Portal v1.0.1 [UPDATED]

Talk about any Deus Ex game modification here, e.g. maps, package or a total conversion.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Postby Big Daddy » Tue Apr 24, 07 7:19 pm

{DXC}haosReign wrote:well.... heres the deal.
yes your right.... BUT... i havea gun that does fire the portals... but where the projectile (rocket) lands, there is summoned a portal, and that portal acts just like any of the other portals.
So the gun is a summoner for the portals?
A CNN reporter, while interviewing a Marine Sniper, asked. "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist?"
The Marine shrugged and replied, "Recoil."
Sig by Protocol but I did help.....I gave him the render if that counts as something.
Big Daddy
Forum Hero

Postby Kaiden » Tue Apr 24, 07 7:22 pm

Lol.

You shoot the gun, it places a portal where it collides with the map. You can shoot more portals, and they create a network. You can also summon the portals at required locations I believe.

That better? :D
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby Ayleth » Tue Apr 24, 07 7:27 pm

took the words out of my mouth! EDIT: actually re: summoning... if you try to summon the portals via the summon command, and bAllowSummon has been disabled, the portal wont summon. But the PPG does have summoning projectiles that summon the portal directly where you are, reguardless of this settting.
Last edited by Ayleth on Tue Apr 24, 07 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
¨‘°ºMåsåmµñ£º°‘¨
˙•●●ĊђασsΪηcǻяйαѓε●●•˙
jason.unger@gmail.com
Ayleth
Regular

Postby Ayleth » Tue Apr 24, 07 7:33 pm

~[A]lex~ wrote:And NEVER place a foreach function in Tick(). NEVER.

Sorry alex, i hadn't seen your post. may i ask why not to do foreach in tick? That is where it is right now and i don't seem to have any problems related to it.

EDIT: Actually, the code that you commented on was in PreBeginPlay, but the projectile that removed portals with the modified GEP gun (lol i called it the PPG, Portal Projectile Gun) uses foreach in tick i believe. i believe there is no other way to do it unless you can prove me wrong.
¨‘°ºMåsåmµñ£º°‘¨
˙•●●ĊђασsΪηcǻяйαѓε●●•˙
jason.unger@gmail.com
Ayleth
Regular

Postby Alex » Tue Apr 24, 07 8:19 pm

{DXC}haosReign wrote:
~[A]lex~ wrote:And NEVER place a foreach function in Tick(). NEVER.

Sorry alex, i hadn't seen your post. may i ask why not to do foreach in tick? That is where it is right now and i don't seem to have any problems related to it.

EDIT: Actually, the code that you commented on was in PreBeginPlay, but the projectile that removed portals with the modified GEP gun (lol i called it the PPG, Portal Projectile Gun) uses foreach in tick i believe. i believe there is no other way to do it unless you can prove me wrong.

First of all, why the hell do you use foreach in a projectile?!

And second: It can cause iterator crashes.
Alex
Alpha

Postby Ayleth » Tue Apr 24, 07 8:33 pm

First of all alex, you gotta remember im just a newb coder, even if i involve myself in advanced areas. Second of all, i thought it actually would simplify the gun if i made the code in the projectiles. No funky overridden changeammo or toggle scope as in my previous admintool mod. The player switches ammo like usual and it does ecaxtly that. There are 3 types of ammo... one is launcher ammo.. that spawns a portal at the hitpoint via explode override, the seond spawns a portal as soon as it leave gun then destroys itself, the third removes any portal that it encounters based on radiusactors. I could not think of an easier way.
¨‘°ºMåsåmµñ£º°‘¨
˙•●●ĊђασsΪηcǻяйαѓε●●•˙
jason.unger@gmail.com
Ayleth
Regular

Postby Allan » Tue Apr 24, 07 9:32 pm

Why not, for the last projectile type, try messing with Explode in the Flying state. That way it's considerably less code, and lag. Only problem is, you need to aim in the area of the portal.

Code: Select all
state Flying
{
    function Explode(*whatever the code here is.*)
    {
        local Portal zomgportalz;
        // draw any effects
        foreach radiusactors(class'Portal',zomgportalz,blastRadius,location)
        {
            // However you wish to remove portals.
        }
    }
}
Allan
Alpha

Postby Ayleth » Tue Apr 24, 07 9:36 pm

Yes allan but you gotta remember, when it hits the portal it doesn't explode, thus it gets portaled.. also... it seems my "fix" using collision didn't really work. you still need to be close.
¨‘°ºMåsåmµñ£º°‘¨
˙•●●ĊђασsΪηcǻяйαѓε●●•˙
jason.unger@gmail.com
Ayleth
Regular

Postby Alex » Tue Apr 24, 07 9:39 pm

{DXC}haosReign wrote:Yes allan but you gotta remember, when it hits the portal it doesn't explode, thus it gets portaled.. also... it seems my "fix" using collision didn't really work. you still need to be close.

Make the portal check if the actor it is teleporting a delete rocket. If so --> Make it delete the rocket & portal. Easy, eh?
Alex
Alpha

Postby Ayleth » Tue Apr 24, 07 9:43 pm

The theory is right, and ive tried that but get this... Touch requires an actor right? Function Touch (Actor Other). So, if i do if(Other.IsA(class'PortalRemover'))... i get "Error, Call to 'isa': type mismatch in parameter 1". Any way to do this better?
¨‘°ºMåsåmµñ£º°‘¨
˙•●●ĊђασsΪηcǻяйαѓε●●•˙
jason.unger@gmail.com
Ayleth
Regular

Postby Alex » Tue Apr 24, 07 9:51 pm

{DXC}haosReign wrote:The theory is right, and ive tried that but get this... Touch requires an actor right? Function Touch (Actor Other). So, if i do if(Other.IsA(class'PortalRemover'))... i get "Error, Call to 'isa': type mismatch in parameter 1". Any way to do this better?

if(PortalRemover(Other) != None)
{
// The actor is a PortalRemover
}
Alex
Alpha

Postby Ayleth » Tue Apr 24, 07 9:56 pm

*lightbulb blinks on*

OK next problem. I found out that spawn's second call variable sets the owner of the spawned object. I had this idea that i could block summoning of the portals by
if (Owner==None)
Destroy();

and then set the owner when the gun spawns the Portal. This works except that when i summon the portal with summoning enabled (its a config bool var), the first summon accesses none, and the object won't summon. When i try again tho, it works. When the summoning is disabled there is no problem and all summons are blocked.

Code:

if ((Self.Owner!=None && !Controller.bAllowSummon) || controller.bAllowSummon)
    {
    //summon code for all the individual portal elements
    }
    else
    {
    //message to summoner about cant summon this item.
    destroy();
    }

as you can see, i have all the variables stored in a controller actor, and that actor has the config (file) in the definition. All settable vars are set in te controller.
¨‘°ºMåsåmµñ£º°‘¨
˙•●●ĊђασsΪηcǻяйαѓε●●•˙
jason.unger@gmail.com
Ayleth
Regular

Postby Ayleth » Fri Apr 27, 07 6:56 am

This is a Bump to refrsh the topic icon and hopefully catch some Eyes! This mod has been finally released after about two weeks of testing and crashing peoples connections! Thx to all who have put effort into this, direct or otherwise!

Please give some suggestions that could be included in the next release.

Current:
-Fix the Gun so it doesn't inf. recurse when it summons portals on walls (if tis is what is actually causing it :S the error is erratic)
-Make the gfx clientside?
-Better gfx?
-AutoSummoner that is Map dependant
-Code cleanups
-Possible gametype to make the prison command more efficient & add more commands?
¨‘°ºMåsåmµñ£º°‘¨
˙•●●ĊђασsΪηcǻяйαѓε●●•˙
jason.unger@gmail.com
Ayleth
Regular

Postby Alex » Fri Apr 27, 07 8:30 am

{DXC}haosReign wrote:Current:
-Fix the Gun so it doesn't inf. recurse when it summons portals on walls (if tis is what is actually causing it :S the error is erratic) You can see which function created the infinite recursion. Fix it yourself.
-Make the gfx clientside? Uhh, no?
-Better gfx? Good luck with that...
-AutoSummoner that is Map dependant Eh? Didn't you already do that?
-Code cleanups [b]Why clean it up? Just make it good from the beginning.

-Possible gametype to make the prison command more efficient & add more commands? You just don't make a new gametype for every mod... You want to make 1 gametype, for 1 new weapon? I doubt anyone will host the gametype. People prefer other gametype's, such as miniMTL210, SG-Game, DXAG, AlrightyGame, CRDBugFix more, since they offer more. Don't put effort in this part. It's all a waste.
Alex
Alpha

Postby Dae » Fri Apr 27, 07 10:51 am

Alex is right, don't involve new gametype classes unless it's really unavoidable.
Dae
Alpha

Postby Eçheløn » Fri Apr 27, 07 11:42 am

I love this mod :lol:
Eçheløn
Poster

Postby Ayleth » Fri Apr 27, 07 4:29 pm

~[A]lex~ wrote:You can see which function created the infinite recursion. Fix it yourself
Im a newb. Don't forget that. Just because i know where the recursion is located doesn't mean i know how to fix it.
-Make the gfx clientside? Uhh, no?why not? when theres more than 5 on a level the rings don't rotate cleanly, and both JimBowen and Nobody wished that i could get all the effects client side
-Better gfx? Good luck with that... agreeded, thanks for the encouragement
-AutoSummoner that is Map dependant. Eh? Didn't you already do that? yes i did but i failed in the first making due to the struct formation and other errors. i removed it from the package
-Code cleanups Why clean it up? Just make it good from the beginningalex, not everyone is a "perfect" coder llike "you" :roll: /sarcasm. don't expect me to be able to get it on the first try.
-Possible gametype to make the prison command more efficient & add more commands? You just don't make a new gametype for every mod... You want to make 1 gametype, for 1 new weapon? I doubt anyone will host the gametype. People prefer other gametype's, such as miniMTL210, SG-Game, DXAG, AlrightyGame, CRDBugFix more, since they offer more. Don't put effort in this part. It's all a waste. input noted

~Eçheløn~ wrote:I love this mod :lol:

Thanks! And many thanks for testing! Im glad a few people try to encourage others in their ideas and coding. :wink:
¨‘°ºMåsåmµñ£º°‘¨
˙•●●ĊђασsΪηcǻяйαѓε●●•˙
jason.unger@gmail.com
Ayleth
Regular

Postby Ayleth » Sun Apr 29, 07 8:46 pm

{UPDATE}
-Fixed a major bug in the teleport code that involved servercrashes when a player entered the portal. Portalgun has been reinstated because of this.
-Added a51spawner, to automatically spawn the portals on the a51 level. new update to come on this asap.
-More mutator commands for integration with the spawner and to add portals to the map.
¨‘°ºMåsåmµñ£º°‘¨
˙•●●ĊђασsΪηcǻяйαѓε●●•˙
jason.unger@gmail.com
Ayleth
Regular

Postby Imperial » Sun Apr 29, 07 8:46 pm

good work ChaosReign
I sell donuts, if you want my donuts, give me a call.

DONUTS
Imperial
Forum Hero

Postby Ayleth » Mon May 07, 07 12:10 am

:P Thanks Imp. I really value input to my works, however unused they may be.
¨‘°ºMåsåmµñ£º°‘¨
˙•●●ĊђασsΪηcǻяйαѓε●●•˙
jason.unger@gmail.com
Ayleth
Regular

Postby Ayleth » Sat May 12, 07 2:58 am

This Version, and subsequently this thread, will be outdated within a few days, as i am completely rewriting the core of the mod to simplify updates and additions to the mod. Items such as the Gun will be a seperate mod or not redone at all due to non-nessecity. The end result shal be pretty much the same, but run faster and smoother, with a hopefully smaller footprint. Please request any ideas now before v2 is released.
¨‘°ºMåsåmµñ£º°‘¨
˙•●●ĊђασsΪηcǻяйαѓε●●•˙
jason.unger@gmail.com
Ayleth
Regular

Postby Raiiiny » Thu Oct 04, 07 3:17 pm

you should make it
like this portal spawning gun from hl2
that someone made

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEGRAORCNYA
Our greatest glory
is not in never falling, but in rising