credit cards

Serious discussion about news, politics and whatever is on your mind.

Moderator: Forum Guards

credit cards

Postby Professor Layton » Sat Jul 17, 10 5:36 pm

Why did people create a card that has all the info you require on the card itself? It's very fraudsensitive. I really can't see why credit cards are still used these days. Worse is the fact that some companies even require you to use credit cards instead of more sensible options that actually have some kind of security on it.
Last edited by Professor Layton on Sat Jul 17, 10 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GrandpaTerran wrote:THIS MAP HAS BEEN POSTPONED FOR NOW I'LL RE-DEVELOP WHEN I HAVE COMPLETED MY MAPPING TRAINING
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby James » Sat Jul 17, 10 5:39 pm

did you get fucked over too lol

read the server thread
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Professor Layton » Sat Jul 17, 10 5:54 pm

nah it was due to that thread though, made me think of how shit the credit card actually is
Last edited by Professor Layton on Sat Jul 17, 10 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GrandpaTerran wrote:THIS MAP HAS BEEN POSTPONED FOR NOW I'LL RE-DEVELOP WHEN I HAVE COMPLETED MY MAPPING TRAINING
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby James » Sat Jul 17, 10 6:08 pm

Yeah my friend was deeper than me and was actually a victim of a fraud by someone unaffiliated to him, had a debt of around £5000.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Re: credit cards

Postby Alex » Sun Jul 18, 10 11:15 am

in my dream i am the star wrote:Why did people create a card that has all the info you require on the card itself? It's very fraudsensitive. I really can't see why credit cards are still used these days. Worse is the fact that some companies even require you to use credit cards instead of more sensible options that actually have some kind of security on it.

What other way would you suggest then? And also, creditcard as a pin now, just like debit. Only for online payments, you don't have to enter your pin: for Dutch sites though, I need to login at my bank's portal (of which the creditcard is) and authenticate myself.
Alex
Alpha

Postby Professor Layton » Sun Jul 18, 10 3:34 pm

Alex wrote:And also, creditcard as a pin now, just like debit. Only for online payments, you don't have to enter your pin: for Dutch sites though, I need to login at my bank's portal (of which the creditcard is) and authenticate myself.

Do you mean a PIN that's not actually written on the card? Because I know some people have a longer code or some extra numbers on the card, but not a seperate PIN that's not written on the card itself.

Alex wrote:What other way would you suggest then?

Off the internet, a debit card would be better. A credit card itself would work too, if it had a seperate PIN, but like I said, not many (if any) seem to have this.

As for the internet, internet banking through your bank portal and paypal both are more secure than using a credit card. Even if you'd have a credit card with a PIN number, there's still the chance that companies will log the info of your creditcard with PIN included.
Last edited by Professor Layton on Sun Jul 18, 10 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby Alex » Sun Jul 18, 10 4:02 pm

in my dream i am the star wrote:
Alex wrote:And also, creditcard as a pin now, just like debit. Only for online payments, you don't have to enter your pin: for Dutch sites though, I need to login at my bank's portal (of which the creditcard is) and authenticate myself.

Do you mean a PIN that's not actually written on the card? Because I know some people have a longer code or some extra numbers on the card, but not a seperate PIN that's not written on the card itself.

That's the CVC code, mainly used for online payments. PIN is exactly as debit PIN. Not written on the card. A while ago I was in Germany, they only accepted creditcard, but yeah, I never use it pay in restaurants, and they asked for my PIN... I ended up walking to the nearest ATM to get some cash by debit.
in my dream i am the star wrote:
Alex wrote:What other way would you suggest then?

Off the internet, a debit card would be better. A credit card itself would work too, if it had a seperate PIN, but like I said, not many (if any) seem to have this.

As for the internet, internet banking through your bank portal and paypal both are more secure than using a credit card. Even if you'd have a credit card with a PIN number, there's still the chance that companies will log the info of your creditcard with PIN included.

Internet banking through your bank portal? What kind of system do you have then? For Dutch webshops, we have this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IDEAL

It's absolutely brilliant, works perfectly. And yeah, Paypal is an option, but stuff like iDEAL in The Netherlands is better, also for the sellers (Paypal asks a % of the total sum, iDEAL costs ~0.50 per transaction, no matter what sum)

EDIT: You cant use creditcard + pin online. When online, they just take my cc number, name, and cvc. When paying on Dutch sites with creditcard, I get forwarded to my bank's website and have to authenticate with a pre-chosen password. (ANNOYING: Only allowed A-Z a-z and 0-9 in the password, no other characters.. So much for security.)
Last edited by Alex on Sun Jul 18, 10 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex
Alpha

Postby Professor Layton » Sun Jul 18, 10 5:25 pm

Alex wrote:PIN is exactly as debit PIN. Not written on the card.

If all cards would have this feature, the credit card would at least be with some reasonable security for offline use.
Alex wrote:Internet banking through your bank portal? What kind of system do you have then? For Dutch webshops, we have this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IDEAL

iDEAL is, sort of, through your bank portal, I thought you meant that when you mentioned bank portal earlier. I Refrained from using the word iDEAL due to it being exclusive to the Netherlands as far as I know.

Alex wrote:When online, they just take my cc number, name, and cvc.

Which is why I'm against credit cards. Apart from someone writing down the numbers of your card or taking a photo of it, there's still a pretty easy way to log the cc info as a site, seeing as most creditcard information is just handled by the site itself, not a third party like iDEAL or paypal which have proven their legiticamy(sp?).

Alex wrote:When paying on Dutch sites with creditcard, I get forwarded to my bank's website and have to authenticate with a pre-chosen password. (ANNOYING: Only allowed A-Z a-z and 0-9 in the password, no other characters.. So much for security.)

I think it's the same for my bank, got used to many sites not allowing different characters so I just decided to go with ridiculously-long-but-easy-to-remember passwords.
Last edited by Professor Layton on Sun Jul 18, 10 5:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Return to Rants & Debates