How to raise the dead - Another DXAG topic

Talk about any Deus Ex game modification here, e.g. maps, package or a total conversion.

Moderator: Forum Guards

How to raise the dead - Another DXAG topic

Postby MrBlackDX » Mon Nov 10, 08 2:24 am

Hi all

If you have been playing DXMP recently, you may have encounted the very bad upload server "DXAG Server"

Thanks to yours truely, I have put up a dedicated server from my pc, 16 slot, with the following maps;

Code: Select all
Smuggler
Area51
Zan-Goh
Landerneau
Breakout
Blockade
Elania

And *drum roll* DXAG_UNATCO

DXAG_UNATCO is a re-edit of the Unatco HQ map from SP

Team A starts at the island entrance, whereas Team B starts at the MJ12 entrance

I have fiddled with the doors and movers of the map, it now has the following features;

Engineer only rooms (spawn points for eng's only, to have sole access to the turret controls for anti spawnkill)

2 hidden caches of 20mm, again you need both a stealth AND engineer to access, if you see a combat strength aug picture you know your close

TNT crate rooms, the crates are modded to only be carryable by engineer's micro muscle, however its inadvisable for a team to destroy the cache of crates, unless it is an enemies cache

Emphasised spawn rooms, not only do the spawn rooms contain the aug pictures to represent the classes, but also character models which are a close resemblence to those classes, here are the models;

Anna Navarre - Stealth
Mechanic - Engineer
Doctor - Medic
Marine/Soldier - Soldier
Smuggler - Sniper (crap I know, so any suggestions on a better sniper character model)
Secret Service - Civilian or N/A

Yes, Civilian

The civilian is a semi-new class which I will start introducing to the maps, I say semi-new because I didn't use the AG code to create him, (I don't know how, what a noob)

The civ starts off with no weapons, however, this therefore allows him to pick up weapons, making him a customizable class

In the UNATCO map, the civ starts off with a baton near him, with help from other classes, he can obtain better weapons, or even a GEP gun/Plasma rifle

That's right, with enough assistance, he can obtain the two heaviest weapons of the game, making him essentially the most powerful class

Of course it takes some real intuition to figure out how to unlock the rooms containing these weps, again you will need an engineer and stealth

His symbol is the ying/yang face aug, i think in SP its the enemy/friendly targetting passive aug

If you find that picture, you know you are close

Of course the civ has another good factor, without weapon slots he can pick up any food that is lying around, poor health restoration i know, but restoration none the less

I will be releasing the maps i use for the server at some point probably tomorow, i will need to re-edit the following maps for bugs anyway;

area51 for the ladder bug and also introduce 20mm
smuggler, add biocells and maybe 20mm
elania, fix the ammo crate bug

And unatco for its bugs so far, which are no switches on pick/keypad doors to let you out and fix the tnt crates so only eng can pick them up

Finally I will be renaming the server;

"God From Team Fortress"

If anyone can give me a symbol I can put at the beggining to get it near the top of teh server list that would be nice, although another server with that stupid y thing is just asking for nochanc style noobishness
MrBlackDX
Nobel Peace Prize

Postby clyzm » Mon Nov 10, 08 2:38 am

How about the Chinese soldier for the Sniper?

I remember a sniper in Tonnochi Road with that skin.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby MrBlackDX » Mon Nov 10, 08 2:51 am

cataclyzm wrote:How about the Chinese soldier for the Sniper?

I remember a sniper in Tonnochi Road with that skin.

Yarr thats a good idea
MrBlackDX
Nobel Peace Prize

Postby Kaiden » Mon Nov 10, 08 4:41 pm

Sounds awesome. :)
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby {A.a]starcraft » Mon Nov 10, 08 4:44 pm

start the baton duels
{A.a]starcraft
Wannabe

Postby MrBlackDX » Mon Nov 10, 08 6:34 pm

Ok I currently have 3 maps completed which contain the civ class and have all of the known bugs ironed out

Area51
Elania
Unatco

I have mostly converted Zan-Goh, however after hosting it I noticed an ammo crate bug which I will need to fix

The 4 other maps currently being hosted are;

Breakout
Blockade
Smuggler
Landerneau

Breakout needs some serious work, the rest are ok but all need some updating

This first package is the ArxGenus.u, a texture for elania, and Area51, Elania and Unatco maps

The servers up, so go have some fun
Attachments
AGMaps1.rar
(2.16 MiB) Downloaded 627 times
Last edited by MrBlackDX on Mon Nov 10, 08 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrBlackDX
Nobel Peace Prize

Postby MrBlackDX » Tue Nov 11, 08 2:18 am

Here is what will be a near final version of a DXAG guide

It includes most of the necessary information for installation and play, but if anyone can read through and tell me anything I'm missing that would be great

Deus Ex: Arx Genus Guide/FAQ

--------------------------------

Contents;

1 - Installation
   Client
   Server
2 - About
   What is DXAG?
   Different Classes
   Hints and Tips
3 - FAQ
4 - Contacts

Installation for Client

To install Arx Genus, download the .rar file and extract it using WinRAR

Extract ArxGenus.u to your deusex/system folder
Extract any maps (.dx files) to your deusex/maps folder
And any textures (.utx files) to your deusex/textures folder

Voila, DXAG has now been installed on your PC, join a server, and if you have any version mismatches, make sure you have the latest update of either the arxgenus.u file or map file

Installation for Server

The simplest way to install DXAG for play is to use a server starter .bat file which is included in the .rar file

To do that follow these instructions;

Extract the above client documents into the relevant folders

Extract the DXAG_Server_Starter.bat file into your deusex/system folder

Make sure you have MTL version 152b1 installed (not sure if it works with later versions)

I will include the MTL files in the .rar file

Start the server starter by double clicking it, you will recieve a command prompt saying "starting deus ex server with arx genus..." and in your icon tray (lower right of windows screen) a DX icon will show saying you have started a Dedicated server

The easiest way to check that it is now fully up, is if you go onto DXMP and check if a DXAG server is up, if it isn't, you may have a problem with either MTL or ports (if you have a router/firewall)

---Router Solution---

To open the DXMP ports, click start>run and type "cmd", then in the command prompt type "ipconfig"

Find the IP address of your "Default Gateway" and type it into an explorer window (IE, Firefox, Opera etc...)

You should now have access to your router, you may need to enter a login, usually its either both the login name and password are blank, or your login is "login - "admin" and password is blank

If it isn't, someone has most likely changed these settings

Depending on your router, you will need to find a TCP/UDP port allow section, and allow the following ports in UDP - (7790 - 7792), (8777) and (27900)

This should allow you to now host a DXMP/AG server

---End Solution---

Right click on your dedicated server and close it

Now go to your deusex/system folder and find a file called your DeusEx.ini file, you can now customise the following sections to optimise DXAG and your server;

[Engine.GameInfo]
AdminPassword=
MaxPlayers=

[Engine.GameReplicationInfo]
ServerName=
AdminName=
AdminEmail=

(My message of the day lines;)
MOTDLine1=If you are new, pick either Engineer or Medic
MOTDLine2=The spydrone symbol (Eye with wings)
MOTDLine3=Or the regeneration symbol (Cross in circle)
MOTDLine4=This is a team modification, so help your team!

[DeusEx.DeusExMPGame]
SkillsAvail=
SkillsPerKill=
MPSkillStartLevel=

(Advise for skills that you either have it as the following 3 recommendations;)

SkillsAvail=0
SkillsPerKill=0
MPSkillStartLevel=4

SkillsAvail=1000
SkillsPerKill=1000
MPSkillStartLevel=3

SkillsAvail=2000
SkillsPerKill=2000
MPSkillStartLevel=2

(The AUG settings MUST be set to zero)

InitialAugs=0
AugsPerKill=0

[DeusEx.dxmaplist]

(You must enter what maps you are using in this section, for them to be active in your loop)

Maps[0]=DXAG_UNATCOAG
Maps[1]=DXAG_Zan-GohAG
Maps[2]=DXAG_Breakout
Maps[3]=DXAG_Blockade
Maps[4]=DXAG_Landerneau
Maps[5]=DXAG_Area51BunkerAG
Maps[6]=DXAG_ElaniaAG
Maps[7]=DXAG_Smuggler

(Loop)

CycleType=2

Once those changes have been made, enjoy your server

If you need any more config help with the DeusEx.ini, give me a shout on my below contact

About - What is DXAG?

DXAG stands for (D)eus (E)x: (A)rx (G)enus (Rough translation of Arx Genus - Team Fortress)

The mod is a team based class/character mod, where you choose your class/character from a different range

DXAG is heavily based off the works of Team Fortress for Quake 2, Halflife 1&2. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and Battlefield 1942 or 2

The objective is to defeat the other team, not by just combat (such as DXMP) but also teamwork through utilising each classes unique attributes

Different Classes

Currently there are 5 main classes and one semi-class, these are;

Soldier - Armed with an assault rifle and pistol, the soldier dominates the close to medium range battlefield. He also has the Vision aug, to detect cloaked Stealth Operatives

Sniper - The sniper, has a sniper rifle, to dominate long - extreme ranges of combat. He also has the aggresive defense aug for defense against heavier explosive weapons, such as 20mm or rockets

Medic - The medic has a pepper spray customised to fire a healing gas, which heals nearby teammates. He can also dominate water locations with his Aqualung and Crossbow

Engineer - The engineer is the backbone of the team, the only class capable of utilising multitools, which in turn access ammo crates, biocells and turret controls for defense. He also can use the Microfibral Muscle to lift heavy crates and make barricades.

Stealth Operative - The stealth operative is the closest thing to a lone wolf, capable of sneaking behind enemy lines with the Cloak aug and dealing quick and deadly kills with his array of weapons. Many sections of the map are sealed by Lockpick only doors and vents, the stealth can utilise these areas, as well as allow teammates through for ambushes or even greater secrets.

Civilian - The civilian is a completely different class, starting with no weapons, he can find weapons of his own making him customisable. He starts with only the Light aug. This class may be deemed useless by many, but with correct teamwork, the civilian has access to the most powerful of weapons availible in Deus Ex.

Hints and Tips

If you are new to this mod, pick a class you think attributes your style of play. The engineer and medic are good classes to begin with, because they are always useful.

Always communicate, when you enter check the teams for balance, and ask your team what class they would like you to be, if they want you to be a soldier, you may get something very good for it!

If you are a medic, stay with the majority of your team, and stay near the back or middle, and not out front. If you die, they will not have a medic, but if they get hurt, you can heal them and keep them alive.

Always make sure your team has 1 engineer, this means the team always has access to ammo, and if any annoying turrets are controlled by the enemy, you can take them back.

If you are a stealth, you are either very good with the Cloak/Run augs or you are not. If you are not, stick with your team, and help them with your lockpicks, you can open up alternate routes and also extra equipment in certain cases.

Check the teams with the scoreboard, you can also see what classes the enemy team is using. If they are using stealth's, you could go soldier and neutralise the threat with your vision aug.

Only pick Civ class if you know what you are doing and you have other classes on the team (mainly stealth or engineer).

Each map has secret equipment, obtainable from either the stealths lockpick, the engineers multitool, or a combination of both, this equipment includes;

Flare Darts - Medic or Civ with crossbow
20mm - Soldiers or Civ with Assault Rifle
Pistols/Rifles for the Civ
EMP/GAS/LAM's
Plasma Rifle for Civ
GEP Gun for Civ
LAW Rocket Launcher for Civ

I won't detail the exact locations or what stuff is on each map, but you could either explore the levels, or play with someone who knows these locations themselves. If you see a piece of equipment in a cabinet or behind a window, 100% of the time its not for decoration.

Most maps with highlight key points with class specific icons, spydrone symbols for engineers, combat strength for soldiers or the IFF (two face) aug for Civ's, if you see this icon, you are close to unlocking this equipment

FAQ

Q - When I try to join a server, it says "version mismatch"
A - You could either download the latest files, or delete the old offending file and download off the server, although its always best to get the updated files yourself

Q - Help! I've joined, but I don't start with any weapons! What do I do!?!
A - You are in the class/character selection spawning area. You pick a class via their symbols, which are also emphasised by character models

Q - What are the symbols/models for each class?
A - Ok;

Soldier - Combat Strength Aug (Fist surrounded by a wavy line) and the marine soldier model
Sniper - Targetting Aug (Crosshair circle) and the hong kong militia model
Medic - Regeneration Aug (Circle with cross in the middle) and the doctor model
Engineer - Spydrone Aug (Eye with wings) and the mechanic model
Stealth Ops - Cloak/Radar Trans Aug (Figure of a man) and the Anna Navarre model
Civilian - IFF Aug (Twoface or Ying/Yang face) and the Secret Service (Blue suit) model

Q - I went through a class teleporter and it sent me straight back out to the spawnpoint!?!
A - It's just a glitch from lag/teleport, just try again

Q - The turret near our base keeps firing at us, half the team can't get through!
A - Your team needs an engineer. If the engineer cannot access the turret controls, protect him and use EMP grenades against the offending turret

Q - I just unloaded my assault rifle in 2 seconds, now I have no ammo, this mod is crap!
A - Again you need the highly useful engineer. If you are having problems with ammo in this mod, swallow your pride, pick the engineer yourself, and you should have near unlimited ammo!

Q - My legs were blown off and my torso is filled with holes, I'm walking slower than a high tortoise and the next thing to hit me, even if it's Alex Jacobson's razor-like wit, will be the end of me, where the hell are the meds!
A - Meds were removed from all classes bar the medic, your team needs a medic to keep all of the other team mates in high health

Q - No-one wanted to be a medic, so I picked it myself, but I was cornered by 7 soldiers and when I went to get them with my pepper spray they all laughed and took their time to kill me, why did it not affect them!?!
A - It did... it healed them. The pepper spray has been brilliantly modded to now heal people instead, it is a medics only tool for healing teammates. Don't use it against the enemy!

Q - I picked the stealth op's guy, after activating all my augs and lost all my energy. Where can I get some more biocells or energy?
A - Some maps allow the stealth to access the occasional biocell, other maps you will need an engineer to access various locales for team mates to regain energy or obtain new cells.

Q - OMG STELF HAX INFANAT NIVES LOZL
A - Yeah, a knife glitch, abuse it to hell because it kindof gives the stealth a little more balance in the ammo department

Q - So I went as a stealth operative, as you do, and I'm not terribly good the combat side wot wot. Any other uses for this jolly good class?
A - If you don't want to go solo as a stealth, help your team out by opening "lockpick only" doors or other surfaces

Q - :( Does this game have cheats, cos' the opposite team had a soldier with grenade rounds in his gun. And then after that some guy came up with a plasma rifle, seriously, WTF?
A - Read the above on "secret equipment", the opposite team got this overpowered equipment by clever use of teamwork, have at least one engineer and one stealth, and then either a soldier or civilian, or preferably both. With the right COMMUNICATION, you could get these high-end weapons for your team, and then be able to dominate!

Q - How can I make new maps for this mod? Or can I make new guns or coding or stuff?
A - Contact me ASAP on the below email address, or also via MSN on the same address.

Contacts

Mod Designer -    Ben "MrBlack" Quinn
      Email/MSN - "bristol_ben@hotmail.com"
      Local internets dive - "www.dxalpha.com"

Other people involved in this mod -    Alex, Nobody, Daedalus and everyone who I haven't mentioned
               Their contacts are for their discretion to hand out, but you can contact most of them via PM on the "www.dxalpha.com" forum

Server/Technical issues -    Again, the "www.dxalpha.com" forum is a great resource for help, if you don't speak very good english, make sure you are as clear as you             can be, and listen to their suggestions for help. And ignore the tards/trolls ¬_¬
Attachments
DXAGGuideFAQ.rar
(5.67 KiB) Downloaded 667 times
Last edited by MrBlackDX on Tue Nov 11, 08 2:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
MrBlackDX
Nobel Peace Prize

Postby Cozmo » Wed Nov 12, 08 6:18 pm

Nice work! :shock:

I've got to try this; going on DX now!

Edit: Where is it? :(
Last edited by Cozmo on Wed Nov 12, 08 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cozmo
Master

Postby Spiderbot01 » Wed Nov 12, 08 7:59 pm

Wheres the map I made for it :(
<center>------</center><center>
Image</center>
<center>Image</center><
Spiderbot01
Alpha

Postby Bear » Wed Nov 12, 08 8:54 pm

Is this server connected to that DXMP Master server too?
Bear
Addict

Postby clyzm » Wed Nov 12, 08 10:38 pm

Nice work Ben :)
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby MrBlackDX » Thu Nov 13, 08 1:40 am

Sorry guys it hasn't been up for this evening cos' I was playing Sven, my bad

I'll put it up all day tomorow

And Max I have no idea where your map is... I may have lost it when my machine and my dads machines were upgraded and re-formatted
MrBlackDX
Nobel Peace Prize

Postby clyzm » Thu Nov 13, 08 3:42 am

Ben do you need any help with modeling etc. ?
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby MrBlackDX » Fri Nov 14, 08 1:39 pm

cataclyzm wrote:Ben do you need any help with modeling etc. ?

Yes

Except I have two coding problems, one problem is how to code the guns, and the other is how to integrate that code into the mod

My DXAG server will be up all weekend, please use and abuse it :D
MrBlackDX
Nobel Peace Prize

Postby Psycho » Fri Nov 14, 08 6:19 pm

I LOVE YOU MRBLACK. MY BEST GAME TYPE EVER btw.
Psycho
Forum Hero

Postby Psycho » Fri Nov 14, 08 6:24 pm

And the code to get it at the top of the list is Alt + 0255 (Numpad) Which is ÿ
Psycho
Forum Hero

Postby Cozmo » Fri Nov 14, 08 9:29 pm

"You are now part of }{SDH}{. Welcome to the clan."

LMAO!
Cozmo_RPG (v1 & v2)
MPConversations - A tool for creating multiplayer RPG stuff
Cozmo
Master

Postby clyzm » Fri Nov 14, 08 11:14 pm

MrBlack wrote:
cataclyzm wrote:Ben do you need any help with modeling etc. ?

Yes

Except I have two coding problems, one problem is how to code the guns, and the other is how to integrate that code into the mod

My DXAG server will be up all weekend, please use and abuse it :D

Fire away, G
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Allan » Fri Nov 28, 08 11:26 am

MrBlack wrote:
cataclyzm wrote:Except I have two coding problems, one problem is how to code the guns, and the other is how to integrate that code into the mod

*is listening*

I may not post much, but I'm still able to help w/ coding. Somewhat.
Allan
Alpha

Postby MrBlackDX » Thu Mar 26, 09 2:00 pm

Yes yes yes, I know, I'm supposed to be gone, didn't stop James did it? :P

I have made a proposal to TNM here

I appreciate that considering my actions of when I left, something like this may NOT be favourable, but regardless I think this is an excellent idea [/ego] and would appreciate any support

No I'm not returning to the community, TNM however has attracted me over the past weeks, so if you want to chat I'll be on the OTP forums

Gracias
MrBlackDX
Nobel Peace Prize

Postby Alex » Thu Mar 26, 09 2:07 pm

Highly doubt TNM will convert their mod to MP.

You want to know why? It's a pain in the ass to convert a LOT of things to MP due to replication. Windows, functions, basically, everything. Will take them another year or so, just to convert things.
Alex
Alpha

Postby MainMan » Thu Mar 26, 09 4:47 pm

Sorry, I don't see the link between DXAG and TNM, or even TNM and mutliplayer. I think i killed about 10 people in my whole first playthrough of TNM; that doesn't really bear any resemblance to DXAG or DXMP strategy. I don't think that even TNM with a TNM-based MMCity wouldn't work, let alone a "combat" gametype.

... And what Alex said too.

No offence, but I don't think you understand what it's like, seeing as you didn't even make "your" mod.
Last edited by MainMan on Thu Mar 26, 09 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MainMan
<i>Tru' Playa' Fer Defs</i>

Postby James » Thu Mar 26, 09 5:21 pm

BEN.

Sorry, I don't see the link between DXAG and TNM, or even TNM and mutliplayer. I think i killed about 10 people in my whole first playthrough of TNM; that doesn't really bear any resemblance to DXAG or DXMP strategy. I don't think that even TNM with a TNM-based MMCity wouldn't work, let alone a "combat" gametype.

Nor does Ben.

By integrating TNM and AG, TNM would therefore have a unique and enjoyable multiplayer functionality, which would make use of some good features of TNM (especially the new weapons/items).

Ben is only interested and sure that it'll work.

No offence, but I don't think you understand what it's like, seeing as you didn't even make "your" mod.

But this was completely uncalled for, I'm not even going to let him retort to this so I'll post this:
Prehaps the same could be said of most game development teams. I mean, look at World of Warcraft.

But ultimately:
It's a pain in the ass
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Tonnochi » Thu Mar 26, 09 11:02 pm

Most of MainMan's posts seem uncalled for, or end that way at least. Seems like he comes by with good intentions and exits whispering "ban me".
Tonnochi
Forum Hero

Postby MainMan » Fri Mar 27, 09 12:24 am

There's nothing wrong with saying that I disagree with him. And that part was referring to the discussion on the otp.dk forums, so save it.
Last edited by MainMan on Fri Mar 27, 09 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
MainMan
<i>Tru' Playa' Fer Defs</i>

Postby Tonnochi » Wed Apr 08, 09 8:49 pm

I was referring to your posts in general. I still love you for MMCity, but most of the time you post you're just trying to be a cock.
Last edited by Tonnochi on Wed Apr 08, 09 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tonnochi
Forum Hero

Return to Modifications