Metal Categorization

Serious discussion about news, politics and whatever is on your mind.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Metal Categorization

Postby clyzm » Sat Dec 24, 05 9:31 pm

I'm getting awfully tired of people categorizing metal into many, many subsections. I mean, what is the point of it? To label some categories as extremely suckish? I've had it with these. I've had it with the emo category, the thrash and grindcore categorization, and most importantly, the goddamn nu-metal categorization. Nu-metal right now would be considered a perversion of the normal style of metal like Black Sabbath. If that is what you think, then every metal song is a twisted creation or a wannabe of Black Sabbath? Some metal bands don't even know Black Sabbath. I hate how someone listens to Black Sabbath, then listens to Slipknot, and says "This sounds different compared to Black Sabbath. IT IS NUMETAL!" I am getting quite aggrevated from all of this categorization. It is simply annoying, and it dubs nu-metal as extremely suckish. Nu-metal, through the eyes of a "true" metal fan, seems like a perversion of the regular metal. I tell you, if something, no, every metal song didn't sound like Black Sabbath, is that a fscking crime? What's wrong with these people who categorize bands because of the way they differ from Black Sabbath?

Nu-metal would be considered more poppy and different, a little more funky and the riffs would be considered that of hip hop. Now, critics have gone so far as to ridiculously label perfectly metal bands nu-metal. Take Disturbed, for example. Disturbed is a perfectly good metal band. However, critics have criticized how wrongfully they take their path to true metal. Is it because they don't sound like Black Sabbath? I think this is true. Disturbed have perfectly metal riffs, not at all referring to the hip-hop style. They have metal lyrics as well, not to mention metal vocals. And yet, criticizers continue to dub them "nu-metal". I am growing very tired of people making up categories like Nu-metal, Grindcore and Agrometal. I blame all the metal community for this. And I blame the people who listen to Black Sabbath and then think differently of other bands. If Black Sabbath was made in modern times, they would dub Black Sabbath "nu-metal", regardless of how they sound. If System of a Down was the parental metal band, then all things that sound different than System of a Down would be considered "nu-metal" or something even as crazy as grindcore, leading to even more ridiculous categories.

In my eyes, metal is metal. The media is right, like Winamp and Windows Media Player, about the categorization. The fans are wrong. They made this craze of categorization, and they deserve to get a whomp on the head for it. It causes many controversies, like labeling most bands different from normal metal. I think those fans should grow the hell up and just listen to fscking music and stop categorizing it. In my eyes, there are just two genres: Metal and Heavy Metal. That's how it was supposed to be. Until some crazy Black Sabbath fan started the categorization of falsely-labeled bands. I think some bands even destroy Black Sabbath in accordance to music.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby James » Sat Dec 24, 05 9:32 pm

Tbh, I think the people complaining should grow up more.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby clyzm » Sat Dec 24, 05 9:36 pm

~[A]LTKJAY~ wrote:Tbh, I think the people complaining should grow up more.

O RLY?

James, most metal criticisms are based on genre of the band. Take our debate on Rammstein, for example. You dubbed them as Industrial, I named them just metal. They are just metal, the media is right. If it wasn't for that one person who made some crazy categorizations, the whole music would be either metal or heavy metal. No nu-metal, no emo, no criticisms.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby James » Sat Dec 24, 05 9:38 pm

Atomsk wrote:

O RLY?

James, most metal criticisms are based on genre of the band. Take our debate on Rammstein, for example. You dubbed them as Industrial, I named them just metal. They are just metal, the media is right. If it wasn't for that one person who made some crazy categorizations, the whole music would be either metal or heavy metal. No nu-metal, no emo, no criticisms.

:roll:
You lot are annoying...this means the media classifies Blink 182 as metal.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby clyzm » Sat Dec 24, 05 9:39 pm

~[A]LTKJAY~ wrote:
Atomsk wrote:

O RLY?

:roll:
You lot are annoying...this means the media classifies Blink 182 as metal.

Well, you lot that make up the crazy fscker NUmetal and EMO categorization are annoying. It pisses me off that people argue over shite like this, grow up.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby James » Sat Dec 24, 05 9:42 pm

The funny thing iss, you lot get annoyied over genres, god...its not confussing at all and perfectly understandable.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby clyzm » Sat Dec 24, 05 9:43 pm

~[A]LTKJAY~ wrote:The funny thing iss, you lot get annoyied over genres, god...its not confussing at all and perfectly understandable.

O RLY?

Is this why mainly people argue over music?
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby James » Sat Dec 24, 05 9:45 pm

Course.
Just wikipedia.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby clyzm » Sat Dec 24, 05 9:48 pm

~[A]LTKJAY~ wrote:Course.
Just wikipedia.

I say that all metal bands should be called just METAL, not emo, etc

It's like classifying your plants

you just don't do it
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Wasted » Thu Dec 29, 05 8:31 pm

They should make a private Jay and atomsk rant box.
FFS
Wasted
Forum Hero

Postby ~Hy[ß]rid~ » Thu Dec 29, 05 10:36 pm

Atomsk wrote:
~[A]LTKJAY~ wrote:Course.
Just wikipedia.

I say that all metal bands should be called just METAL, not emo, etc

It's like classifying your plants

you just don't do it

Plants are classed. It's called families.
~`[EL]HýbriÐ`~

~Hy[ß]rid~
Master

Postby clyzm » Thu Dec 29, 05 10:40 pm

[quote="~[A]HÃœÃ?rïÃ
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Wasted » Thu Dec 29, 05 10:49 pm

As i say, Tis the season
FFS
Wasted
Forum Hero

Postby MrBlackDX » Fri Dec 30, 05 1:48 am

Steel is actually an alloy in basic terms, although considered as just tempered Iron, it is really an alloy of Iron and Carbon, although common carbon rates in Steel are low (between 0.2-2%)

Steel provides an increase in toughness over traditional Iron, and when combined with certain other metals can create other alloys

Oh wait this is about music "metal" right...
MrBlackDX
Nobel Peace Prize

Postby clyzm » Fri Dec 30, 05 1:56 am

MrBlack wrote:Steel is actually an alloy in basic terms, although considered as just tempered Iron, it is really an alloy of Iron and Carbon, although common carbon rates in Steel are low (between 0.2-2%)

Steel provides an increase in toughness over traditional Iron, and when combined with certain other metals can create other alloys

Steel should be a categorization in metal!

Imagine "nu-steel" or "heavy steel"
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Wasted » Fri Dec 30, 05 2:00 am

You remind me of me and klop
FFS
Wasted
Forum Hero

Postby clyzm » Fri Dec 30, 05 2:03 am

Wasted wrote:You remind me of me and klop

You remind me of Jay's "back'at'cha" pic.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Wasted » Fri Dec 30, 05 2:13 am

Why dont u keep that quiet eh? You trucker
FFS
Wasted
Forum Hero

Postby Geddiz™ » Fri Dec 30, 05 8:45 am

Atomsk wrote:
MrBlack wrote:Steel is actually an alloy in basic terms, although considered as just tempered Iron, it is really an alloy of Iron and Carbon, although common carbon rates in Steel are low (between 0.2-2%)

Steel should be a categorization in metal!

Imagine "nu-steel" or "heavy steel"

Tbh, Steel actually does sound like a sweet name for a music genre...

I don't like it when there's a massive number of subgenres, ( Example ) but some rough divisions of music styles is a good thing IMO, there's a big difference between Cradle Of Filth and Freedom Call, for example, but like I said, keep them rough and don't use them as set-in-stone rules because bands do sometimes get close to the boundaries and blur them.
Sh'up
Geddiz™
Elite

Return to Rants & Debates