Parenting and Facebook

Serious discussion about news, politics and whatever is on your mind.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Parenting and Facebook

Postby James » Fri Feb 10, 12 6:49 am

I'm going to read a letter my 15 year old daughter wrote. There ARE some curse words in it. None of them are incredibly bad, but they are definitely things a little kid shouldn't hear... not to mention things MY KID shouldn't say!

http://www.facebook.com/tommyjordaniii/ ... 9803434210

A
It's not about the money so much as it is, showing just how hard he can take it away and how hard he can make her life a living hell.

B
His daughter is telling everyone that he is a terrible parent, knowing that other people would see it and start to think that her father is an ahole. The entire point is treat others how you want to be treated. If you're going to make fun of someone be prepared to but your money where your mouth is.

Is he in the right?
Last edited by James on Wed Aug 22, 12 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Mastakilla » Fri Feb 10, 12 8:06 am

With a goatee like that how can he be wrong?

Seriously though, ofcourse he is in the right
Living with your parents and them buying you stuff it's only decent to work for them.
Also going to sleep at 10pm seems normal for a 15 year old.

Silly destroying the laptop though, but he got a good point across
When life gives you lemons... Squeeze them into your eyes and run across a busy intersection, faggot.
Mastakilla
Forum Super Hero

Postby Hanover Fist » Fri Feb 10, 12 9:36 am

Obviously the child is a brat. But I think the poor communication between the family is what causes such tirades in both her and the father. They seem like yokels to me. I can't that accent or stuttering seriously. Neither could she.

And he got more bent out of shape that she was cussing than the fact she was making an idiot out of herself by slandering him. He made an idiot of himself trying to act like a man with insight about parenting when he is obviously failing and is just causing facepalm to sensible americans.

As for whos in the right... I don't really care. This is popular because it's outrageous idiotic parenting that's just entertaining to laugh at.

The kid is a fifteen year old spoiled whiner with a sense of entitlement. I wonder why
Last edited by Hanover Fist on Fri Feb 10, 12 9:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Happiness is a full wallet and a loaded clip
Hanover Fist
Master

Postby Psychotic » Thu Mar 01, 12 2:17 am

Waste of a good laptop, if you ask me, but whatever.

They're as bad as each other, in the end.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby ynnaD » Wed Aug 22, 12 11:11 am

http://8minutesoffame.com/response-to-dr-phil/

Brilliant read, a response from the father to an interview on the subject made by Dr Phil
~þsÿçhø~ wrote:My laptops screen is broke, how can i fix it?

James wrote:THROW DARK SOULS AT IT
ynnaD
Forum Legend

Postby Psychotic » Wed Aug 22, 12 4:17 pm

I love his original Facebook post, frankly. Whilst I do think he's an over-aggressive parent who completely overreacted in this scenario, I don't like the idea of Dr. Phil trying to shove crap he doesn't want down his throats.

But some of this guys points are actually well thought out and yeah, it's a good read. You actually get a much better feel for the situation when it's all spread out on the table like this.

I'm not a fan of the whole "You can dislike anyone you want, and you can even publicly say so, but if you live in my house you’d better not do it with language like that!" though, but that's basically because he probably uses the same language behind closed doors.

People learn it from somewhere, and they're going to continue learning it. I learned it from my father. You shouldn't teach your kids not to swear, you should teach them when it's appropriate and not appropriate to do so, and how to swear in context (which she didn't do - she just insulted people).

The thing I got from reading this though, is that the daughter is a fairly normal 15 year old teenager: Rebellious, has that "the world is out to get me" attitude and hates everything her parents tell her. I went through it, my sisters went through it and I damn bet Dr. Phil went through it. So why the fuck did people like him make such a big damn deal out of it?

Aside from the fact his punishment was unorthodox (if he had just spanked or screamed at her then he'd be fine) it probably also made good television (no, I don't believe people like Dr. Phil are in it to be "nice guys").

[e] I didn't know Dr. Phil had his license revoked, apparently. Well, "chose to not have one" might be more accurate. Either way he's apparently not a licensed clinical psychologist (probably less likely to be sued for a show on education than for "medical uses" that way). That's interesting.
Last edited by Psychotic on Wed Aug 22, 12 4:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Return to Rants & Debates