The Hillsborough Justice Campaign

Serious discussion about news, politics and whatever is on your mind.

Moderator: Forum Guards

The Hillsborough Justice Campaign

Postby James » Mon Jul 23, 12 6:51 am

How would you feel if you were told you were wrecking a conversation because of the heart rending pain you endure when you see The Sun tabloid? I feel like I need to preach justice for the 96, the friends and family of those who were mocked on the day our government and police failed to protect them.

---
From http://dontbuythesun.co.uk/site/:

A surprising number of people seem unaware of the boycott of The Sun by supporters of Liverpool Football Club. Some don’t seem to know it is boycotted, others don’t know why. Some people rather disturbingly know why the boycott exists but still choose to buy it.

If you choose to continue to buy The Sun after reading this article, and the articles it links to, then you ought to stop calling yourself a Liverpool supporter. Collect any shirts or scarves you have, and hand them in to a charity shop. In fact you can’t really call yourself a football supporter. The lies printed in The Sun that you will read about below were aimed at Liverpool supporters, people from Liverpool, people from the North of England, football supporters of any club. If you fall into any of those categories you certainly shouldn’t be buying, reading, or visiting the website of that newspaper. If you are a decent human being you will be steering clear of it from now on, even if you’ve not done so before.

[spoiler="Read on"]If you buy the paper regularly already, print off all of this information, and save your money tomorrow. Read these articles instead. If you still want to buy that paper the following day I would be surprised.

The boycott of The Sun goes back to April 1989, over 20 years ago. On April 15th 1989 a disaster took place which resulted in the deaths of ninety-six Liverpool supporters at Hillsborough, the home ground of Sheffield Wednesday, during an FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest. Ninety-six people had their lives crushed out of them. Many more are said to have ended their own lives since as a consequence of that disaster. A lot of injustices came out of that disaster, far too many to list here. For more information visit the Hillsborough Justice Campaign website at http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough and please try to support them.

This article concentrates on one piece of injustice that could so easily have been avoided. That could so easily have been made a little better, if not fixed, in the intervening years. Lies were printed as fact in a British newspaper, and that newspaper has still not made an unconditional apology for what it printed. Its editor of the time has never made an unconditional apology in all of that time.

The headlines and sub-headlines on the front page of The Sun newspaper on the Wednesday following the disaster were as follows:

“The Truth.
Some fans picked pockets of victims
Some fans urinated on the brave cops
Some fans beat up PC giving kiss of life.”

So just four days after their loved ones had died, four days after they had narrowly escaped death themselves, Liverpool supporters were confronted with those headlines. People actually believed those headlines. Those who were there did not believe the headlines of course, nor did those who knew people who had been there. Unfortunately though a lot of people did believe those headlines; people who were not Liverpool supporters, perhaps supporters of another team or people who did not follow football at all. The headlines sewed seeds in so many people’s minds that the 96 supporters died at the hands of their own kind. All lies, all proven to be lies, yet never put right by that publication.

For more on the media coverage, visit http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/history/media.shtm, Hillsborough Football Disaster: Context and Consequences, http://football.guardian.co.uk and Wikipedia .

The Wikipedia article says:
“The story accompanying these headlines claimed that ‘drunken Liverpool fans viciously attacked rescue workers as they tried to revive victims’ and ‘police officers, firemen and ambulance crew were punched, kicked and urinated upon’. A quote, attributed to an unnamed policeman, claimed that a dead girl had been abused and that Liverpool fans ‘were openly urinating on us and the bodies of the dead’.”


Read that last bit again, it really was printed in a national newspaper.

Liverpool legend and the manager of the club at the time Kenny Dalglish was greatly affected by the tragedy. He attended numerous funerals and visited people in hospital, some of whom were in comas; he spent time with those that had lost their loved ones. In his autobiography he talks about the Disaster and recalls the media coverage:

“The press coverage was difficult to comprehend, particularly the publication of pictures which added to people’s distress. There was one photograph of two girls right up against the Leppings Lane fence, their faces pressed into the wire. Nobody knows how they escaped. They used to come to Melwood every day, looking for autographs, and that photograph upset everyone there because we knew them. After seeing that I couldn’t look at the papers again.

When the Sun came out with the story about Liverpool fans being drunk and unruly, underneath a headline ‘The Truth,’ the reaction on Merseyside was one of complete outrage. Newsagents stopped stocking the Sun. People wouldn’t mention its name. They were burning copies of it. Anyone representing the Sun was abused. Sun reporters and photographers would lie, telling people they worked for the Liverpool Post and Echo. There was a lot of harassment of them because of what had been written. The Star had gone a bit strong as well but they apologised the next day. They knew the story had no foundation. Kelvin MacKenzie, the Sun’s editor, even called me up.

“How can we correct the situation?” he said.

“You know that big headline – ‘The Truth’?” I replied. “All you have to do is put ‘We lied’ in the same size. Then you might be all right.”

Mackenzie said: “I cannot do that.”

“Well,” I replied, “I cannot help you then.”

That was it. I put the phone down. Merseysiders were outraged by the Sun. A great many still are."


There is no excuse for buying or reading The Sun. None whatsoever. If you read that newspaper, or worse still you buy that newspaper, after reading this article and those other articles that are linked to, then you are not fit to call yourself a Red. If you support another team, you should still be able to see why that newspaper should be boycotted. No matter what competitions they are running. Regardless of any “exclusives” they claim to have, even if it is the only paper left in the shop. Saying you bought it to get some tokens to help your daughter’s school to buy a new computer is not going to get you off the hook. It’s really simple:

Don’t buy the Sun.[/spoiler]
---

My life had changed by the time I was 2 months old, I would later experience social prejudice and mistrust over the location I've come from by people none the wiser. Being a Scouser is something I have to take pride in because of the staggering amount of abuse and looks I have gotten whenever someone hears my accent outside of my city.

It has taken us 23 years to acquire the documents relating to the disaster from the government, not only is this issue rooted in with The Sun, it was covered up by a harsh, disgusting Conservative government. But does this only include this disaster? No it doesn't. You should simply not read The Sun at all.

http://the-sun-lies.blogspot.co.uk/

For comparison's sake please be aware it is a Murdoch product, News Corporation also own the untrustworthy Fox News Channel.

I'm going to a statement; I will highlight and pressure any linking of The Sun newspaper on this forum because I will assume you wouldn't know any better. I would rather not see or be reminded that the newspaper exists.
I am dead.
User avatar
James
Alpha
 
Posts: 28880
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 03 9:14 pm
Location: Home

Postby clyzm » Mon Jul 23, 12 7:16 am

yeah the Sun is a horrible newspaper guys, why would you even link it as a credible source on a story, i thought this was common sense?
Image
User avatar
clyzm
Forum Master God
 
Posts: 16023
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 04 2:48 am
Location: Chiraq

Postby Tantalus » Mon Jul 23, 12 7:54 am

Don't worry, I wouldn't buy that tripe regardless.
Signatures are dumb.

Image
User avatar
Tantalus
Forum Super Hero
 
Posts: 4074
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 08 1:23 am
Location: Bicycle Land

Postby ynnaD » Mon Jul 23, 12 10:00 am

The trauma caused by this event still lives on to this day.

Don't buy the Sun
~þsÿçhø~ wrote:My laptops screen is broke, how can i fix it?

James wrote:THROW DARK SOULS AT IT
User avatar
ynnaD
Forum Legend
 
Posts: 6458
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 04 8:43 pm
Location: Ireland

Postby Psychotic » Mon Jul 23, 12 10:17 am

Take this how you will. I won't say "I don't care" because I do. I'm not trying to offend or insult you in any way, what I'm saying is you don't deserve to sit there and make accusations against people like myself who "don't know any better". That last sentence leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth, because whether you meant to or not, I read it as if you think I'm a goddamn idiot and I don't damn well appreciate being called a fucking idiot, implied or not.

I would feel sympathetic for you and your cause James, if it weren't for the fact you're coming off as incredibly arrogant: Believing people should know these things automatically.

Why would I know, or care, about anything related to The Sun tabloid? I live in New Zealand, a country which does not sell that tabloid nor boasts news about it. Am I to immediately know about some horrible incident that happened over 20 years ago? No, I am not.

You could have explained why you disliked it, even made this topic beforehand and then linked to it, but you didn't. You went off-topic, had a mini-rant about the paper, then deleted your posts and any linking back to it. The topic in question was never about the newspaper, it was about a man's opinions on the future.

I'm sorry for this "heart rending pain" you feel every time this particular tabloid is mentioned but I will not accept that I should automatically "know something".

Am I an insensitive asshole? Perhaps; I have been told it's one of my many traits. It's a tragic story, for sure, but I don't appreciate someone making bold generalizing assumptions. Not only this but, being the cynic I am, truly doubt the effectiveness of the website. It's a great idea that won't solve anything, and neither will your knee-jerk reactions about the mention of a newspaper.

I spent a lot of time thinking about this post before writing it. Like I said, I'm not trying to insult you. At least take that into consideration.

On the bright side, I've never brought The Sun nor planned to (granted, I don't buy any newspaper).
Last edited by Psychotic on Mon Jul 23, 12 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
User avatar
Psychotic
Master
 
Posts: 1170
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 12 1:54 am
Location: New Zealand

Postby James » Mon Jul 23, 12 10:50 am

Magniir wrote: if it weren't for the fact you're coming off as incredibly arrogant: Believing people should know these things automatically.


I'm not, I stated in that thread before splitting my posts.

3. Even if this does not personally affect you, the fact you responded sarcastically suggests you're not familiar with the lack of quality or standards this newspaper has to offer.

I would rather educate about that disgusting rag


Also here:
http://imgco.de/103QMB.jpg

On the rest: I'm also adamant in my view that discussing such a subject is futile when it is brought forward solely by The Sun. I cannot, will not respect or take a conversation seriously when it involves that rag as the evidence or credible source. There isn't anything or anybody who will be able to change this view.
Last edited by James on Mon Jul 23, 12 11:02 am, edited 5 times in total.
I am dead.
User avatar
James
Alpha
 
Posts: 28880
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 03 9:14 pm
Location: Home

Postby Psychotic » Mon Jul 23, 12 11:03 am

Clearly I didn't see that post.

My major gripe is simply with you forcing your views down the throats of others with a general disregard to the lack of knowledge on the subject.

You have taken on a personal tirade against The Sun which would be fine if it only concerned you and all else on the same tirade. Rather than simply ignore the topic in question however, you chose to lash out for completely unknown reasons to me at the time.

You can blame me for thinking poorly of the situation and your general attitude in regards to it, but can you say I was wrong? Based on the information given I saw nothing but a personal attack against a topic you simply disliked. Without this topic to explain the situation it would have continued to look pathetic.

There's no assumption here. I say it how I saw it and that is how I saw it.

You should have posted this beforehand, not as an afterthought. Even better, you should have simply ignored the topic altogether.

James wrote:I cannot, will not respect or take a conversation seriously when it involves that rag as the evidence or credible source. There isn't anything or anybody who will be able to change this view.


And I should sit here whilst someone wildly puts my own intelligence into question based on mere ignorance of a topic which has nothing to do with me? I think not.

I'm not asking you to change your views, I'm asking you to ignore the topic when it comes into question. It's not that hard and you know you can do it.

Your comments about "wrecking a convo" are rather crap, to be frank, and have been taken completely out of context. You were told that because, as I said, you came into a random topic and derailed it due to a personal bias against the paper the article was posted in. Your response looked like nothing more than that, with no real reason behind it other than some off-topic rant.

That one sweeping Twitter status also comes off as pretentious. Again: Why should I naturally be aware of the monstrosities The Sun has done to you? Because you think I should? Why would I, an Australian-born New Zealand resident know anything about The Sun? I wouldn't, so stop assuming I should.
Last edited by Psychotic on Mon Jul 23, 12 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
User avatar
Psychotic
Master
 
Posts: 1170
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 12 1:54 am
Location: New Zealand

Postby James » Mon Jul 23, 12 11:11 am

You had replied to it.

I wasn't forcing my views, I highlighted (in a vague way) that the original post had cited The Sun. Can you please show me where my views were 'forced down the throats of others'? The general disregard is entirely correct, I had highlighted I had no interest in speculating an individual's project that has barely started.

I don't blame you, but I do question how it was a personal attack on a subject I didn't like when I had highlighted simply 'The Sun'. The reactions that followed prompted me to explain it. If this is a personal attack, I am very confused. I think it was best to highlight the story was put forward by The Sun before people got carried away.

edit:
It wasn't pretentious really, it was factual (except I was called dumb, not stupid). May you please stop accusing me that I was doing nothing more than to highlight The Sun is a really bad newspaper?
Last edited by James on Mon Jul 23, 12 11:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
I am dead.
User avatar
James
Alpha
 
Posts: 28880
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 03 9:14 pm
Location: Home

Postby Psychotic » Mon Jul 23, 12 11:15 am

It's not a "personal attack" against me. I'm not saying you're attacking me personally, I'm just stating that I find it personally insulting when you make wild assumptions (which is rather hypocritical of me, actually).

My original post about how I foresee the topic being derailed was actually a snide, side remark. Maybe I should have mentioned as such but I didn't feel the need at the time.

James wrote:It wasn't pretentious really, it was factual (except I was called dumb, not stupid). May you please stop accusing me that I was doing nothing more than to highlight The Sun is a really bad newspaper?


Me calling you pretentious isn't an assumption, it's an opinion. I don't expect others nor yourself to agree with it. The comment is subjective, I find it hard to "assume" anything of your character because of that.

I understand all you want to do is highlight the atrocity that is The Sun, but you could have done that better, in my opinion. I shouldn't have to explain why, since I have already stated I felt like my intelligence was being put into question, something I highly dislike (and hence my own bout of frustration).

[e] I don't think it had to be said but maybe it should be noted my opinions are my own. I'm not speaking on behalf of anyone, nor am I saying you are making a "personal attack" on anyone in particular. My outcry was because I was offended by them, not because someone else was.

Really though, this shouldn't have to be stated. It's obvious I don't speak for anyone but myself.
Last edited by Psychotic on Mon Jul 23, 12 11:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
User avatar
Psychotic
Master
 
Posts: 1170
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 12 1:54 am
Location: New Zealand

Postby James » Mon Jul 23, 12 11:19 am

Very well.

edit:

Agreed, I see that.
Last edited by James on Mon Jul 23, 12 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am dead.
User avatar
James
Alpha
 
Posts: 28880
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 03 9:14 pm
Location: Home

Postby Psycho » Mon Jul 23, 12 12:47 pm

I first watched the documentry Hillsborough by ITV when I was 12 years old on a video when I was in Liverpool visiting family, but I can't bring myself to watch it again. I have family who where there on the day, who may not have been hurt, but it certainly affected them mentally to this day. The disgusting lies The S*n created is a utter disgrace, and anyone who reads the paper after knowing what happened, I have no respect for at all. Even here in North Wales, the majority boycott it, and newsagents try and hide it.

The documentry im talking about, is apparently not allowed to be aired any more, after the cornoner who was on the program, apparently took out a injunction, due to the fact that he was unhappy with the way he was portrayed, which angers me, as the drama is extremely hard hitting, and very educating.
User avatar
Psycho
Forum Hero
 
Posts: 2601
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 04 11:00 am
Location: North Wales

Postby Kaiden » Tue Jul 24, 12 3:51 pm

Thanks for highlighting that, I was never completely clear on why a few locals (from Liverpool) who visit the pub I work at were so anti-sun, and didn't really want to pry too much.
Last edited by Kaiden on Tue Jul 24, 12 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------
Kaiden
Alpha
 
Posts: 6996
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 06 11:21 pm
Location: England

Postby ynnaD » Wed Sep 12, 12 2:36 pm

Today has been a massive day
~þsÿçhø~ wrote:My laptops screen is broke, how can i fix it?

James wrote:THROW DARK SOULS AT IT
User avatar
ynnaD
Forum Legend
 
Posts: 6458
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 04 8:43 pm
Location: Ireland

Postby Psycho » Wed Sep 12, 12 5:31 pm

Huge cover-up
User avatar
Psycho
Forum Hero
 
Posts: 2601
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 04 11:00 am
Location: North Wales

Postby Mastakilla » Wed Sep 12, 12 6:03 pm

~þsÿçhø~ wrote:Huge cover-up


What a surprise eh?

Will there be steps taken towards legal action?
Last edited by Mastakilla on Wed Sep 12, 12 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When life gives you lemons... Squeeze them into your eyes and run across a busy intersection, faggot.
User avatar
Mastakilla
Forum Super Hero
 
Posts: 3634
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 05 7:47 pm

Postby James » Wed Sep 12, 12 9:15 pm

Labour are at least approaching The Sun with their DCP over these events and previous about Madeline McClain.
I am dead.
User avatar
James
Alpha
 
Posts: 28880
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 03 9:14 pm
Location: Home

Postby Kaiden » Thu Sep 13, 12 1:08 am

Are the reports of supposed apologizes tomorrow from the tabloid anything legitimate in your opinion?
------
Kaiden
Alpha
 
Posts: 6996
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 06 11:21 pm
Location: England

Postby James » Thu Sep 13, 12 7:48 am

We want an apology but we also want to shut down the rag.
I am dead.
User avatar
James
Alpha
 
Posts: 28880
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 03 9:14 pm
Location: Home

Postby James » Thu Sep 13, 12 10:50 am

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012 ... p-revealed

more important than some celebrity vs society thing
I am dead.
User avatar
James
Alpha
 
Posts: 28880
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 03 9:14 pm
Location: Home

Postby Siva » Thu Sep 13, 12 10:56 am

SUDDENLY

JUSTICE SHOWS UP

SUDDENLY

YOU WANT MORE JUSTICE
//..
User avatar
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people
 
Posts: 6756
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 05 4:56 pm

Postby James » Thu Sep 13, 12 11:35 am

Yes, we can't let people get away with it like the Celtic boys sex scandal or previous murder cover-ups in the past like Daniel Morgan's murder. I don't understand your disrespectful sarcasm when we have barely taken the first step into sorting this mess out.
I am dead.
User avatar
James
Alpha
 
Posts: 28880
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 03 9:14 pm
Location: Home

Postby Siva » Thu Sep 13, 12 1:41 pm

James wrote:Yes, we can't let people get away with it like the Celtic boys sex scandal or previous murder cover-ups in the past like Daniel Morgan's murder. I don't understand your disrespectful sarcasm when we have barely taken the first step into sorting this mess out.


I'm basically asking how deep you want it to go. Once it's been publicly sorted out and the truth has been admitted, beyond that point it's endless litigation. I get it, you've been wronged as have many in your city, but if you hold on to grudges then the victory becomes Pyrrhic.
//..
User avatar
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people
 
Posts: 6756
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 05 4:56 pm

Postby Mastakilla » Thu Sep 13, 12 1:59 pm

The report proved what Liverpool and especially the families knew all along, justice hasn't been done yet but with the report justice can hopefully be achieved. Don't think an apology from Cameron counts much for the families
When life gives you lemons... Squeeze them into your eyes and run across a busy intersection, faggot.
User avatar
Mastakilla
Forum Super Hero
 
Posts: 3634
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 05 7:47 pm

Postby Psycho » Thu Sep 13, 12 2:10 pm

Protocol wrote:SUDDENLY

JUSTICE SHOWS UP

SUDDENLY

YOU WANT MORE JUSTICE


They're far from justice.
User avatar
Psycho
Forum Hero
 
Posts: 2601
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 04 11:00 am
Location: North Wales

Postby James » Thu Sep 13, 12 2:21 pm

Protocol wrote:Once it's been publicly sorted out and the truth has been admitted, beyond that point it's endless litigation


lol

You do realise this is pretty much the biggest cover-up revealed in Britain?
Last edited by James on Thu Sep 13, 12 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am dead.
User avatar
James
Alpha
 
Posts: 28880
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 03 9:14 pm
Location: Home

Postby James » Fri Sep 14, 12 7:41 am

I am dead.
User avatar
James
Alpha
 
Posts: 28880
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 03 9:14 pm
Location: Home


Return to Rants & Debates

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yandex [Bot] and 3 guests
cron