Dogny

Serious discussion about news, politics and whatever is on your mind.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Dogny

Postby ~SanguineRose~ » Sat Jan 17, 09 12:33 am

I am just curious but I have to ask this:
Is Dogny NOT Banned from any servers for idiotic immature
behavior, spamming, stealing, and team killing?
~Security is but an illusion of the mind~
~SanguineRose~
Wannabe

Postby Dae » Sat Jan 17, 09 12:50 am

When this community tries to solve a common problem all together, it comes apart at the seams.

Worth giving a shot though.
Last edited by Dae on Sat Jan 17, 09 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dae
Alpha

Postby Mr. Tastix » Sat Jan 17, 09 12:54 am

Dae wrote:When this community tries to solve a common problem all together, it comes apart at the seams.

This only happens because of the server owners having different opinions than the players and other server owners though. If everyone agreed with the topic at hand then it might be different?
Blood is thicker than water and sweeter than candy.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby Kaiden » Sat Jan 17, 09 1:22 am

I managed to get a few servers to ban him such as RTKM ages ago, dunno if he's still banned though.
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby Dae » Sat Jan 17, 09 11:24 am

Psychotic wrote:This only happens because of the server owners having different opinions than the players and other server owners though.

What I meant - there always were people with alternative logic... For example, when Dogny hosted a fake server with "new TestZone version" (while it was old) with our player names in it, there were people who supported him because "alpha thinks that they own the community".
Dae
Alpha

Postby Alex » Sat Jan 17, 09 11:29 am

Dae wrote:
Psychotic wrote:This only happens because of the server owners having different opinions than the players and other server owners though.

What I meant - there always were people with alternative logic... For example, when Dogny hosted a fake server with "new TestZone version" (while it was old) with our player names in it, there were people who supported him because "alpha thinks that they own the community".

Good example: Was once playing in my own server (Hosting RPGCity at the time), and it was quite full. The only server that was that full, I believe.

I was just playing, nothing else, nothing special. Under my own name. Then suddenly a [EL] member comes in and starts a fight, shouting things like "you think you own deus ex!" etcetera..
Alex
Alpha

Postby clyzm » Sat Jan 17, 09 11:31 am

A modification, in itself, are an augger's worst enemy. It contradicts to their original opinion that DX should be played in its pure form.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Dex » Sat Jan 17, 09 1:09 pm

cataclyzm wrote:A modification, in itself, are an augger's worst enemy. It contradicts to their original opinion that DX should be played in its pure form.

They have no life.
Dex
Forum Hero

Postby clyzm » Sat Jan 17, 09 1:13 pm

Stefan wrote:
cataclyzm wrote:A modification, in itself, are an augger's worst enemy. It contradicts to their original opinion that DX should be played in its pure form.

They have no life.

Au contraire my friend, some of the most skilled Deus Ex players are auggers. Augging itself is a very fun gametype and something all Deus Ex players should know how to play.

8)
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby MainMan » Sat Jan 17, 09 1:46 pm

cataclyzm wrote:
Stefan wrote:

They have no life.

Au contraire my friend, some of the most skilled Deus Ex players are auggers. Augging itself is a very fun gametype and something all Deus Ex players should know how to play.

8)

Is it all about skill, really? If you want to play for "skill" go play Call of Duty or some other intensive games. Deus ex was never about how good you are in combat, so the auggers are going against their "Puritan" logic by trying to make Deus Ex into Counter Strike.
MainMan
<i>Tru' Playa' Fer Defs</i>

Postby Wasted. » Sat Jan 17, 09 1:49 pm

Skill is Deus Ex is jumping into someone, turn spy drone on, detroy it so they lose bio, but you're in the air cuaes you jumped with speeg aug and they lose.

So the skill really, is in the user.ini.
Wasted.
Addict

Postby Alex » Sat Jan 17, 09 1:59 pm

DNA wrote:Skill is Deus Ex is jumping into someone, turn spy drone on, detroy it so they lose bio, but you're in the air cuaes you jumped with speeg aug and they lose.

So the skill really, is in the user.ini.

And then get banned by Ste for "using spydrone", after I did the same thing as above, and then GEP'ed him. I love auggers.
Alex
Alpha

Postby Dex » Sat Jan 17, 09 2:08 pm

cataclyzm wrote:
Stefan wrote:

They have no life.

8)

You didn't understand me. I meant that they have no life because they can't just sit and play whatever gametype they want to play instead of spending most of their time complaining how one gametype sucks. That means they have no life.
Dex
Forum Hero

Postby clyzm » Sat Jan 17, 09 2:24 pm

~MainMan~ wrote:
cataclyzm wrote:
Stefan wrote:

They have no life.

8)

Is it all about skill, really? If you want to play for "skill" go play Call of Duty or some other intensive games. Deus ex was never about how good you are in combat, so the auggers are going against their "Puritan" logic by trying to make Deus Ex into Counter Strike.

In essence, skill is the very foundation of competitive online play. :P
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Tantalus » Sat Jan 17, 09 2:34 pm

I think Mainman was mistaking "skill" to reaction times. But argumentatively there is truth behind that as sometimes a quicker bind is needed in place of positioning ones' self; augging makes everything A LOT more frantic.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Wasted. » Sat Jan 17, 09 2:55 pm

1. Augging is fun

2. But I don't go mental when gepped, its not a problem

3. I play COD4 as well and that does infact require more skill that Deus Ex does, Deus Ex is all about binds + reactions.
Wasted.
Addict

Postby Tantalus » Sat Jan 17, 09 3:00 pm

I disagree.

CoD 4 is definitely more about quick responses. Sure, accuracy may be needed but that's a given. Plus one dies in literally a few seconds so there is no need for preservation.

Whereas Deus Ex one needs to avoid bursts of Assault Rifle fire or duck out of the way of a sniper, tactically use a medikit so it doesn't break up their fire-rate and augs add even more of a twist.

But if you GEP the entire time, of course it's going to take less skill.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Wasted. » Sat Jan 17, 09 3:03 pm

If in COD4, you do Search and Destroy for example, and from the start of the round go on the offensive gaining ground, but avoiding snipers or big packs and then get round the back and begin taking them out from behind, i would call that skill.

In Deus Ex everyone runs around with GEPS, HE, or are just the classical Sniper + assault people where you can't tell who will win a fight because it's luck.
Wasted.
Addict

Postby MainMan » Sat Jan 17, 09 4:06 pm

DNA wrote:In Deus Ex everyone runs around with GEPS, HE, or are just the classical Sniper + assault people where you can't tell who will win a fight because it's luck.

No. In DXMP, that is the case. Deus Ex is something completely different.

DNA wrote:Deus Ex is all about binds + reactions.

No. That's DXMP. Deus Ex is all about logic, social interaction, and astutely judged combat where needed.

The Grand Inquisitor wrote:I think Mainman was mistaking "skill" to reaction times.

No, I wasn't. You are mistaking DXMP for Deus Ex.

The Grand Inquisitor wrote:I disagree. [...]

Whereas Deus Ex one needs to avoid bursts of Assault Rifle fire or duck out of the way of a sniper, tactically use a medikit so it doesn't break up their fire-rate and augs add even more of a twist.

No, I disagree.

You guys forget that whilst Deus Ex was the brainchild of Spector which racked up awards and had huge success, DXMP was created by his subordinates in a period of months, purely as a marketing tool to secure the fanbase.

It is no coincidence that soon after the emergence of DXMP, there appeared the development of a Co-operative mod, because players felt that "DXMP" had nothing in common with Deus Ex itself. Now however, most players have forgotten that and treat Deus Ex as a shitty FPS. If you want that, go play some mind-numbing games such as COD or Crysis, where all that matters is the graphics and how fast you can pull out a rifle or whatever, and the actual game content has little to no significance.

Where in DXMP do you see the cyberpunk, philosophical reasoning and conspiracy theories, that made Deus Ex famous and, dare I say it, interesting? Nowhere, because it's a shitpile, so anyone trying to "stay true" to it, is mistaken because DXMP is already a bastardisation of the ideals of Deus Ex.
Last edited by MainMan on Sat Jan 17, 09 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MainMan

Postby Dae » Sat Jan 17, 09 4:26 pm

I fail to imagine a multiplayer deathmatch game with
~MainMan~ wrote:cyberpunk, philosophical reasoning and conspiracy theories

~MainMan~ wrote:"DXMP" had nothing in common with Deus Ex itself.

oh really? what about augs, skills, inventory items, weapons, interface, engine, graphics, similar maps etc? :?
Dae
Alpha

Postby MainMan » Sat Jan 17, 09 4:55 pm

Dae wrote:I fail to imagine a multiplayer deathmatch game with

No, but many of the custom mods / maps of Deus Ex come close. What I'm saying is that DXMP is as estranged as possible from the spirit of Deus Ex.

Dae wrote:oh really? what about augs, skills, inventory items, weapons, interface, engine, graphics, similar maps etc? :?

I'm talking about the concept. The things you mentioned don't make Deus Ex different from other games. The things i mentioned do. :)
Last edited by MainMan on Sat Jan 17, 09 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MainMan

Postby Tantalus » Sat Jan 17, 09 4:57 pm

~MainMan~ wrote:If you want to play for "skill" go play Call of Duty or some other intensive games.
My statement was made as a response to quote cited. I wished to correct the error that Call of Duty requires skill.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Dae » Sat Jan 17, 09 5:06 pm

~MainMan~ wrote:No, but many of the custom mods / maps of Deus Ex come close.

What custom maps and mods combine multiplayer deathmatch with

of original Deus Ex?

(Except failed co-op project, obviously).

~MainMan~ wrote:The things you mentioned don't make Deus Ex different from other games.

They do, at least I don't know any other game with similar combination of augs, skills, inventory items, weapons, interface, engine, graphics and maps :wink:

A concept is nothing without realization.
Dae
Alpha

Postby ~SanguineRose~ » Sat Jan 17, 09 5:07 pm

All game types should be played. There is no one game type that is more 1337 then the other one.

I hate those who think their augs are so high and mighty, same for zero-auggers who think they
are godly compared to those who play with augs. This is all just plain idiotic. Augs do take skills
as in reflexes to be able to turn them on and off at critical moments compared to just shooting
a rifle in zero augs, etc. This does not make it better then the other in any way. If all the games
were the same why play? Playing the same map over and over like smuggler with Augs to say
that you are indeed elite auger and pawn all I consider to be a newbie. Just put him in a different
game type/map and watch how quick he gets pawned himself.
~SanguineRose~
Wannabe

Postby Wasted. » Sat Jan 17, 09 6:02 pm

I don't want to sound too in favoru of augs but its a well known fact that apart from the whole "I move too slowly" thing, auggers own at Zero-aug too.
Wasted.
Addict

Postby Dae » Sat Jan 17, 09 6:12 pm

DNA wrote:auggers own at Zero-aug too

not all, not always
Dae
Alpha

Postby Wasted. » Sat Jan 17, 09 6:29 pm

Dae wrote:
DNA wrote:auggers own at Zero-aug too

not all, not always

I'd bet on 95% of ATDM auggers.
Wasted.
Addict

Postby ~SanguineRose~ » Sat Jan 17, 09 6:40 pm

That was a reference to actual players who can't play zero-augs.
~SanguineRose~
Wannabe

Postby MainMan » Sun Jan 18, 09 12:06 am

Dae wrote:
~MainMan~ wrote:The things you mentioned don't make Deus Ex different from other games.

They do, at least I don't know any other game with similar combination of augs, skills, inventory items, weapons, interface, engine, graphics and maps :wink:

A concept is nothing without realization.

No, but there are games with similar weapons, games which have "augs" or other player-enhancements, skills are obviously nothing new, interface/engine/graphics are just technical details and have nothing original. The maps are good, but they are just part of the overall "concept." What I have not found in any games apart from Deus Ex and what, for me, makes it truly unique and special, is the non-linearity but also the level on which it engages players. Normally, an RPG will make you "solve puzzles", and an FPS will make you "think tactically", but Deus Ex has something enitrely different; it brings in the aspect of morality, the questioning of authority and whether the ends justify the means. The thought process required in Deus Ex is much more interesting than simply "do i attack from the roof or the sewers m8 lol plz help?"

Dae wrote:What custom maps and mods combine multiplayer deathmatch with

of original Deus Ex?

(Except failed co-op project, obviously).

I didn't mean this literally. What I meant was - something like FunLine where you have a shop and some sort of social structure and hierarchy creates interesting situations, because of the fact that raiding the shop is deliberately possible with enough teamwork / planning, and leads to the question of whether you should pay the shopkeeper, or overthrow him? Or even pay the shopkeeper, in order to buy enough weapons to raid the shop? Of course here it is "fun" and lacks the serious and dark undertones of the Deus Ex world, but the concept of the gameplay is the same, and it's what I really like.

In any case, it's much more "true" to Deus Ex than running around at high speed with extreme .ini binds, getting headshots and fighting for who has the best streak - that is nothing original.

@Dae: конечно с иронией, но в этом есть много правды тем немение: http://www.planetdeusex.ru/forum/index. ... wtopic=311
Last edited by MainMan on Sun Jan 18, 09 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
MainMan

Postby Leenuks » Sun Jan 18, 09 4:53 am

Skill and pings.

Ive been playing a long time and I can say ping makes one hell of a difference. My ping ranges from 300-600. I think I play resonably well against low pingers. But I still get fragged a lot.

You can say ping has nothing to do with it.

Im from australia and the pacific ocean hop is an automatic 250ms.

I know ping makes a difference as when the Alien Intel server was up, the aussie one, I had a blast as my ping was 80-120. Total pawnage.

On topic, we still have the lame newbs or noobs (there is a difference) who have to shoot plasma, flamethrower etc on thier teammates or whatever they use to alert the enemy where you are. Yeah It might be fun a few times but after a few minutes it gets really really old. Same goes with the spawnkilling tbh.
Leenuks
Wannabe

Next

Return to Rants & Debates