Serious discussion about news, politics and whatever is on your mind.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Postby Kaiden » Mon Apr 02, 12 1:27 am

Sounds like a US thing mostly, never heard anyone encountering that here. I'd just offer to login, wouldn't give them my details, although there's nothing on my page anyway outside of random comments on peoples stuff.
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby ynnaD » Mon Apr 02, 12 9:36 am

I noticed now websites are starting to let you create an account for their websites just by logging in with your Facebook.

I don't like this
~þsÿçhø~ wrote:My laptops screen is broke, how can i fix it?

James wrote:THROW DARK SOULS AT IT
ynnaD
Forum Legend

Postby Aidan » Fri Apr 13, 12 9:37 pm

Well.. I've given in, and I'm re-creating my Facebook page. Since most friends do not ignore facebook as I do, everyone only uses facebook to social interact now (it's sad). So in order to be in the loop with my friends, I need a facebook account.
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Tantalus » Fri Apr 13, 12 10:45 pm

Vicious cycle, my friend.

Either murder friends or murder Zuckerberg and his minions. The only way out of Facebook.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Aidan » Fri Apr 13, 12 11:25 pm

Tantalus wrote:Vicious cycle, my friend.

Either murder friends or murder Zuckerberg and his minions. The only way out of Facebook.

Yeah, I know right? I might as well do both, and double tap.

It's been so long since I've used it though. Everything looks different.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby xunz » Sat Apr 14, 12 7:51 am

Re-assimilated into the matrix. :shock:

With CD2 of the DX OST in bg your OP looked like it could have been 2 UNATCO guards..

There's always 1 critical one who knows there's something now quite right with the system, and his mate who reassures him it's the lesser evil / greater good.. then you just came full circle and reassimilated lol

..like everyone else ;)

-
-
I'm 29 and have avoided FB thusfar but if/when I bite the bullet I'll inevitably, involuntarily and unconsciously give away a small piece of my soul in the name of assimilation / Socialization (ie: the socioological definition.)

Balancing 'pulling against the yoke' with the upsides of participating in the social propaganda mindfreeze is going to vary from idividual to individual.. although hopefully you're not going to join to be a jellybrain.. If you're friends aren't good enough to call or email you to tell you what's going on, then the less time spent talking to them on FB the better!

I might Join FB too in some months to promote this and that, and reserve the right to risk turning into a FB whxre. I'm already in the process of designing a programmed mechanism to trigger a cyanide injection into my left ventricle if FB usage starts to peak above 5 hours per week. .. "Better dead than smeg" :lol:

Asfar as the people who criticise you for showing independant thought. People who are born into the system are ofter blind to it, so there will always be people who desperatly attack the anticonformist ideas of individuals speaking againt the (or a) system that has spoonfed them through life* (imo these impulsive attacks on the 'anticonformists' are born out of subconscious fears, fears from minds with little or nothing* to fall back on should their precious mental construct be theatened, or worse be (internally) known to be structurally unsound, resulting in internal conflicts to divebomb or schism.)

[*Biting the hand that feeds / the warm milky teat of reliable propaganda]
[**Re: Fear of the 'void']
[*** Subconscious defense from internal conflict / (and or identity crisis)]

Whether you believe that or not.. people who present aggression towards anticonformists don't have their heads straight for (in)security reasons.
xZ
Last edited by xunz on Sat Apr 14, 12 8:02 am, edited 6 times in total.
xunz

Postby Aidan » Sat Apr 14, 12 8:02 am

xunz wrote:Re-assimilated into the matrix. :shock:

With CD2 of the DX OST in bg your OP looked like it could have been 2 UNATCO guards..

There's always 1 critical one who knows there's something now quite right with the system, and his mate who reassures him it's the lesser evil / greater good.. then you just came full circle and reassimilated lol

..like everyone else ;)

-
-
I'm 29 and have avoided FB thusfar but if/when I bite the bullet I'll inevitably, involuntarily and unconsciously give away a small piece of my soul in the name of assimilation / Socialization (ie: the socioological definition.)

Balancing 'pulling against the yoke' with the upsides of participating in the social propaganda mindfreeze is going to vary from idividual to individual.. although hopefully you're not going to join to be a jellybrain.. If you're friends aren't good enough to call or email you to tell you what's going on, then the less time spent talking to them on FB the better!

I might Join FB too in some months to promote this and that, and reserve the right to risk turning into a FB whxre. I'm already in the process of designing a programmed mechanism to trigger a cyanide injection into my left ventricle if FB usage starts to peak above 5 hours per week. .. "Better dead than smeg" :lol:

Asfar as the people who criticise you for showing independant thought. People who are born into the system are ofter blind to it, so there will always be people who desperatly attack the anticonformist ideas of individuals speaking againt the (or a) system that has spoonfed them through life* (imo these impulsive attacks on the 'anticonformists' are born out of subconscious fears, fears from minds with little or nothing* to fall back on should their precious mental construct be theatened, or worse be (internally) known to be structurally unsound, resulting in internal conflicts to divebomb or schism.)

[*Biting the hand that feeds / the warm milky teat of reliable propaganda]
[**Re: Fear of the 'void']
[*** Subconscious defense from internal conflict / (and or identity crisis)]

Whether you believe that or not.. people who present aggression towards anticonformists don't have their heads straight for insecurity reasons.
xZ

Facebook isn't 7 paragraphs bad man..
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Siva » Sat Apr 14, 12 10:52 am

I eagerly await the day when we have neural implants.

Then we can have advertisements not just tailored to us by what websites we've browsed, but the colours our eyes respond to the best, the hearing frequencies our ears are trained to listen to the most, and the architecture we appreciate visually the highest.
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Postby Professor Layton » Sat Apr 14, 12 12:40 pm

Protocol wrote:I eagerly await the day when we have neural implants.

Then we can have advertisements not just tailored to us by what websites we've browsed, but the colours our eyes respond to the best, the hearing frequencies our ears are trained to listen to the most, and the architecture we appreciate visually the highest.
imagine spambots
GrandpaTerran wrote:THIS MAP HAS BEEN POSTPONED FOR NOW I'LL RE-DEVELOP WHEN I HAVE COMPLETED MY MAPPING TRAINING
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby Hanover Fist » Sat Apr 14, 12 8:04 pm

At a rudimentary level I detest the profitting with Myspace and Facebook for, although consolidating networking, have essentially only united forum and email templates into a single location and integrating with other such mediums that selectively do so.

It's like these people are getting rich off of pretty much just reinventing the internet and revising someone elses ideas. Then they release the Social Network to justify it.

Now the manual manmade spam has a place to collect.
Happiness is a full wallet and a loaded clip
Hanover Fist
Master

Postby Psychotic » Sat Apr 14, 12 9:43 pm

People have been reinventing ideas and making money off them for hundreds of years.

Look at something simple like Coca-Cola and Pepsi: Like MySpace and Facebook these two products are different in sometimes very subtle ways, but they aim to offer you the same basic thing.

Does that make Pepsi potentially useless because it was introduced after Coca-Cola was? No, it doesn't. Facebook is more popular than MySpace but MySpace is still used by many different people for many different reasons. Facebook is also a good example of a successor overwhelming the predecessor in terms of success.

I don't understand why people like Pepsi, just as I don't understand why people like MySpace, but I understand that people do prefer one thing over another, even if it's just because it's their own personal biases telling them they do.

I also believe that choice is a powerful thing, and I'd rather have the ability to choose between two services of similar nature than be pigeon-holed into one, potentially shoddy service. Competition, after-all, tends to favour the consumer.

Forums and email are great systems on their own and in many cases I do prefer a forum for social interaction over Facebook. I use Facebook mostly for interaction with close friends and family, whereas I'll be using a forum for the ability to share and receive comments and opinions from a much larger variety of people.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby Aidan » Sun Apr 15, 12 2:52 am

UPDATE: JUST FOUND OUT MY SCUM GIRLFRIEND IS PLAYING MULTIPLE GUYS.

MAYBE FACEBOOK ISN'T SO BAD AFTER ALL.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Hanover Fist » Mon Apr 16, 12 2:23 am

Hmm, it's a good point about competition favoring the consumer. So long as accomodations for youtube and such are made for both then they both can be realistic choices which selection would come down to personal taste.

Aidan wrote:UPDATE: JUST FOUND OUT MY SCUM GIRLFRIEND IS PLAYING MULTIPLE GUYS

Oh shit!
Hanover Fist
Master

Postby Aidan » Mon Apr 16, 12 2:44 am

Jay, saw your "12 paragraph" comment in DXMP chat.

Since my original post in this thread, Facebook has become far more.......... 'integrated' in to peoples lives. At a ridiculous level now.

Ever since I've got it back, my social life has accelerated about 3x what it was before hand.

It's not even that I want to conform to it. I have to, to stay in the loop.

UPDATE: JUST FOUND OUT MY SCUM GIRLFRIEND IS PLAYING MULTIPLE GUYS

A PRETTY DAMN GOOD REASON FOR GETTING FACEBOOK BACK. FUCK HER.
Last edited by Aidan on Mon Apr 16, 12 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Mon Apr 16, 12 6:33 am

I don't care about other's lives unless I see it or affects me, I'd trust my friends to tell me about situations like above.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Mon Apr 16, 12 7:45 am

James wrote:A PRETTY DAMN GOOD REASON FOR GETTING FACEBOOK BACK. FUCK HER.

Hah, I've found out similar details, yes.

James wrote:I don't care about other's lives unless I see it or affects me, I'd trust my friends to tell me about situations like above.

I am a ninja-spy! Not because I'm some sort of snoop but because I'm genuinely interested in the going-ons of other people.

I might have out-of-it ideas and might not agree with people most of the time (no really, my opinions tend to differ wildly from the "norm") but I still like seeing peoples opinions.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby James » Mon Apr 16, 12 8:16 am

Oh, opinions are different. I'm just not interested in the daily goings on with people unless I see it for myself, otherwise I'd avoid it unless it has something about me I'd like to trust my friends.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Mon Apr 16, 12 8:20 am

James wrote:Oh, opinions are different. I'm just not interested in the daily goings on with people unless I see it for myself, otherwise I'd avoid it unless it has something about me I'd like to trust my friends.

For the most part I agree, largely because many people just love to bitch and moan on Facebook. People do this on Twitter too, which is largely why I never really bothered to use it: I have nothing interesting to say.

Or didn't. I've tried blogging but have found myself considering Twitter more and more due to have interesting ideas I'd like feedback on but nothing big enough to warrant a blog post (not a fan of two paragraph blog posts, personally).
Psychotic
Master

Postby Aidan » Mon Apr 16, 12 9:23 am

Anyone that bitches and/or moans often I instantly unfriend.

In a relationship, I don't really expect anyone to care about it besides family, and close friends. My close friends don't even have her as a friend anyway, and don't really know her.

So how the hell could I expect my friends to inform me of this? They can't.

If people would start texting as much as they used to, and maybe started CALLING like back in the day, then yes, I would permanently stop using facebook.

Unfortunately, this is 2012. People are stubborn, lazy, and complain. Human's don't like change, especially if they have to stop using their precious profile they've invested so much of their life toward.
Last edited by Aidan on Mon Apr 16, 12 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby ynnaD » Mon Apr 16, 12 10:04 am

The problem i have with Facebook is that most people won't use it properly (or the way i view it as being done "proper" anyway).

I have a policy, if i've spoken to someone a few times, consider myself at the very least "friendly" with them, i will add them or they will add me, but if its someone i've seen once on a night out and said hi too, with no real dialogue or interaction between us, i won't add that person.

And that is the main problem i can see with FB, those people who have like 700 friends and only know about 100 of them.

Last time of checking i have 144 friends, i've met i'd say around 135 of them, and i speak regularly to the ones i havn't , otherwise i wouldn't have them on my list.
~þsÿçhø~ wrote:My laptops screen is broke, how can i fix it?

James wrote:THROW DARK SOULS AT IT
ynnaD
Forum Legend

Postby Psychotic » Mon Apr 16, 12 11:10 am

Aidan wrote:Anyone that bitches and/or moans often I instantly unfriend.

I call Facebook my own personal Twitbook, because I post whatever the fuck I want on it and whatever the fuck nobody cares about.

It's largely a place for me to vent, to be honest.
Psychotic
Master

Postby Aidan » Mon Apr 16, 12 4:30 pm

Magniir wrote:
Aidan wrote:Anyone that bitches and/or moans often I instantly unfriend.

I call Facebook my own personal Twitbook, because I post whatever the fuck I want on it and whatever the fuck nobody cares about.

It's largely a place for me to vent, to be honest.

To each their own. No friends I currently have on my friend list bitch at all. I'm happy about that.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Kaiden » Mon Apr 16, 12 4:37 pm

One of the things I hate most on it is when someone writes like "FUCK YOU BITCH I HATE YOU!!" and stuff to 500 people even though they're apparently talking about one person. Just massive attention seeking imo, but oh well.
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Mon Apr 16, 12 4:40 pm

Kaiden wrote:One of the things I hate most on it is when someone writes like "FUCK YOU BITCH I HATE YOU!!" and stuff to 500 people even though they're apparently talking about one person. Just massive attention seeking imo, but oh well.

Exactly.

-"Facebook Venting" is only attention seeking.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Psycho » Mon Apr 16, 12 7:30 pm

What I hate is when girls upload pics where they look fit in, and they say things like:

"I'm so ugly", "I'm so fat" etc

obvious attention seeking.
Psycho
Forum Hero

Postby Aidan » Mon Apr 16, 12 9:35 pm

~þsÿçhø~ wrote:What I hate is when girls upload pics where they look fit in, and they say things like:

"I'm so ugly", "I'm so fat" etc

obvious attention seeking.

Oh yeah. I only really find that in 8, 9, and 10th year school girls though. They'll stop that in their senior years.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Hanover Fist » Mon Apr 16, 12 9:54 pm

Kay. Now it's a thread chatting about facebook.
Hanover Fist
Master

Postby Psychotic » Mon Apr 16, 12 10:17 pm

Aidan wrote:
Kaiden wrote:One of the things I hate most on it is when someone writes like "FUCK YOU BITCH I HATE YOU!!" and stuff to 500 people even though they're apparently talking about one person. Just massive attention seeking imo, but oh well.

Exactly.

-"Facebook Venting" is only attention seeking.

I used to agree with this and in some cases I still do (especially regarding those who love to bitch about their miserable lives and expect people to care - I don't do this) but frankly, people on forums do similar things.

Take a look at some of the posts in this board on this very forum. Many of the topics are designed to incite discussions but ultimately, some are still ranting about something or another, the entire board name promotes ranting, as well.

Saying Facebook venting is only used as a means of attention-seeking is fine, but largely incorrect, if you ask me. For some cases it is true, for other cases it is not.

Why is it that I cannot vent on Facebook without "attention-seeking" but I am perfectly capable of doing so on a forum or a blog? The content of my posts isn't necessarily different, I'm just posting them on a different medium.
Psychotic
Master

Postby Aidan » Tue Apr 17, 12 4:30 am

In this Rants & Debates forum, we rant, and debate about it. We don't 'vent' so to speak.

In Facebook, people Vent about stupid things, without rhyme, or reason, looking for people to give them attention. Most of the time, the Vent isn't even up for reason with the person.

If you are that 1% that will discuss your Vent in a good manner, then Kudos to you mate.

In terms of attention seeking, we are more or less discussing the "Wow, that's so fucking stupid", type of posts, that are just SCREAMING attention.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Psychotic » Tue Apr 17, 12 7:41 am

I wouldn't call myself apart of that 1%, just that I prefer raging on Facebook than to somebody's face directly.

I'm not really a fan of venting to people in general, even though I've done so in the past, because I find it unfair on that person. I don't mind if people vent to me but they must come to expect that I'll respond with my opinions on the matter, that's my price for your venting. I don't vent to others not because I don't like paying the price but rather, I don't want to make people feel obligated to respond.

I do so on Facebook but I don't expect nor want people to respond, so I don't consider myself attention-seeking. Here's a recent example of a more serious ragefest ("rage" because it includes the word "fuck" in it):

Magniir wrote:"Network busy."

At what? 5am in the fucking morning? Fuck you Telecom, you lying nutsacks.

Or this one, which I suppose could be considered a rant as it can be discussion-worthy, though in a serious discussion I'd probably remove the random insults:

Magniir wrote:There are two things in this world that give me instant nerdrage:

1. People who say Microsft Windows = PC and Mac = Mac. No. You're wrong. Windows is a Windows, Mac is a Mac. Both are PC's. Learn this you stupid fucknuts.

2. People on websites like TradeMe.co.nz who, when selling a multi-core CPU (such as a 2.6 GHz quad-core CPU), advertise it as having a total of "10.4 GHz processing powarz!". No. You're also a fucknut. 2.6 x 4 is indeed 10.4, but you ain't going to be seeing that speed a lot you filthy cockgobbler.

Then there's this, which is me venting when Firefox decided it didn't like me anymore, but putting a light-hearted spin on things:

Magniir wrote:Dear Firefox,

You used to be cool, man. Then you learnt about memory leaks. Now you're just another one of those memory hogs who can't get enough of the crack.

Get some help, then maybe we can hang out again.

Love,
Mr. Tastix

Honestly though, after posting these, it's made me realise I don't post this shit nearly as much as I thought I did. I had to scroll through a lot of random status updates (of my own) to actually find these. :P
Psychotic
Master

PreviousNext

Return to Rants & Debates