Shorthand

Serious discussion about news, politics and whatever is on your mind.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Shorthand

Postby Mr. Tastix » Sun Sep 06, 09 2:02 pm

WHY DEAR GOD? FUCKING. WHY?

First off, I'd like to differ what I find as shorthand and what I find as an acronym. Because the two, for me, are entirely different. One I dislike and one I don't mind.

Shorthand: "u" for you, "r" for are, "2" for to, too or two, etc.

Acronyms: brb being short for "be right back", lol short for "laugh out loud", omg short for "oh my god", etc.

Acronyms I do not mind, I even use them. Shorthand I have a problem with however, especially when used in abundance. I know many people started using it for texting as well as instant messaging, but now it's also used in general typing such as e-mails or forum posts.

Some people don't mind it, but I can't stand it. For texting it's fine, because (at least on NZ phones) you only get a limited amount of characters for your message (160 here but I've heard of people having more on different phones). But why for e-mails, forum posts or instant messages? Yes it takes longer to type out something in correct grammar and in paragraphs but at least people can read it!

During my time on the internet I have attempted to use shorthand very scarcely. I have always typed e-mails in proper spelling and grammar (or at least to my best abilities, I don't deliberately make grammatical mistakes), I have attempted to do the same for forum posts. Even on the instant messenging systems I use (Xfire, MSN, Yahoo, Steam, etc) I use proper spelling, or try to.

I don't see the need to brutally bash the English language. But, as I said, I don't mind it if it's used "appropriately" (for lack of a better term). I don't like it when it's used like this.

"Omg Joshua, wow hw r yah???? farowt its ben lyk wat!!!! 10 odd yrs or sumthing huh??? lol man wt yah ben up to nw. u du memba me yeah we were rm 5 with mrs Lees wt u dng nw with yah lyf"

Note: I'm not trying to call this person out or anything. I could have easily found something else like it, but this one was an example readily available.

This was from someone I knew 10 years ago, during primary school. It seems most shorthand is simple removal of vowels. And that's generally because it is. Then we have things like "lyf" for the word "life" and lyk" for "like". I don't see a need for it, maybe you do but I don't.

I spent 10 years at school (less than most) and during that entire time I was taught how to spell, I was taught how to read, and I was taught how to write. I was taught correct spelling and correct grammar, and while I do make typo's (just as everyone else does) I was not taught to remove vowels and make words shorter for "ease-of-use". I don't find it necessary.

A few years back (I don't know the details on it now) some New Zealand Universities, Polytechnics and other tertiary learning centres allowed students to use shorthand in their exam papers. Prior to that you would have been marked down for excessive spelling mistakes and grammatical errors but then they changed that (due to the texting craze) and ruled it out.

It's pathetic really. The education of basic reading and writing are compulsory subjects in New Zealand. All the way up until you are at your 12th year of school (if I recall correctly). For at least 10 years you are taught to read and write. What correct grammar is and how to spell.

I have always hated the Literature side of learning English but I went through it knowing it would help me later in life. I am extremely grateful to know how to read and write. But now, now I feel like the entire subject is pointless. Why bother learning how to write correctly if people are going to turn around in a decade's time and just shorten it to their own liking?
Last edited by Mr. Tastix on Sun Sep 06, 09 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blood is thicker than water and sweeter than candy.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby Alex » Sun Sep 06, 09 2:24 pm

ur makin 2 much fuss out of it man.
Alex
Alpha

Postby Baleout » Sun Sep 06, 09 2:30 pm

I have always hated the Literature side of learning English but I went through it knowing it would help me later in life. I am extremely grateful to know how to read and write. But now, now I feel like the entire subject is pointless. Why bother learning how to write correctly if people are going to turn around in a decade's time and just shorten it to their own liking?

Proper English (or whatever your home language may be) is still essential, as the sort of 'shorthand' used by teenagers on the internet can never function in the real world.

Just ignore them m7.
Last edited by Baleout on Sun Sep 06, 09 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baleout
Master

Postby Mr. Tastix » Sun Sep 06, 09 2:48 pm

Alex wrote:ur makin 2 much fuss out of it man.

Baleout wrote:Just ignore them m7.

+1

I also do note I am making far too much fuss out of it. A full page on one thing? Pretty sad, ain't it? But I was bored and wanted to rant about something. Shorthand was the first thing on my mind (since I had just read that Facebook message) so it was in my line of fire.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby Siva » Sun Sep 06, 09 2:56 pm

The average person is not capable of touch typing, therefore they find it significantly faster to abbreviate words.
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Postby MainMan » Sun Sep 06, 09 3:00 pm

wtf r u on bout m7? is well fst 2 typ lyk dis, dat post mst av taken u ages ty m7
<center>ty m7
</center>
MainMan
<i>Tru' Playa' Fer Defs</i>

Postby Mr. Tastix » Sun Sep 06, 09 3:03 pm

Protocol wrote:The average person is not capable of touch typing, therefore they find it significantly faster to abbreviate words.

I can't touch type. I type with my two index fingers (and get roughly 60-70 WPM doing so, that could be so much more if I learnt to type "properly") because yes, it's far easier.

I still had to learn how to type efficiently. It didn't take just happen overnight. The same goes for anyone who ever learnt how to touch type.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby Hanover Fist » Sun Sep 06, 09 7:43 pm

That's not really shorthand. Shorthand is a writing style used by secretaries in the 80's to take down notes quickly. It's like writing in symbols almost.

What you're talking about is shithand, the hand of those who are constantly wanking off their brothers and upon ejaculation flutter their wrists furiously to make the shit spray everywhere. Because of all the wrist movement, the joints ache and they can't type without pain so they have to type in shithand.

Rumors also suggest it's called shithand because when their brother are busting their nut everywhere, sometimes they stick a few fingers up the asshole for chronic pleasure, and to avoid getting shit particles on many of the keys when they're typing they type in shithand, so it's faster and less likely to make their keyboards stink of fecalness.
Happiness is a full wallet and a loaded clip
Hanover Fist
Master

Postby Baleout » Sun Sep 06, 09 7:44 pm

LOL
Baleout
Master

Postby Hanover Fist » Sun Sep 06, 09 8:05 pm

Baleout wrote:LOL
Code: Select all

[img]http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu37/graffndance00/bailout.jpg[/img]
Happiness is a full wallet and a loaded clip
Hanover Fist
Master

Postby Tantalus » Sun Sep 06, 09 8:18 pm

What pleasure does that give you? Coprophiliac.
Last edited by Tantalus on Sun Sep 06, 09 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Baleout » Sun Sep 06, 09 8:22 pm

What :cry:
Baleout
Master

Postby MainMan » Sun Sep 06, 09 9:01 pm

lol!
<center>ty m7
</center>
MainMan

Postby clyzm » Sun Sep 06, 09 10:05 pm

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

But yeah, that's not shorthand. I know because I write in it daily.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby James » Sat Sep 26, 09 1:28 pm

Nothing wrong with shorthand when you're trying to save time or with character limits like in twittering and SMS. Otherwise, fuck it.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby synthetic » Sat Sep 26, 09 4:52 pm

Ok mexi that is pure gold :lol:
[TSS][¥]{¥+EoD}{RF}{MoH}[G][NEM][UE][N]{U}[REN][BM][FGS][THC][:¤:]
synthetic
Forum Hero

Postby Mr. Tastix » Sat Sep 26, 09 10:02 pm

James wrote:Nothing wrong with shorthand when you're trying to save time or with character limits like in twittering and SMS. Otherwise, fuck it.

Don't get me started on fucken Twitter.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby Spiderbot01 » Sun Sep 27, 09 2:28 pm

New Zealand complaining about English.

lol
<center>------</center><center>
Image</center>
<center>Image</center><
Spiderbot01
Alpha

Postby majinbuu1023 » Sat Nov 07, 09 6:34 pm

Spiderbot01 wrote:New Zealand complaining about English.

lol

How/why is that funny?
majinbuu1023

Postby ~DJ~ » Sun Nov 08, 09 11:21 am

FUCCCCCCCC

CAN'T ANYONE POST THAT RECLAIMER POSTED TURD?!?
~DJ~
Forum Super Hero

Postby MainMan » Sun Nov 08, 09 11:24 am

fu m7
<center>ty m7
</center>
MainMan

Postby James » Sun Nov 08, 09 2:45 pm

majinbuu1023 wrote:
Spiderbot01 wrote:New Zealand complaining about English.

lol

How/why is that funny?

Ignore Max, he's 3 years behind he still thinks I have a combover.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Mr. Tastix » Sun Nov 08, 09 4:51 pm

Ignore Majinbuu1023, my cousin likes to troll forums and I honestly have no idea why he even joined on here when I know he's never played Deus Ex.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby James » Sun Nov 08, 09 4:53 pm

Well now who shall we ignore?
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Mr. Tastix » Sun Nov 08, 09 4:58 pm

Well, I won't ignore Max because I find some of posts rather entertaining. My cousins posts? Not as much.
Mr. Tastix
Forum Legend

Postby James » Sun Nov 08, 09 5:08 pm

Max is funny because he's seriously an echo of a similar personality I had. God bless him.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Return to Rants & Debates