memory

Serious discussion about news, politics and whatever is on your mind.

Moderator: Forum Guards

memory

Postby synthetic » Sat Jul 03, 10 12:48 pm

Without going into depth with anything related to memory, I just found it curious that when you try to solve that mass effect 2 mini-scheme puzzle on doors or whatnot, its easier to memorize the locations by giving them a name. I know one thing is number memory, at times different sources advise translating the number combinations into meanings, while Im far to lazy to try that myself Ive seen a friend memorize all of the codes on his bank card code sheet in a matter of couple hours, using this technique. This aside, I thought Id have better picture/image memory, but no matter how I tried to find some clarity, system, in what I was seeing, simply giving the symbols a name saved me from practically any thinking or memorizing. As for the naming, I used abstract simple labels that simply popped to the mind the moment I saw them, I may have spent 1 second at most per symbol while naming them.

I am not sure how subjective different kinds of memorizing are. Some say they have better number memory while others are confident in their visual memory. What makes me wonder is if my approach to memorizing is an universal easy way out for a human or might it be something that works particularly well for my brain?
Last edited by synthetic on Sat Jul 03, 10 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[TSS][¥]{¥+EoD}{RF}{MoH}[G][NEM][UE][N]{U}[REN][BM][FGS][THC][:¤:]
synthetic
Forum Hero

Postby MainMan » Sat Jul 03, 10 2:34 pm

I was excited when I saw a topic in the rant box suggesting a mature discussion, but I was disappointed upon opening it and realising that it was just another fucking ME2 thread.

Then I realised that this is dxalpha, filled with prepubescant nerd faggots, so what the fuck did I really expect?
Last edited by MainMan on Sat Jul 03, 10 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<center>ty m7
</center>
MainMan
<i>Tru' Playa' Fer Defs</i>

Postby clyzm » Sat Jul 03, 10 2:46 pm

MainMan wrote:I was excited when I saw a topic in the rant box suggesting a mature discussion, but I was disappointed upon opening it and realising that it was just another fucking ME2 thread.

Then I realised that this is dxalpha, filled with prepubescant nerd faggots, so what the fuck did I really expect?

I think you missed the point.
Last edited by clyzm on Sat Jul 03, 10 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby James » Sat Jul 03, 10 2:54 pm

MainMan wrote:I was excited when I saw a topic in the rant box suggesting a mature discussion, but I was disappointed upon opening it and realising that it was just another fucking ME2 thread.

Aren't you one of the youngest? (+ nerdiest)
Last edited by James on Sat Jul 03, 10 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby synthetic » Sat Jul 03, 10 3:00 pm

Gee, looks like my carefully placed tag happened to block him from reading further. Simple minds are simple.
synthetic
Forum Hero

Postby MainMan » Sat Jul 03, 10 3:22 pm

clyzm wrote:I think you missed the point.

Ken wrote:Gee, looks like my carefully placed tag happened to block him from reading further. Simple minds are simple.

I did read further and I got the point, It's just so sad that video games are at the core/stem of everything with you freaks, yet again.

James wrote:Aren't you one of the youngest? (+ nerdiest)

I'm 20, but I was talking about relative maturity rather than just age anyway, and I'm not nerdy at all in person.
Last edited by MainMan on Sat Jul 03, 10 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<center>ty m7
</center>
MainMan

Postby synthetic » Sat Jul 03, 10 3:47 pm

Yeah and Im nerdy as hell in person. I care about hardware/coding/tweaking just as little as I care about narrow-minded imbeciles. I have nothing against the "nerdy" folks, but the latter sicken me. They are a poor excuse for human being. Revelations stem from surroundings or a random task at hand, it is not terribly difficult to realize that, the historical myths from school's basic science only serve as an example to that, if one really has nothing better to draw this conclusion from.
Last edited by synthetic on Sat Jul 03, 10 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
synthetic
Forum Hero

Postby clyzm » Sat Jul 03, 10 3:49 pm

You're welcome to leave :fag:
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby MainMan » Sat Jul 03, 10 3:52 pm

Arguably hardware/coding/tweaking is less nerdy than anime/video games/etc
<center>ty m7
</center>
MainMan

Postby Dex » Sat Jul 03, 10 3:58 pm

MainMan wrote:Arguably hardware/coding/tweaking is less nerdy than anime/video games/etc

uh

uh

uh

uh

no
Dex
Forum Hero

Postby MainMan » Sat Jul 03, 10 4:11 pm

well yeah, you're actually being creative and productive, rather than being a useless wanker doing nothing with your life
<center>ty m7
</center>
MainMan

Postby James » Sat Jul 03, 10 4:25 pm

Arguably hardware/coding/tweaking is less nerdy than anime

They're equally nerdy.

/video games/

how HIGH do you have to be to make a stupid post????
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby synthetic » Sat Jul 03, 10 5:07 pm

Wait, what? Anime, video games? Unless you are talking about the otaku, which I am sure you are not, how is it even possible to call someone who happens to enjoy movies a nerd? Video games are not much different, its all about making the movie, the story, interactive. Manga? Japan is not the only country with deep underlaying history of reading comics. Enjoying entertainment does not equal being a nerd. I suppose it comes down to definition but generally isnt being a nerd about having knowledge or skill in all these things that your general person would not bother looking into? Isnt this the very reason we find nerds useful? You are no nerd if you can tell me what happened in the last Naruto episode, your knowledge is of questionable value however if you can tell me that Naruto had a slightly different hair in that episode and that you spent entire week comparing that episode to the previous ones, skipping on sleep and social activities.

Then again I enjoy the label James for what ever reason forced on you not because it might be offensive in some manner, but because how fucking true it really is. :lol: I need to make a small apology to all the autists world wide, though, as some of them are famous for truly shining in the world of arts, mathematics, mechanics or what ever. Yet we cant over romanticize this condition.

Plenty musicians, corpsegrinder for one, chavs and guidos, sportsmen (a high ranking danish rower I happen to know enjoys games with his other half), writers enjoy video games and/or anime - the very proof to how retarded certain statements by the big cheese are. Some of these people have accomplished more than you ever will, relaxing themselves once in a while in front of the pc or tv. And most of them arent autistic.
Last edited by synthetic on Sat Jul 03, 10 5:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
synthetic
Forum Hero

Postby clyzm » Sat Jul 03, 10 5:16 pm

>mainman

Last edited by clyzm on Sat Jul 03, 10 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby synthetic » Sat Jul 03, 10 5:19 pm

Ebert became the first film critic to win a Pulitzer Prize for Criticism

Mmmm.. somewhere in the galaxy, in the year 2029

Mainman became the first film critic to win a Pulitzer Prize for Sheer Amount of Bullshit Published over 3 decades
Last edited by synthetic on Sat Jul 03, 10 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
synthetic
Forum Hero

Postby clyzm » Sat Jul 03, 10 5:32 pm

That, and

He has also stated in the blog posts that he has never found a video game "worthy of (his) time," and thus has never played one
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby James » Sat Jul 03, 10 5:55 pm

Vin Diesel plays World of Warcraft. Vin Diesel is undoubtedly living better than anyone on this forum.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby clyzm » Sat Jul 03, 10 5:59 pm

Yeah but everyone plays WoW, even Ozzy Osbourne and MR. T
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Mastakilla » Sat Jul 03, 10 6:05 pm

MainMan wrote:Arguably hardware/coding/tweaking is less nerdy than anime/video games/etc

LOL

You're mixing nerdy up with childish
When life gives you lemons... Squeeze them into your eyes and run across a busy intersection, faggot.
Mastakilla
Forum Super Hero

Postby James » Sat Jul 03, 10 6:11 pm

I hope that doesn't insinuate that video games in general are at all childish. I've got acid for that.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Mastakilla » Sat Jul 03, 10 6:13 pm

Video gaming/Anime is an interest you pick up as a child and some keep interested in it and has nothing to do with being nerdy, IMO.

Gimme some acid
When life gives you lemons... Squeeze them into your eyes and run across a busy intersection, faggot.
Mastakilla
Forum Super Hero

Postby James » Sat Jul 03, 10 6:14 pm

BUH aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I thought you were going to say that videogames are immature but whatever.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Professor Layton » Sat Jul 03, 10 7:04 pm

but they are!
GrandpaTerran wrote:THIS MAP HAS BEEN POSTPONED FOR NOW I'LL RE-DEVELOP WHEN I HAVE COMPLETED MY MAPPING TRAINING
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby James » Sat Jul 03, 10 7:15 pm

playing videogames makes u immatur

only MEN dont play videogames u immature losers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lmao shooters??? *becomes 40 and plays mario with the kids*
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Kaiden » Sun Jul 04, 10 1:54 am

Well this thread went off topic fast.
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby Allan » Sun Jul 04, 10 2:13 am

I find it funny that we have a thread about memory right next to a thread about drunks.
Allan
Alpha

Return to Rants & Debates