Team health gauge idea

Talk about any Deus Ex game modification here, e.g. maps, package or a total conversion.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Team health gauge idea

Postby MrBlackDX » Thu Apr 19, 07 7:11 pm

Could it be possible to create a gauge in the HUD which gives information on other team mates health?

Or maybe a function activated with a key/bind?
MrBlackDX
Nobel Peace Prize

Postby Kaiden » Thu Apr 19, 07 7:12 pm

Sounds cool, but who would create such a thing? :?
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby Dae » Thu Apr 19, 07 7:16 pm

It's not hard, but the way of implementing depends on how much freedom do we have. In other words, is it supposed to be added in DXAG (moar freedom) or just in any gametype in DXMP (less freedom)?
Dae
Alpha

Re: Team health gauge idea

Postby Alex » Thu Apr 19, 07 7:27 pm

MrBlack wrote:Could it be possible to create a gauge in the HUD which gives information on other team mates health?

Use targetting.
Alex
Alpha

Postby Allan » Thu Apr 19, 07 7:34 pm

From my experience, Targeting is quite inaccurate. It takes one health value, and places it as the value for them all. Or works out the mean average, one or the other.

But yeah, the thing in Targeting seems to suck ass for me.
Allan
Alpha

Postby Alex » Thu Apr 19, 07 7:35 pm

[A]llan wrote:From my experience, Targeting is quite inaccurate. It takes one health value, and places it as the value for them all. Or works out the mean average, one or the other.

But yeah, the thing in Targeting seems to suck ass for me.

It still is information about the player's health.
Alex
Alpha

Postby Kaiden » Thu Apr 19, 07 7:39 pm

~[A]lex~ wrote:
MrBlack wrote:Could it be possible to create a gauge in the HUD which gives information on other team mates health?

Use targetting.

Maybe, he means use the health display targetting gives, and have it permenantly placed at the top of the screen displaying health for those on your team? But what if there are 20 on your team.. Won't your screen get kinda flooded? ^_^. Unless you restrict it too 3/5 or something.. but then you would need some sort of choosing menu too. :/.
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby MrBlackDX » Thu Apr 19, 07 7:52 pm

~[A]Kaiden~ wrote:
~[A]lex~ wrote:

Use targetting.

Maybe, he means use the health display targetting gives, and have it permenantly placed at the top of the screen displaying health for those on your team? But what if there are 20 on your team.. Won't your screen get kinda flooded? ^_^. Unless you restrict it too 3/5 or something.. but then you would need some sort of choosing menu too. :/.

aka the activating by using a key/bind

and although the use on dxag would be immense, on DXMP in general it would still be useful
MrBlackDX
Nobel Peace Prize

Postby Cereal » Thu Apr 19, 07 9:11 pm

I believe, and I could be wrong on this, but I believe Lionheart used the targetting aug to display the health of nearby players on the side of the screen, be it enemies OR friendly. So it's possible. I haven't talked to him in forever though.
What?
Cereal
Regular

Postby synthetic » Fri Apr 20, 07 9:42 am

targeting is a bs of a reply, and I saw such mod few days ago in action in public server. Color of the health bar was black instead of red and it also showed when enemy moved behind walls sort of, which gave it FEAR-like effect.
[TSS][¥]{¥+EoD}{RF}{MoH}[G][NEM][UE][N]{U}[REN][BM][FGS][THC][:¤:]
synthetic
Forum Hero

Postby Zantinzuken » Fri Apr 20, 07 10:39 am

Good idea Ben. It would certainly help the team aspect of the game, I'd like to see it done.

Something like a hud (similar to weapons) or even just names with a percentage beside them. :)
Zantinzuken
NINNY BOYYYYY

Postby MrBlackDX » Sun Apr 22, 07 9:57 pm

Or even teamplayers names on one side/in score list with different colours to give a different health status;

Green - 75%+

Yellow - 50-75

Orange 25-50

Red 0-25
MrBlackDX
Nobel Peace Prize

Postby synthetic » Sun Apr 22, 07 10:13 pm

the fact that i saw such mod in action some days ago claims no notice what so ever :D

Indeed it wasnt quite what you plan here, with all the gui ideas.
synthetic
Forum Hero

Postby MrBlackDX » Sun Apr 22, 07 10:22 pm

[REN]UNDEAD wrote:the fact that i saw such mod in action some days ago claims no notice what so ever :D

Indeed it wasnt quite what you plan here, with all the gui ideas.

can you elaborate on the actual functioning of it?
MrBlackDX
Nobel Peace Prize

Postby Mastakilla » Mon Apr 23, 07 3:35 pm

MrBlack wrote:Or even teamplayers names on one side/in score list with different colours to give a different health status;

Green - 75%+

Yellow - 50-75

Orange 25-50

Red 0-25

What if you're colour blind? :lol:
When life gives you lemons... Squeeze them into your eyes and run across a busy intersection, faggot.
Mastakilla
Forum Super Hero

Postby Zantinzuken » Mon Apr 23, 07 4:07 pm

For colour blind people:

Green - 75%+

Yellow - 50-75

Orange 25-50

Red 0-25

ps. if you're colour blind, kill yourself.

\:D/
Zantinzuken
NINNY BOYYYYY

Postby Alex » Mon Apr 23, 07 4:13 pm

Zantinzuken wrote:For colour blind people:

Green - 75%+

Yellow - 50-75

Orange 25-50

Red 0-25

ps. if you're colour blind, kill yourself.

\:D/

Yea, you're right. There aren't colour blind people in Deus Ex anyways, I think =/
Alex
Alpha

Postby Zantinzuken » Mon Apr 23, 07 4:14 pm

I'm actually slightly colourblind and could eventually go colourblind when I'm older as it's in the family...delicious irony :oops:

But I did notice it anyway Alex, I noticed ;)
Zantinzuken
NINNY BOYYYYY

Postby Ayleth » Fri Apr 27, 07 7:31 am

could you just attach an actor to the players and have like a scripted texture floating above the player as a sprite? Im sure that could be done. If allans imtyping mod could read/write to the player without a new gametype/playerclass, this should be no problem. mind you, then there would be the text above all players, unless you made the gfx clientside and then did a teamcheck. Then again, would the scripted txtr be possible? Ive heard that someone made a clock scripted texture for dx. i cannot remember where tho :(

EDIT:: Ahh Found it: it was a post by smuggler on the DXEditing forums
http://www.dxediting.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185&page=2
¨‘°ºMåsåmµñ£º°‘¨
˙•●●ĊђασsΪηcǻяйαѓε●●•˙
jason.unger@gmail.com
Ayleth
Regular

Postby Alex » Fri Apr 27, 07 8:26 am

{DXC}haosReign wrote:could you just attach an actor to the players and have like a scripted texture floating above the player as a sprite? Im sure that could be done. If allans imtyping mod could read/write to the player without a new gametype/playerclass, this should be no problem. mind you, then there would be the text above all players, unless you made the gfx clientside and then did a teamcheck. Then again, would the scripted txtr be possible? Ive heard that someone made a clock scripted texture for dx. i cannot remember where tho :(

EDIT:: Ahh Found it: it was a post by smuggler on the DXEditing forums
http://www.dxediting.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185&page=2

First of all. Adding a texture floating in front of you --> Bad. It will look ugly, and you will not be able to read from it. Secondly, some people have set their texture details to low. They cannot see the textures, such as sprites, wall textures, 100%, as in, they can't read them, but they can read the HUD. Third, the clock is a texture placed on the wall. You can't just place it on an actor.

MrBlack, I'll take a look at it some time. I know how to do it, and for me it's quite easy. If you could just fully type out what you want, then I will try. I won't react in the next few days, going on vacation.
Alex
Alpha

Postby synthetic » Mon Apr 30, 07 1:47 pm

Does anyone know who made that health mod (functional or not, probably not)? Because I liked the FEAR aspect of it.

How about creating a mod that would show where your teammates are, so you can easily assist them as you see enemy move to their position.

In quake 3 there was some HUD mod for it, and Imo it looked ugly.
Having floating textures running along with the players is easy to get used to however, especially as your goal is NOT to hit them.

What I have in mind is small symbol, two different types for 2 sides. They will not have to read anything from it.

Point would be that this symbol shows through walls, indefinitely or until certain distance. I thought Id just add this here as that health mod I saw and mentioned sort of did the trick.
synthetic
Forum Hero

Postby Cozmo » Tue May 01, 07 5:12 pm

A scripted texture wouldn't be bad. If it was just a green bar that could go down, even on low detail it would be recognizable. :)

I'm making it! :x
Cozmo_RPG (v1 & v2)
MPConversations - A tool for creating multiplayer RPG stuff
Cozmo
Master

Postby Professor Layton » Tue May 01, 07 6:31 pm

Question is how it would look on very low detail >_<
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby Allan » Tue May 01, 07 8:00 pm

~Cozmo~ wrote:A scripted texture wouldn't be bad. If it was just a green bar that could go down, even on low detail it would be recognizable. :)

I'm making it! :x
I've got something like it working on a text-only window so far.

Only problem is, for reasons beyond my knowledge, the window causes immense FPS dropout. You can go from 60 to 20 instantly, and eventually as low as 6! :O
Allan
Alpha

Postby Big Daddy » Tue May 01, 07 8:23 pm

ZOMG!! What could make it so slow?!
A CNN reporter, while interviewing a Marine Sniper, asked. "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist?"
The Marine shrugged and replied, "Recoil."
Sig by Protocol but I did help.....I gave him the render if that counts as something.
Big Daddy
Forum Hero

Postby Allan » Tue May 01, 07 8:50 pm

I've sorted it now. Just moved from PostDrawWindow to Tick. God only knows what its problem was... :S

Now, to the annoying issue of making it realise i'm pressing buttons! *flies off to try and fix*
Allan
Alpha

Postby Cozmo » Tue May 01, 07 8:55 pm

[A]llan wrote:I've sorted it now. Just moved from PostDrawWindow to Tick. God only knows what its problem was... :S

Now, to the annoying issue of making it realise i'm pressing buttons! *flies off to try and fix*

I'm making it!

:(
Cozmo_RPG (v1 & v2)
MPConversations - A tool for creating multiplayer RPG stuff
Cozmo
Master

Postby Allan » Tue May 01, 07 10:12 pm

Care to share ideas? :)
Allan
Alpha

Postby KillerZ » Tue May 01, 07 10:51 pm

An option to use a MedKit on a nearby teammember with health below 50%