Why do we get primal

Serious discussion about news, politics and whatever is on your mind.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Why do we get primal

Postby Siva » Sun May 05, 13 3:33 am

Since tantalus sed he wanted more shit to talk about

Why is it that sometimes it really just does feel easier to challenge a man to single combat than resolve your differences
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Re: Why do we get primal

Postby Aidan » Sun May 05, 13 3:37 am

Last edited by Aidan on Sun May 05, 13 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Siva » Sun May 05, 13 3:39 am

Aidan wrote:table

i snorted so hard my tongue nearly came through my nose
//..
Siva

Postby Clancy Stein » Sun May 05, 13 6:27 am

Sometimes the most fundamental way to assert supremacy is the most effectual. It's unfortunate to know most guys would subliminally lean toward a man that beats another man. Perhaps a natural response of wanting to be protected and supported by a dominant male. Females too but they can tend to be off put by male violence unless they're turned on by that which aome chix are.
Last edited by Clancy Stein on Sun May 05, 13 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clancy Stein
Poster

Postby James » Sun May 05, 13 9:43 am

waiting for you to unblock me on twitter
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Tantalus » Sun May 05, 13 9:59 am

Aidan wrote:'nother table

You brutal mf, I can't breathe.

On topic: I guess trying to resolve differences has you putting yourself in an emotionally vulnerable position that will leave you betrayed if it is not accepted. You don't know if they're going to lend out an olive branch.", so you default to beating. IDUNNO.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Psychotic » Sun May 05, 13 11:57 am

In most scenarios you have two options:

Use rational thought and reasoning to come up with logical debates until your opponent succumbs to your conviction or you make a compromise or;

Beat the shit out of them and declare yourself the winner through brute force and might.

Looking back through human history, which do you think has been declared the easiest? Many consider the first too arduous and difficult and apparently humans enjoy destroying life. Two birds with one stone!
Last edited by Psychotic on Sun May 05, 13 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby Siva » Sun May 05, 13 12:09 pm

James wrote:waiting for you to unblock me on twitter

i went and did it

Magniir wrote:relevant shit

but even when looking at situations calmly and rationally, there have been many times, even more in hindsight where i would have rather just had a good old fashioned fight and got it over with than waste my time arguing.

maybe the question i asked should have been why do men romanticise fighting/war
//..
Siva

Postby Psychotic » Sun May 05, 13 10:36 pm

I see the romanticism of fighting another form of propaganda, personally. It's a way to justify their actions in the end, regardless of the actual reason.

Books, movies, television and even games like to dramatise how easy it apparently is to hurt or even kill somebody, but if you're a sane and rational thinker then it's likely that simply killing someone in cold-blood is not going to be the easiest thing to do.

As I said though, when you're in school or an office and you just feel the sudden urge to hit the guy annoying you: That's probably because it's an easy way out and you might feel good about it for a few minutes, but in most cases the end doesn't justify the means.

Regret is a strong emotion. To deny regret is to make attempts at justifying your position. That's what most countries do when they go to war. That's what propaganda is.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby synthetic » Fri May 10, 13 8:42 am

Clancy Stein wrote:Sometimes the most fundamental way to assert supremacy is the most effectual. It's unfortunate to know most guys would subliminally lean toward a man that beats another man. Perhaps a natural response of wanting to be protected and supported by a dominant male. Females too but they can tend to be off put by male violence unless they're turned on by that which aome chix are.

I really like the explanation, but it doesn't fully answer the OP I think.

If it's come to a conflict, resolving differences is the intelligent approach, but has developed over the much more primitive layer.

What Clancy Stein describes is exactly that primitive reaction upon which you feel the urge to satisfy your ego by using brute force.

However, we would not have developed advanced intellectual capacity were it not more efficient. In this case, you'll receive less bruises and your condition will not for a moment hinder your next task.

I think it is easier to resort to basic instincts because of the initial energy investment. Intellect requires that investment without immediately getting something back, but providing better rewards. Brute force in this case will let you feel the rewards from the first punch. But, it is not all black and white, and intellect can even be applied to a brawl and that is called martial arts. Less punches, more damage.
Last edited by synthetic on Fri May 10, 13 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
synthetic
Forum Hero

Postby Psychotic » Fri May 10, 13 2:03 pm

One does not have to become more intelligent or think of more intelligent solutions because it is more "efficient".

I'd argue that it can be a lot less time-consuming and efficient to simply fight physically than mentally. Not in all cases but certainly in some.

The idea that some people developed a more "intelligent" solution simply tells me that there were people who wanted more choice, possibly because they were more pacifist or passive-aggressive than their counterparts.

Intelligence might be the right way but it's not always the fastest or easiest.
Psychotic
Master

Postby synthetic » Fri May 10, 13 3:03 pm

Fight will endanger your well-being, if approached without thinking at all. That cannot be seen as efficient under any circumstances. I would agree that a punch on the nose may be more energy-efficient solution in some cases, though, but even that combines the primal level with intellect.

I'd put wrestling and random smacking in the boundaries of that basic aggressive response (not to say that we haven't found more clever means of doing wrestling as trained sport), where as confident and trained punch yields more or less expected results without getting mud on your knees and loosing teeth at random.
Last edited by synthetic on Fri May 10, 13 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
synthetic
Forum Hero

Postby Psychotic » Fri May 10, 13 3:09 pm

In general, I am far more inclined to believe we cannot have one without the other.

Fight or flight response is great, but you still need intelligence and wisdom to know which one to use and when.
Psychotic
Master

Return to Rants & Debates