Deus Ex: Arx Genus (DXAG)

Talk about any Deus Ex game modification here, e.g. maps, package or a total conversion.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Deus Ex: Arx Genus (DXAG)

Postby MrBlackDX » Thu Sep 04, 08 9:47 pm

As you may or may not know, I originally designed DXAG, with implementation help from Alex, Nobody, Dae and good mappers from Max and Mainboy

Although essentially the activity for DXAG updates is dead, I'm aware that servers for it are still now and then put up

I will be posting any news or updates for DXAG here

For now there is one new thing currently in dev for DXAG, but don't get your hopes up

My girlfriend has just graduated from her University course, in effort to beef up her portfolio and get some recognition, she is setting up a commission based art portfolio

People will be able to request pictures off her for a price, the standard charge is around 25 pounds sterling per request, you may think that might be steep, but that includes any concept sketching, 3 views of the character, and a finish piece of artwork with the character in its environment

Because I love my baby DXAG, I've asked her for each character class to be drawn in this fashion (7 classes - 175 quid), that may seem a lot of money to invest, but she owes me money anyway, (always get students to owe you money, then they are in your pocket)

When the first commision is done, I will be posting it up here!
Last edited by MrBlackDX on Thu Sep 04, 08 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrBlackDX
Nobel Peace Prize

Postby Spiderbot01 » Thu Sep 04, 08 9:48 pm

Surely she should do it out of love.
<center>------</center><center>
Image</center>
<center>Image</center><
Spiderbot01
Alpha

Postby MrBlackDX » Thu Sep 04, 08 9:49 pm

Yeah I've tried that one as well, trust me, because Sci-fi doesn't really interest her, it's hard to get stuff like this as a freebie off her
MrBlackDX
Nobel Peace Prize

Postby James » Thu Sep 04, 08 10:49 pm

Just been talking to Ben about my private plans for DXAG I spent a little time on, but gave up after making significant progress because of the community being empty. I haven't mentioned this to anyone but Alex and Ben, so I reveal to you my hidden plans.

DXAG as you may know is based off Enemy Territory and Team Fortress, so when I found tom tallian's low poly character classes I screamed with joy at the very thought of revamping DXAG to emulate TF2's (at the time) balanced standards. First thing I did was rip from the actual TF2 then scale all textures to size by stealing from the original game's textures so they aren't low quality. I decided that even then the models would be too short for Deus Ex but then I realized this can only add to my advantage of the eventual map design I dreamed for, because I don't particularly like the idea of classic DXAG being TDM.

So eventually I got the models in game without animation but most importantly to my advance I made a working Flamethrower!! :D Although it was basic as fuck I was right proud of myself because I had NO prior experience in modeling ... despite it being from programs and tutorials handed by yourselves, thanks for the countless posts I used on and off-site especially Derek's. Anyway a problem came which would of taken a lot of time, which would of been the final thing before coding: animating. Now this is a major problem for me, because it's different to convert and texturing a model rather than animating a model, which I have no idea how to do it! That's when I decided to give it up before I spent too much time learning because no one would play the mod.

My future plans were to:
    Animate 1 character, The Engineer because his TF2 model is animated most similar to Deus Ex classes. Use him as the base
    Animate all characters
    Animate all weapons in both views
    Code medi-gun beam
    Get someone to help me with making each class working, due to different animations
    Balance weapons, code any if needed and make classes to use different health and speed systems.
    Compile
    Alpha test; small 3v3 game to check if everything is okay
    Develop "ubercharge" interface for the medic
    Code the ubercharge
    Code the sentries, using the turret models and AI
    Code dispenser
    Code deployable teleporters, possibly using SG coding if Nobody was feeling up my request
    Develop "metal" and "build/demolish" interface for engineer
    Model 3 sentry stages
    Code the sentry to upgrade after 200 metal each time
    Compile
    Alpha test; 3 v 3 game with engineer tests
    Compile everything to finish the actual DXAG mod.
    Build a new MultiDX
    Alpha test; 5v5 game with edited standard Deus Ex maps to test new build of MultiDX to be used in new DXAG.
    Map cp_dustbowl, ctf_2fort, cp_gravelpit
    Beta test; 9v9 game on all 3 maps
    Ask tom tallian for permission
    Ask Valve for (fan project) permission
    Ask Ben and all those credited for DXAG for permission (PMSL)
    Release

I honestly could of had that all done with help, I doubt it would of taken too long at all seeing as everything is generally there.

Sorry for those fans of TF, ET and especially DXAG if I hyped this a little, it is never coming out and please do not convince me. Like I said earlier no one would of played it to work enough, it requires 9v9.
Last edited by James on Thu Sep 04, 08 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby clyzm » Fri Sep 05, 08 3:33 am

8)

Would've been a great mod, a new change from the weapons mod that have been coming out recently. I dread at the sight of character animation :oops:
Last edited by clyzm on Fri Sep 05, 08 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Allan » Fri Sep 05, 08 4:56 am

cataclyzm wrote:I dread at the sight of character animation :oops:

It's your worst nightmare x5. Weapon Triangle, rate of animation affecting speed of walking, firing anims for both standard weapon hold types... :shock:
Allan
Alpha

Postby Psycho » Fri Sep 05, 08 7:50 am

Woah, that would of been an amazing mod. Back when dae used to host DXAG, I would play aginst other people everyday, until one day I waited no one came, and day after and day after etc.
Psycho
Forum Hero

Postby MrBlackDX » Fri Oct 03, 08 4:00 pm

Just as a note, after searching youtube I found these two vids;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56aWDqvxCPw

And

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4VHiyoc1vE

They are both very cool, I commented on both to say it was nice that they put DXAG up on the tube.

If anyone else has vids of DXAG on youtube, I really would want to see them

:D
MrBlackDX
Nobel Peace Prize

Postby Psycho » Tue Oct 07, 08 7:45 pm

CUTE :P
Psycho
Forum Hero

Return to Modifications