, largely because I find it far more interactive the topics far more engaging than anything Facebook has to offer.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby RedDynasty » Mon Apr 02, 12 1:01 am

I never had a facebook account before and i never wanted one.
Nowadays people are like: "Hey if you dont have a facebook account, your not cool".
I would rather have less real life friends then having alot of fake internet friends.
Also, i agree with Magniir when he says that people judge others by a small piece of information.
Your not a gamer until you played this.
RedDynasty
Wannabe

Postby Psychotic » Mon Apr 02, 12 1:16 am

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digit ... -passwords

The most bullshit Facebook-related news I've heard so far.

It sucks, too, because when I was looking for a job last year I'd probably have been forced to take a job offer even if it required handing over my Facebook details.

New Zealand employers don't ask this however, or at least I've never heard of any asking for the details; I've only heard of US employers doing this, and because I find it an extreme breach of privacy, I'd be very, very hesitant to work for them with such an attitude.

I don't think you can sue for them simply asking for your passwords either, pity.

[e] Also, why the hell do people have hundreds of friends on Facebook? Like hell you know 600+ people, and if you're playing the Facebook games you really must be bored.
Last edited by Psychotic on Mon Apr 02, 12 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Next

Return to Rants & Debates