Mass Effect: Andromeda

Share your opinions and questions about anything to do with gaming and technology.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Mass Effect: Andromeda

Postby Aidan » Sat Jul 11, 15 7:14 am

Thoughts; opinions?

I think it'll be pretty decent, but am worried that the ME universe is getting slowly butchered after the ME3 ending ordeal; there is a lot of confusion that Bioware needs to create an answer for once and for all in this game. I'm also concerned when I hear that "there are a lot of planets and places to explore" because of possible lack-of-content on said planets. It will be interesting to see if Mass Relays exist in Andromeda; we know they exist in the Milky Way. How 'in-touch' Andromeda is with the Milky Way, and it's events. Apparently ME:A takes place during Shepard's time, but at what stage in his career/life is it?
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda

Postby James » Sun Jul 12, 15 1:11 pm

Bioware games suck.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby synthetic » Sun Jul 12, 15 10:59 pm

Come on, Im not giving up on them until their offices all close their doors. :) Im sure theyll get it right again, one day.

I'm certainly looking forward to ME4. No point in hoping that it'd be bad, so obviously I'm excited about the possibility that it'll be good :)

Large game developers take the success of rival games quite seriously, so heres chances that something from witcher 3 will rub off on them.
[TSS][¥]{¥+EoD}{RF}{MoH}[G][NEM][UE][N]{U}[REN][BM][FGS][THC][:¤:]
synthetic
Forum Hero

Postby Kaiden » Tue Jul 14, 15 8:10 pm

James wrote:Bioware games suck.

I liked KotOR!
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby James » Tue Jul 14, 15 9:19 pm

Kaiden wrote:

I liked KotOR!

They aren't the same company anymore.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Thu Jul 16, 15 8:32 am

If I do recall, didn't you like ME until the ending of 3?
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Thu Jul 16, 15 12:46 pm

I thought ME1 was alright but a horrible RPG. I loved ME2 too much, really fun third person shooter with silly things you can break in it. ME3 tarnished the experience of the previous games in a lot of ways too like the production notes citing Deus Ex a lot in regards to the series foundation and final endings which is a huge insult to me.

The last 4 years has been an eye-opener.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby synthetic » Fri Jul 17, 15 3:42 pm

I just felt ME3 was some kind of minor expansion akin to Max Payne 2 (yeah nice continuation of the first but did at no point feel like a proper game on its own). The first two are quite a damn lot of fun even with all their mistakes or performance issues. I would go the length of saying that DA1 was a better game than ME1, though..
synthetic
Forum Hero

Postby James » Fri Jul 17, 15 6:23 pm

ME1's writing and all three ME's dialogue were tons better than DA1's writing and story but DA was a superior RPG I spent the most time in I guess. It had a lot of systems and cool mods that I've sunk like 300 hours into it or something.

I think ME2 and ME3 are better videogames than any entry in the DA series, though.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby synthetic » Sat Jul 18, 15 7:48 am

Well, I can only see one title in the DA series thats even worth mentioning in the comparison, the other two represent some kind of alien genres that should compete against their own kind, whatever those may be. DA1 brought something fresh to the gamer, whereas ME2 simply expanded upon the first and the third represented some sort of dlc. If one is to look at ME2 and 3 separately as video games and compare them to DA1.. then I would have to absolutely disagree. ME3 is likely one of the least memorable games in the history on its own right, whereas DA1 could've even called revolutionary for the newer generation of gamers. It should be noted, though, that almost everything DA1 did well or not so well, Witcher 2 perfected.

As for ME4.. right now CDPR showed Bioware how it is done, and it is certain that they will make some kind of conclusions from it, especially if they really have even a faint hope of reviving KOTOR series. If nothing else, they could just do kotor2 on me4 and kotor3 and give the games to actually talented developers ie obsidian once more. I am not actually expecting that to happen, but.. they've done it before. If they come to a solid conclusion that they simply don't have the talent to create critically acclaimed games anymore. In terms of gaming experience and impact, I'd rate the broken kotor2 above any ME title or DA1. Its story and dialogue were simply so amazing that for me it even started filling the content holes.

ME4 does well to distance itself from Shepard story after the player feedback and questionable plot decisions, and from what I've read on the interwebs I don't think I'm the only one that thinks that they've so far done it successfully. DA series however would absolutely have to do a hard reset on their entire franchise, if not discontinue it altogether.

On a different note, I wonder if our opinions even bear any weight for the developers, though. Logically, the quality of written, audible, visible and now tangible art can be collectively determined by the audience to a sufficient degree, but we also see that low quality teen flicks, bedside stories and extremely superficial games sell very well. While Bioware can rate their titles with triple A in terms of costs, it is not possible for them to create a blockbuster (appeals to vast numbers) nor critically acclaimed title (high quality) unless they seriously re-evaluate their standards and production cycle. Perhaps the gaming industry has become India with dominant Bollywood spam that sells sufficiently well for the owners. In the light of that, I'd rate ME4 future just as bad as that of practically any other non-indie title coming.
synthetic
Forum Hero

Postby clyzm » Fri Apr 14, 17 11:02 pm

this game turned out to be the shittiest mess i've ever seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KWkao73HuU

How in the world does a 40 million dollar AAA game look like something made in the PS2 era is beyond me. Even the writing which was one of the best things about ME is tumblr-tier
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby James » Tue Apr 18, 17 10:19 am

It's funny isn't it? It's quite easy to explain too.

Bioware Montreal were their third studio (back-up and workforce used to work on small things) that had never made a game on their own before.

Since TOR, ME3 and DA3 almost all talent has left Bioware (Even their hacks like Gaider!). I guess there's people working on a new game but Mass Effect was handed over to a former-writer directing a game with people who've never made a game before - in an established franchise.

It was a disaster from the start.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Return to Gaming and Technology