Radical Honesty

Serious discussion about news, politics and whatever is on your mind.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Radical Honesty

Postby James » Fri Dec 30, 11 12:52 pm

This article appeared this week: http://www.esquire.com/features/honesty0707
The movement was founded by a sixty-six-year-old Virginia-based psychotherapist named Brad Blanton. He says everybody would be happier if we just stopped lying. Tell the truth, all the time. This would be radical enough -- a world without fibs -- but Blanton goes further. He says we should toss out the filters between our brains and our mouths. If you think it, say it. Confess to your boss your secret plans to start your own company. If you're having fantasies about your wife's sister, Blanton says to tell your wife and tell her sister. It's the only path to authentic relationships. It's the only way to smash through modernity's soul-deadening alienation. Oversharing? No such thing.

Then the article goes further onto meeting with Brad Blanton and the journalist executing this philosophy into his daily life to very interesting results. This article is lauded with comparisons to some weird Andy Kaufman-esqe sketch.

I find the idea behind it fascinating. I want to ask you guys if you can do or live like this?, also; how often do you lie, dxalpha?
Last edited by James on Fri Dec 30, 11 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby ynnaD » Fri Dec 30, 11 2:28 pm

I gotta disagree, there can be too much over sharing, depends on the mind of the individual i suppose but that just screams conflict to me.
~þsÿçhø~ wrote:My laptops screen is broke, how can i fix it?

James wrote:THROW DARK SOULS AT IT
ynnaD
Forum Legend

Postby Kaiden » Fri Dec 30, 11 6:00 pm

I don't lie a massive amount, I don't think. I definitely use my "brain filter" all the time though. If I said what I thought all the time I don't think it'd make me a very likeable person.
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby Hanover Fist » Sat Dec 31, 11 12:02 am

I'm lying right now.
Happiness is a full wallet and a loaded clip
Hanover Fist
Master

Postby Aidan » Sat Dec 31, 11 5:41 am

I only lie when i absolutely have to.

This idea of what he speaks of will never happen until the far, far distant future probably.
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Hanover Fist » Sat Dec 31, 11 9:04 am

No dude the concept is absurd. Relationships will be limited and build bizarrely when one cannot personalize their own intent with something erroneous. The statistics of a relationship working in a realistic long term would be subjective to the trust that both parties are continuing to practice absolute veracity which is impossible to determine.

Further, truth as a standalone concept, is ironically the most paradoxically dubious proposition there is.
Hanover Fist
Master

Postby James » Sat Dec 31, 11 9:10 am

So anyone read the article or just answer the last question?
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Hanover Fist » Sat Dec 31, 11 10:03 am

Blanton's age makes his lifestyle permissible... like wisdom or longevity of a sort that earned him his right to brusque, uninhibited frankness. We couldn't hope to excel living this way. Although it does admittedly seem liberating it stands to reason that someone like Blanton, who is accomplished and has lived and excelled already NOT using this method... may apply it now in the twilight of his life where he has little more to attain as he sits in his assembled estate on the hill.

The guy sounds cool... but I've seen this characteristic before and it is commonly and realistically donned (acceptable) by old timers which in their unbridled honesty command a respect. They will probably always attempt modesty through making claims that self identify their most egotistical tendencies in acting this way. In the end, the action of Radical Honesty is, in itself, a rite of ego by those that can pull it off... and a self-sabotaging endeavor for anyone else.

The largest portion of credit goes to the one who can B.S. the best.

Edit:

There's nothing more ironic than the fact that stating facts recklessly and claiming it as a means to a just, intimate living by its practice... is the biggest outright fib one can make with absolute veracity.

Truth is an enigma just as a lie is absolutely pliable.
Last edited by Hanover Fist on Sat Dec 31, 11 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hanover Fist
Master

Return to Rants & Debates