Christianity in a nutshell

Serious discussion about news, politics and whatever is on your mind.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Christianity in a nutshell

Postby Aidan » Thu Dec 01, 11 1:21 am

[youtube]uDHFAsY6rSA[/youtube]

ahaha, this kid is funny.

I find Christianity one of the most absurd of any religion imo.
Last edited by Aidan on Thu Dec 01, 11 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Tantalus » Thu Dec 01, 11 4:09 am

ERRRRRGGGHHH.

Do you know what's more obnoxious than a dogmatic Christian? A fucking dogmatic Atheist. And they're on a ratio of 2:1 compared to dogmatic religious posters.

I love how this kid, yes he's a KID, just flat-out read the Bible literally. What was the last book you took at face-value and appreciated it properly? The Hungry Caterpillar, probably.

Honestly, there is no 'absurdity' or 'rationality' when it comes to things as personal and emotional as faith because it encompasses your world view! Is it rational to marry? Nope because there's a 50% chance you'll end up with half your assets gone. What I'm trying to say is that religion cannot be viewed at such a superficial and tyrannically logical level. Furthermore, it can't truly be critiqued from an outside perspective either.

One of the greatest moves I have ever experienced in life was my growing-out of my dogmatic loud-mouth atheist stage to a state of understanding and critical agnosticism.
Last edited by Tantalus on Thu Dec 01, 11 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby clyzm » Thu Dec 01, 11 4:52 am

^jake said it all
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Tantalus » Thu Dec 01, 11 4:56 am

It's the sheer arrogance that gets to me most of all. Who/in what position are you to judge someone's perspective?
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Aidan » Thu Dec 01, 11 5:43 am

I believe in some sort of supreme being. I never said anything about having anything against another persons beliefs. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I've never been "Atheist", or have ever had that sort of attitude. In my family, many of us believe in different things, so I'm very open. There are various religions, or aspects I can't believe in for the life of me though.

One of the issues I have with Christianity, and a few other beliefs are that there are quite some people, try to shove it down your throat.

I have a hard time respecting something that is forced at me. Not to mention that it can be fairly the opposite situation with a religious group judging your decision to not believe in their faith, and sending out pamphlets that you will be damned forever in fire, etc.

It isn't all one sided; however, there are select religions/beliefs I respect, that do not force anyone to follow their teachings.

If I believe in anything, it's soulforce.
Last edited by Aidan on Thu Dec 01, 11 5:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Tantalus » Thu Dec 01, 11 1:36 pm

"TRY TO SHOVE IT DOWN [YOUR] THROAT"

http://www.youtube.com/user/theamazinga ... end=1&ob=4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3Wb_cZcg9M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09Fo6LahVvI

You will obviously retort with "yeah but that's just douchebag atheists on the internet"

Well I'm making a generalisation like you have JUST done prior. If you actually talk to the majority of Catholics, Protestants even Mormons to an extent, you will see they're just getting along with their lives.

I have heard many more (ironically enough) holier-than-thou atheists getting off on belittling people's beliefs.

It can apply the other way as well, I had to spend a weekend in Amsterdam (it was the best time,by the way) with a Jew who hated ALL Arabs.
Last edited by Tantalus on Thu Dec 01, 11 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby James » Thu Dec 01, 11 1:49 pm

If you don't live in South USA, I think the stereotypical pattern of development is this:
(Religion/belief in something that gets shattered to) Obnoxious Atheism to Agnosticism "Hey, maybe if something happens I'll believe it." to Atheism.

Me:
I don't believe in religion.
I don't believe in a creator of any sorts or fate.
I am content in living my life without a mystical greater purpose, myself and others give purpose in my life rather than a bard's tale of assorted bearded men.
But most importantly I don't care about your beliefs and accept them as your own as long as you accept my own.

It can apply the other way as well, I had to spend a weekend in Amsterdam (it was the best time,by the way) with a Jew who hated ALL Arabs.

I hope you called him a zionist and fell out with him?
Last edited by James on Thu Dec 01, 11 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Professor Layton » Thu Dec 01, 11 1:57 pm

lets be frendly atheist frenz james m8 :oops:
GrandpaTerran wrote:THIS MAP HAS BEEN POSTPONED FOR NOW I'LL RE-DEVELOP WHEN I HAVE COMPLETED MY MAPPING TRAINING
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby James » Thu Dec 01, 11 1:58 pm

PRAISE THE SUN \o/

OUR LORD ON EARTH, RICHARD DAWKINS
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Mastakilla » Thu Dec 01, 11 2:44 pm

Tantalus wrote:[size=24]I had to spend a weekend in Amsterdam (it was the best time,by the way) with a Jew who hated ALL Arabs.

lmao he should take a taxi there
When life gives you lemons... Squeeze them into your eyes and run across a busy intersection, faggot.
Mastakilla
Forum Super Hero

Postby Siva » Thu Dec 01, 11 2:49 pm

Just a note about the people who 'try to shove it down your throat'

Very rarely does anyone try to force you to believe, because that's just stupid. As for people who ask you about your religion and why you don't believe what they do? Well think about it like this - if you truly believed that someone was going to be punished for eternity for having a lack of belief, wouldn't you consider it your duty to at least try to educate them?
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Postby Professor Layton » Thu Dec 01, 11 2:57 pm

A lot of the times it isn't just people asking you about your religion and asking you why you don't believe what they do though. I don't mind talking about it with people and discuss about it. But there's a big difference between that and constantly telling/urging someone they really should believe what you do, even if your intentions are good.
GrandpaTerran wrote:THIS MAP HAS BEEN POSTPONED FOR NOW I'LL RE-DEVELOP WHEN I HAVE COMPLETED MY MAPPING TRAINING
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby Dae » Thu Dec 01, 11 3:47 pm

I believe in Joe Pesci. He looks like a guy who can get things done O:)
Dae
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Thu Dec 01, 11 5:10 pm

Tantalus wrote:"TRY TO SHOVE IT DOWN [YOUR] THROAT"

http://www.youtube.com/user/theamazinga ... end=1&ob=4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3Wb_cZcg9M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09Fo6LahVvI

You will obviously retort with "yeah but that's just douchebag atheists on the internet"

Well I'm making a generalisation like you have JUST done prior. If you actually talk to the majority of Catholics, Protestants even Mormons to an extent, you will see they're just getting along with their lives.

I have heard many more (ironically enough) holier-than-thou atheists getting off on belittling people's beliefs.

It can apply the other way as well, I had to spend a weekend in Amsterdam (it was the best time, by the way) with a Jew who hated ALL Arabs.

I never said they weren't?

Have you read what I've typed? Many of my family members close and far, have many various religious beliefs.

I don't care about Atheists. Whenever there's one causing trouble, more often than not... it's against some religion for an unjust reason. Some can put up a good debate; although this is rare.

Everyone has opinion of choice, but I find it silly when "Jew who hated all Arabs". No matter who killed what, why and where years ago.. should not effect your relationship with people you don't even know. All religion aside, we're all the same people, and should treat each other as such, as well as respecting each individuals views on life. It's just barbaric to instantly categorize people because "oh, they believe in this", "oh, they killed this person and destroyed the sacred village this many thousands of years ago", WHEN THE 18 YEAR OLD PABLO IS A NICE GUY AND WORKS HIS ASS OFF TO SUPPORT HIS FAMILY AND HAS NOTHING AGAINST YOU, AND COULD PROBABLY BE A GOOD FRIEND. I find Christianity silly, and one of my best friends is a hardcore Christian, as is his entire family. I don't generalise people, and categorize them. I'm rather annoyed when various people in these religious groups consistently try and force their religion on your beliefs on to you, but this is not EVERYONE. Again, this is all my opinion.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Thu Dec 01, 11 5:15 pm

I can't agree with people being the same, I praise differences in people yet that always comes with negatives. There's always people who are going to dislike people because they like something themselves dislike.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Tantalus » Thu Dec 01, 11 5:30 pm

Aidan wrote:I never said they weren't?

Have you read what I've typed? Many of my family members close and far, have many various religious beliefs.

"I'm not racist, I have a black best friend" is the line of argument used here.

Aidan wrote:I don't generalise people, and categorise them.

Aidan wrote:One of the issues I have with Christianity, and a few other beliefs are that there are quite some people try to shove it down your throat

You were not targeting individuals who 'shove their beliefs down your throat' but at an immaterial body of religious thought because there are some people who 'shove their beliefs down your throat'. Now if that's not categorisation and generalisation I don't know what is.

Thus why I put a comparison with Atheists, along the lines of (if you didn't catch it) "One of the issues I have with Atheism is that there are some neck beards in the group who post obnoxious Youtube videos and shout all the time".

Do you read what you type, Aidan?

Aidan wrote:we're all the same people, and should treat each other as such, as well as respecting each individuals views on life.

No, no we're not. We're all completely different. That's the point. Instead of ignoring differences, why not celebrate them akin to what James is putting across above.
Last edited by Tantalus on Thu Dec 01, 11 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Aidan » Thu Dec 01, 11 5:53 pm

"I'm not racist, I have a black best friend" is the line of argument used here.

This is not the case at all. The only thing worse than categorizing, is assuming. I know much about many religions, the teaching, beliefs, and history. I once talked to my cousin for hours about the religion he sees for himself, Islam. Found it fascinating, and one of the most interesting religions out there.

I definitely agree that I contradicted myself there. However, it doesn't mean I dislike Christians.

The religion? Yes. People? (as long as they're not 'shoving the religion down my throat') Of course not :)

I think you two have a different idea of what I meant by we're all the same. I meant that we're all human.

Many forget this, and it clouds their judgement amongst perfectly good people.

Those who try to shove their religion down my throat have always been very nice people. This does not mean I respect what they're doing though.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Tantalus » Thu Dec 01, 11 9:41 pm

Aaaand once again you're missing the point. You disapprove of individuals shoving their faith down your throat, you shouldn't disapprove (and thus generalise) of a religion because certain practicers shove their faith down your throat.

Analogy time! If I had a wad of money and started flashing it in your face saying how you should work exceptionally hard and get wads of money. You wouldn't then say "I hate capitalism because Jake flaunted his money around me".

I know exactly what you meant by 'we're all the same', but there are humans you approve of, and humans you disapprove of. Being 'human' isn't a uniting characteristic and is quite a superficial way of discussing tolerance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uwz3Hnnw5L4#t=0m09s

Never once was there any objectivity in the matter; you should pick that up by now.
Signatures are dumb.

Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Aidan » Fri Dec 02, 11 1:07 am

"I find Christianity one of the most absurd of any religion imo."

Original statement. No matter if people force it on me or not, it's not changing my views on it.

"One of the issues I have with Christianity, and a few other beliefs are that there are quite some people, try to shove it down your throat."

As stated before, I know I contradicted myself.

I suppose what I meant was..

"One of the issues I have with religious discussions are that there are quite some people, that try to shove their views down your throat."

There, much better :lol:
Aidan
CandyMan

Return to Rants & Debates