Underwhelmed/Overwhelmed (POSSIBLE SPOILERS ON GAMES)

Serious discussion about news, politics and whatever is on your mind.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Underwhelmed/Overwhelmed (POSSIBLE SPOILERS ON GAMES)

Postby ynnaD » Tue Jan 15, 08 4:43 pm

There was those certain moments in games where you just wanted to rip your hair out, where you wanted to scream, where you wanted to cry, yet there were others which you were so pleased to be experiening. I during the course of my gaming time have experienced many things which others said were EXTREMLEY HARD or EXTREMLEY GOOD but i just didn't see it, some of these moments included:

God Of War (Kratos Clones):This moment, i had heard so much about, it was supposedly one of the best and hardest moments in the game, many players had apparnatly gave up at this part of the game it was just that tough, and i was looking forward to testing my skills upon it. Two attempts later and i had cleared it. I was so dissapointed at it, the supposed magniutde of the battle was not what i expected, i didn't have a lot of bother with it at all, not once did i lose my temper at this section.

Metal Gear Solid (Liquid Fistfight): Metal Gear Solid being one of my favourite game series, i was told that the Liquid battle was one of gaming most epic battles at the time, but once again, i felt totally underwhelmed, what was supposed to be the epicness about it? The only thing which seperated this fight from others is that it was on top of a blown up robot.

Final Fantasy 12 (The Entire Game): I was so dissapointed by the entire game, it was annoying. I had heard nothign but good reports, everyone saying how this was millions of lightyears ahead of the rest of the series, but its not a great improvement in my eyes. A new battle system, gambits, loot, what makes these things so epic? Another huge letdown was the story. Of all the FF game's ive played this one's story is the weakest. In the other game's, i was frantically playing through the story and most of the sidequests, trying to find out everything i could and obtain everything that was available to me, but other than the main story in FF12, i was't for doing much else, i was just too dissapointed with the story, the other stories were intruiging, this one wasn't and i don't plan to replay this game any time soon.

Of course, other time's i had seen things which i wasn't expecting which were so good, i had to tell my friends about it. Some of these included:

Final Fantasy 7 (Sephiroth Final Scene): Whilst not my favourite game in the series, it does include one of my most favourite moments of gaming history ever. After the final battle with Sephiroth, it's just Sephiroth v Cloud, standing face to face with each other, and Cloud unleashes Omnislash, his ultimate move, which totally rips Sephiorth to shreads, seeing Sephiroth getting hurt after everything he had done during the course of the game just made all the time i had invested in it worthwile.

Metal Gear Solid (Fox's Death): Bar Snake, the Ninja was my favourite Metal Gear character, and the scene where he finally reveals himself as Gray Fox, and sacrafices himself to help Snake take down Metal Gear was one of the most emotional scene's in the entire game, i was actually sad to see him die, he was one of my favourite characters, i remember this as one of my favourite experiences as once Fox died, i wanted to take down Metal Gear so bad, it made the boss battle more exciting.

Kingdom Hearts 1/2 (Sephiroth Battle): I hadn't actually played FF7 when i took him on in both of games, but i still found the battles to be epic. In KH1, i had just finished the Hades Cup, wasn't very high leveled, and had just unlocked this new battle called ??????, intrigued, i selected it and watched in awe as that as all i knew at the time "The FF Legend", appeared in the sky and was ready for battle, i was in total shock as i was hardly 10 seconds into the battle and i was already dead, such awesomeness.

I say all this because yesterday i bought Syphon Filter 1 and 3, and today i finished off FF12, and afterwards played Syphon Filter 1, and realised that i was having more fun in 30 mins of SF1 that the whole game of FF12.

So, i ask this of you, which moments in games where you under/over whelmed?
~þsÿçhø~ wrote:My laptops screen is broke, how can i fix it?

James wrote:THROW DARK SOULS AT IT
ynnaD
Forum Legend

Postby Allan » Tue Jan 15, 08 5:23 pm

Also, Seph's a total panzy after you've beaten crap out of him. If you choose not to attack, he can't do damage. :P

Must agree on FFXII, it sucked the donkey chode. The story was "omg go there, then there, then there...", with no real explanation provided for most of it. And almost all the characters were bleach-blonde. WTF?!

GTA:Vice City (PS2) - The battle against Sonny, it was good at first, but there's just no point in killing the dudes looting your safe, they just come back again. And most other enemies presented little/no threat. One of the over-powered handgun shots sorts most of them. Or a couple of rounds from that heavy machine gun.

The fight with Lance was good, little/no cover, and a couple of barrels for extra damage, else it's a straight fire-fight.

Finally, Sonny himself. Piss poor. It's just a matter of go back to main hall, duck behind banister, shoot, duck, shoot lackeys, rinse, repeat. See Sonny die. Game Over. Credits. And the 100% prize sucks too. An "I completed Vice City, and all I got was this stupid T-Shirt" outfit... WTF.

Mind you, the PC version is far superior difficulty wise, mostly because of the lack of auto-aim. :D
Allan
Alpha

Postby Kaiden » Tue Jan 15, 08 6:58 pm

Ugh trying to avoid reading the FFXII comments, just starting playing it lol, -

Final Fantasy 7 ye, Metal Gear solid too (The "1st one"), I don't play many console games anymore but those were deff my faviourates.
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby Spiderbot01 » Tue Jan 15, 08 8:39 pm

ASHE DIES.
<center>------</center><center>
Image</center>
<center>Image</center><
Spiderbot01
Alpha

Postby clyzm » Tue Jan 15, 08 10:21 pm

COD4

No Fighting in the War Room

Later part of One Shot, One Kill

Mile High Club

Heat

All on Veteran of course.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Cozmo » Tue Jan 15, 08 10:34 pm

That mile high club on vet ... fucker. I respawned so many times, and finally got there, but I didn't want to risk hitting the hostage, and fired at his leg. I was like "YEAAAAAA!" then it stopped me. "REAL VETS GET HEADSHOTS!" I was so pissed. XD
Cozmo_RPG (v1 & v2)
MPConversations - A tool for creating multiplayer RPG stuff
Cozmo
Master

Postby clyzm » Tue Jan 15, 08 10:41 pm

~Cozmo~ wrote:That mile high club on vet ... fucker. I respawned so many times, and finally got there, but I didn't want to risk hitting the hostage, and fired at his leg. I was like "YEAAAAAA!" then it stopped me. "REAL VETS GET HEADSHOTS!" I was so pissed. XD

Haha, god I hate that.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Havenkel » Wed Jan 23, 08 2:00 am

The Ryder battle in GTA:SA. Ryder was one of my favorite characters, so I expected it to be a good battle...Well, lets just say that I found the first mission harder than him.
Havenkel

Postby xProtocol Rain » Wed Jan 23, 08 3:58 pm

¤[ß2S]¤Cozmo wrote:That mile high club on vet ... fucker. I respawned so many times, and finally got there, but I didn't want to risk hitting the hostage, and fired at his leg. I was like "YEAAAAAA!" then it stopped me. "REAL VETS GET HEADSHOTS!" I was so pissed. XD

I'm surprised you didn't know about that sooner. :shock:
xProtocol Rain
Death and Destruction

Return to Rants & Debates