The degenerative nature of forums

Serious discussion about news, politics and whatever is on your mind.

Moderator: Forum Guards

The degenerative nature of forums

Postby clyzm » Mon Aug 30, 10 10:40 pm

Have you guys ever noticed that the forums you go on nowadays are significantly worse than what they used to be?
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby James » Mon Aug 30, 10 10:42 pm

Yes.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Tantalus » Mon Aug 30, 10 10:50 pm

Totally, as discussed on MSN.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Kaiden » Tue Aug 31, 10 12:33 am

Yup.
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby Dae » Tue Aug 31, 10 12:37 am

No 8-[

although that is because I don't visit a lot of forums regularly
Dae
Alpha

Postby ynnaD » Tue Aug 31, 10 12:40 am

I used to visit 5 forums regularly

That's now down to 2, these forums being one of them
~þsÿçhø~ wrote:My laptops screen is broke, how can i fix it?

James wrote:THROW DARK SOULS AT IT
ynnaD
Forum Legend

Postby Kaiden » Tue Aug 31, 10 1:34 am

While I'm here, Cata your sig is making the sig rules cry :(
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby clyzm » Tue Aug 31, 10 2:37 am

Kaiden wrote:While I'm here, Cata your sig is making the sig rules cry :(

oops

fixed
clyzm
Forum Master God

Re: The degenerative nature of forums

Postby Chococat » Tue Aug 31, 10 10:19 pm

clyzm wrote:Have you guys ever noticed that the forums you go on nowadays are significantly worse than what they used to be?

This is the first forum I have been on since I was last on this forum ;)

I just cba getting to know people on a different forum, plus no topic I want to discuss with randoms I guess.
Chococat
Emmaface

Postby Tantalus » Tue Aug 31, 10 10:35 pm

Randoms are always a mixed bag.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby ynnaD » Tue Aug 31, 10 11:04 pm

This is the only forum i've visited consistently for years
~þsÿçhø~ wrote:My laptops screen is broke, how can i fix it?

James wrote:THROW DARK SOULS AT IT
ynnaD
Forum Legend

Postby Kaiden » Wed Sep 01, 10 1:42 am

clyzm wrote:
Kaiden wrote:While I'm here, Cata your sig is making the sig rules cry :(

oops

fixed

i didn't really mind lol.

But yeah, some of the other forums I've posted on seem to have gone meh in quality, not so much in activity though.
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby James » Fri Sep 03, 10 8:18 pm

I'm a swinger, I belong and I've belonged to a lot of online communities and believe me I have this same attitude on each and every single one of them. For example I found it funny when I got de-admined here and people thought I'd stop being a asshole, whoops.

As for the degenerative nature of online, well I am going to blame 4chan for this. I think it became prominent when I heard the term "troll" a lot more often, now this word and other synonyms such as "taking the piss/mick/toffee" etc has always been around. Nowadays around the internet acting like a retard is now acceptable but there's people who take it to the next level that won't stop trying to piss other people off which I draw the line. This promotes selfish and unfriendly attitudes with the circlejerks of assholes. People are so up their ass these days they'd insult everyone's tastes for the sake of pure disgust and to get a Damn reaction. In the last 3 years off a 4chan TF2 offshoot there's tons of these losers including some mary queen tosser (who got bullied out of highschool) stalking my Myspace, old facebook because I stuck up for a fat kid (who is a cool fat kid). The bully victim ended up being 19 stone, bullied in secondary school (as previously mentioned), aspergers syndrome and he also has a pig nose.

One of the best things ever to do against a troll similar to these is if they start trying to get a reaction is to be terribly serious and very God Damn vague with replies back and after their replies are literally (works everytime) reduced to repeating themselves or laughing constantly just change the subject ignoring them. They have no ammo and would give up very easily.

Oh and don't worry kids I'm the same in person, I'm a cocky chubby opinionated nerd dude with the fashion sense of a hipster from 2001 with a stammer who spent all of yesterday laughing because he finally got a Vegan wool from Wigan out of the work place for treating our workmen who were "not technologically minded" like shit because they couldn't use A WINDOWS MOBILE OS (fucking) PDA application to talk to a shitty Unix based system patched since 1997.

Without getting in tangents, treat people how you want to be treated. Treat me like a faggot.
Last edited by James on Fri Sep 03, 10 9:38 pm, edited 11 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Professor Layton » Fri Sep 03, 10 9:33 pm

As for the degenerative nature of online, well I am going to blame 4chan for this.
4chan is not as popular as you make it out to be. Regardless, there seems to be a lot of people here who have visited it. Just because it's a big reference in the few online communities you participate, doesn't mean it's all over the place. Many fads/memes/jokes/wordplay/hypes are just reposted on that board though, which makes it sound like it's the center of the internet to some.

I think it became prominent when I heard the term "troll"
I've seen the word troll used on many forums, before 4chan even existed, even used it myself, but didnt use it much after something silly in DX:

me: this guy is just being trolled by that person
player: OMG U MEAN TROLLIED IS HERE?

Then a few years later a few on this forum were like "ehehehe am trolling"
Last edited by Professor Layton on Fri Sep 03, 10 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GrandpaTerran wrote:THIS MAP HAS BEEN POSTPONED FOR NOW I'LL RE-DEVELOP WHEN I HAVE COMPLETED MY MAPPING TRAINING
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby James » Fri Sep 03, 10 9:38 pm

I heard the term "troll" a lot more often, now this word and other synonyms such as "taking the piss/mick/toffee" etc has always been around.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Professor Layton » Fri Sep 03, 10 9:40 pm

Then why even mention it in your post?
GrandpaTerran wrote:THIS MAP HAS BEEN POSTPONED FOR NOW I'LL RE-DEVELOP WHEN I HAVE COMPLETED MY MAPPING TRAINING
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby James » Fri Sep 03, 10 9:42 pm

This image, cool face, became troll face.

Troll face was plastered all over the internet whenever someone was sarcastic, it became a HUGE THING to troll online because it's cool guys!!!
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Professor Layton » Fri Sep 03, 10 9:44 pm

So that's where its from :q

WELL LET ME TELL YOU THIS IN CAPS JAMES

MANY SILLY THINGS THAT ORIGINATED SOMEWHERE ELSE BECAME A INTERNETWIDE THING
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby clyzm » Fri Sep 03, 10 9:44 pm

Yeah where the fuck did that coolface come from and why is it now associated with what people call trolling nowadays
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby James » Fri Sep 03, 10 9:48 pm

It came from a comic about weed people can/may relate to with a hilarious outcome with them trying to act like nothing is going wrong.

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles ... 430987.jpg

Smart answers about this image's location aside, the comic is from 4chan and it's been plastered by people.

Whenever people reference 4chan or not and internet memes come from where ever, the trolling crazes of recent years have started at 4chan with it's post 2006 focus on "RUINING LIVES FOR THE SAKE OF IT" mindset and this is something you'd have to trust me despite me not giving a concrete proof.

For a semi related example there's people saying "THE CAKE IS A LIE" yet they don't even know it's from Portal, they're doing it because other people are doing it. These people do indeed exist.
Last edited by James on Fri Sep 03, 10 9:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Professor Layton » Fri Sep 03, 10 9:56 pm

Sure 4chan may have made that image popular, I won't refute that.

Trolling itself however, has been there long before that though, it's popularity is merely caused by the assholeness/humor of humanity: laughing at other people winding themselves up so badly, over something you're just saying to make them do so. The fact that you're just online, where most people don't know much about you, makes it even easier to do so.
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby James » Fri Sep 03, 10 9:59 pm

Oh I know that, but I still find 4chan as a huge benefactor to let the internet embrace their dickish behaviour more openly whenever they're aware of the website or not, there's communities promoting this kind of shit such as Destructroid for example.
Edit: note this is mostly common for nerd culture communities such as music, videogames and technology websites for example. You'd barely find anything at say a football forum where you'd just get confused people "um??..." with one of those gay ass invision board smilies attached.

Why are we having the exact same discussion in private and on the forum lol
Last edited by James on Fri Sep 03, 10 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Professor Layton » Fri Sep 03, 10 10:23 pm

I thought 4chan was just a board with several subjects. Last time I checked, the random board was just... random posts about anything really. Might've changed now though, yes, so tell me, how does it promote being a dick?

Why are we having the exact same discussion in private and on the forum lol

BECAUSE SERIOUS ANGER INSULTING COMES WITH A PRICE ON THESE FORUMS
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby James » Fri Sep 03, 10 10:27 pm

The whole raiding and anti social aspects of it all ranging from pictures of ex girlfriends/stalking women the majority find hot, arguing about literally anything (/v/), being so opinionated and because of it being 'open' people who dislike something go into the thread and slag it off or being elitist (/mu/, /g/)

in my dream i am the star wrote:BECAUSE SERIOUS ANGER INSULTING COMES WITH A PRICE ON THESE FORUMS

homage to 4chan!!!
Last edited by James on Fri Sep 03, 10 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Professor Layton » Sat Sep 04, 10 11:15 am

How does being socially awkward, being a creep by posting pics of girls you know and fantasize about, contribute to being a dickhead?
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby James » Sat Sep 04, 10 11:16 am

Well ask Dex.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Dex » Sat Sep 04, 10 12:54 pm

I have no boundaries.
Dex
Forum Hero

Postby James » Sun Sep 05, 10 7:02 am

I'd like to note because of my lack of knowledge of memes (I am not a faggot), the cool face WAS actually the 'troll face'.

This was created on /r9k/, a /b/tard took it and plagiarised it in the cool face comic which surged it in popularity to be used as a troll face bastardising the original comic's insult and reality of most trolls.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Kaiden » Sun Sep 05, 10 9:51 am

I agree with what James wrote, for some reason people who I'm sure have never even been on 4chan keep quoting "trolllface.jpg" and stuff.
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby ~DJ~ » Sun Sep 05, 10 10:34 am

It seems that I lack.. ALOT OF MEME KNOWLEDGE
~DJ~
Forum Super Hero

Next

Return to Rants & Debates