Portal v1.0.1 [UPDATED]

Talk about any Deus Ex game modification here, e.g. maps, package or a total conversion.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Portal v1.0.1 [UPDATED]

Postby Ayleth » Fri Apr 20, 07 7:20 pm

From a post in bowens forum, i got the idea to do a random portal system... no it doesn't randomly port you aroiund the map, but it does choose a different portal at random and tele you there.

Here are some screenies of the current version:

The Portal in all its simple glory:
Three rings now rotate around the event horizon:

The poprtals are deactivated for 2 seconds after you go thru so that you don't accidently back into them again. Also, this is how an exit portal looks like:

There are now entrance and exit portals. The exit portal looks liek above and here is the entrance portal:

And finally, theres a prison a la DXSG:

the gun has been disabled for now due to a major server error it caused.
Enjoy!

thx go to Nobody [EDIT: and Bowen] and all the various testers ive lagged with this thing in the development.
Attachments
Portalv1.0.1.zip
Portal v1.0.1
(24.61 KiB) Downloaded 645 times
Last edited by Ayleth on Sun Apr 29, 07 8:47 pm, edited 12 times in total.
¨‘°ºMåsåmµñ£º°‘¨
˙•●●ĊђασsΪηcǻяйαѓε●●•˙
jason.unger@gmail.com
Ayleth
Regular

Postby Kaiden » Fri Apr 20, 07 7:54 pm

Nice, I remember that hehe. You gonna release a version to the public sometime? :D
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby Ayleth » Fri Apr 20, 07 8:28 pm

hoping to as soon as we smooth out some bugs. Talking with both Nobody and bowen atm about this.
¨‘°ºMåsåmµñ£º°‘¨
˙•●●ĊђασsΪηcǻяйαѓε●●•˙
jason.unger@gmail.com
Ayleth
Regular

Postby Kaiden » Sat Apr 21, 07 4:24 pm

Ah, they both specalise in Telportation.. Talk to Allan as-well though, his Tele-gun is great. :D
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby Allan » Sat Apr 21, 07 6:28 pm

Hello? You wish to talk of the finer points of Teleportation? :P
Allan
Alpha

Postby Big Daddy » Sat Apr 21, 07 9:41 pm

It's mods like this that give me back faith in dated Deus Ex.
A CNN reporter, while interviewing a Marine Sniper, asked. "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist?"
The Marine shrugged and replied, "Recoil."
Sig by Protocol but I did help.....I gave him the render if that counts as something.
Big Daddy
Forum Hero

Postby Ayleth » Sun Apr 22, 07 10:17 pm

±MC Chedda'± wrote:It's mods like this that give me back faith in dated Deus Ex.

Chedda you just made my day. Allan, you can have the source... very ingenious design i believe. gimme a shout on MSN when you want it.
This mod is going further than i expected. I am making so you can't summon them, but only use them via a summon actor i will make or the included portalgun! :P this of course can be disabled.

Allan, or others, i have a bit of a problem tho... i don't wnat the portals to summon too close to another, and i tried to make a script to check via radiusactors to delete the summoned portal if too close but it doens't work? heres the code:

Code: Select all
   // spozed to be a check on closeness of other portals but doesn't work :(
    foreach radiusactors(class'Portal',checkcloseness,30)
    {                             //theres a bug somehow that inf recursion occurs when a
        log("hello");
        foreach radiusactors(class'deusexplayer',Player,60)   //player enters a portal that is very close to another
        {
            player.ClientMessage("Unable to create a new portal in this location.");
            player.clientmessage("Another portal is too close.");
        }
        Destroy();
    }

Any ideas? the Hello is to see if the script is being executed and it DOES show up in log. Also, i have to protect from detecting self i believe too :P

To the DX public: any ideas you wish to see in this mod? Am currently thinking of a way to make it so projectiles, lams etc go thru too. To coders, I am using Touch to tele the player, so not sure how to incorperate this.

*updated screenshot*
Last edited by Ayleth on Mon Apr 23, 07 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
¨‘°ºMåsåmµñ£º°‘¨
˙•●●ĊђασsΪηcǻяйαѓε●●•˙
jason.unger@gmail.com
Ayleth
Regular

Postby KillerZ » Sun Apr 22, 07 11:01 pm

Masamune, that would be awesome, perhaps you can also implement the projectiles being able to go through normal teleporters, which will come in use for a stargate. I plan on making a map like that.

Hehe, but Not very many people will wish to play it. Thats the only thing I frown upon
KillerZ
Poster

Postby Kaiden » Sun Apr 22, 07 11:56 pm

If there is an SG server (Proper one) one day and it's hosted there, I'm sure people would play it! ^_^.
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby Ayleth » Mon Apr 23, 07 1:10 am

well, it seems that projectiles are already supported. I have successfully put the summon block in there, buth the thing with the projectiles is that you must aim dead centre, and close up to do it. but it works. Im gunna try to change the collision radius and height.

EDIT: ok so the collision stuff worked. Projectiles are now teled from a distance and when fired inaccurately. I need to prevent one bug that is caused when the portals are summoned too close to another, then i will release this verson as v1.
¨‘°ºMåsåmµñ£º°‘¨
˙•●●ĊђασsΪηcǻяйαѓε●●•˙
jason.unger@gmail.com
Ayleth
Regular

Postby Ayleth » Mon Apr 23, 07 1:33 am

Sorry for dblpost.
Coding guys, i could really appreciate yur help here with the closeness detector.

here is some code that appears to detect another portal that is not itself nearby, although its really hacky...

foreach radiusactors(class'Portal',checkcloseness,60)
        {                             //theres a bug somehow that inf recursion occurs when a
            if (checkcloseness.location!=self.Location)
            {
                log("found");
                selfdestroy=true;
            }
        }
        if (selfdestroy)
        self.destroy();

unfortunatly self.destroy does nothing?? also i tried to do a forall radiusactors on deusexplayers to notify why the portal did not spawn, but no message was given? ugh... will add a log to the radius actors to see if a player is actiually found.

EDIT:: ok this is weird... the player is standing right in front of the portal but apparently radiusactors returns no actors?? Heres the code:

foreach radiusactors(class'deusexplayer',player,30,self.location)
            {
                log("found");
            }

seems pretty straightforward to me. :S
¨‘°ºMåsåmµñ£º°‘¨
˙•●●ĊђασsΪηcǻяйαѓε●●•˙
jason.unger@gmail.com
Ayleth
Regular

Postby Allan » Mon Apr 23, 07 4:23 am

30 U-Units is nearly nothing. The player itself is 22 in raduis. So if your portal has a collision radius of 8 or more, that check's dead in the water.
Allan
Alpha

Postby Ayleth » Mon Apr 23, 07 5:15 am

hmmm, my portal now has col rad of 30 to support projectiles easier. so... like... wait no... hmm 30+22=52... so 60 to be sure?
¨‘°ºMåsåmµñ£º°‘¨
˙•●●ĊђασsΪηcǻяйαѓε●●•˙
jason.unger@gmail.com
Ayleth
Regular

Postby Alex » Mon Apr 23, 07 6:43 am

And NEVER place a foreach function in Tick(). NEVER.
Alex
Alpha

Postby Big Daddy » Mon Apr 23, 07 6:47 pm

{DXC}haosReign wrote:
±MC Chedda'± wrote:It's mods like this that give me back faith in dated Deus Ex.

Chedda you just made my day. Allan, you can have the source... very ingenious design i believe. gimme a shout on MSN when you want it.
This mod is going further than i expected. I am making so you can't summon them, but only use them via a summon actor i will make or the included portalgun! :P this of course can be disabled.

Allan, or others, i have a bit of a problem tho... i don't wnat the portals to summon too close to another, and i tried to make a script to check via radiusactors to delete the summoned portal if too close but it doens't work? heres the code:

// spozed to be a check on closeness of other portals but doesn't work :(
    foreach radiusactors(class'Portal',checkcloseness,30)
        log("hello");
        foreach radiusactors(class'deusexplayer',Player,60)   //player enters a portal that is very close to another
        {
            player.ClientMessage("Unable to create a new portal in this location.");
            player.clientmessage("Another portal is too close.");
        }
        Destroy();
    }

Any ideas? the Hello is to see if the script is being executed and it DOES show up in log. Also, i have to protect from detecting self i believe too :P

To the DX public: any ideas you wish to see in this mod? Am currently thinking of a way to make it so projectiles, lams etc go thru too. To coders, I am using Touch to tele the player, so not sure how to incorperate this.

*updated screenshot*
Will it have its own unique sound when fired?
A CNN reporter, while interviewing a Marine Sniper, asked. "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist?"
Sig by Protocol but I did help.....I gave him the render if that counts as something.
Big Daddy
Forum Hero

Postby Ayleth » Tue Apr 24, 07 2:04 am

as in will there be a sound when you pass through the portal? yes, but is configurable to disable it if wanted. Also, im thinking of removing the disabled text and crossout, and just making the rings go red when disabled. Very easy to do.
¨‘°ºMåsåmµñ£º°‘¨
˙•●●ĊђασsΪηcǻяйαѓε●●•˙
jason.unger@gmail.com
Ayleth
Regular

Postby KillerZ » Tue Apr 24, 07 2:36 am

Make some special effect happen when a person goes through

Like pulsate another SpawnShield to grow ans fade away, but noticable. :P

I like cool effects, and I am sure other people would like some too hehe
KillerZ
Poster

Postby Ayleth » Tue Apr 24, 07 3:22 am

well ive been thinking about that... but heres the thing... more effects means more lag. Mind you JimBowen and i had 349 portals on a level before the server crashed, but that crash was not due to the numbers of portals, but a bug i need to work on as per above. I may try spawnshield or another interesting one. we'll see.
¨‘°ºMåsåmµñ£º°‘¨
˙•●●ĊђασsΪηcǻяйαѓε●●•˙
jason.unger@gmail.com
Ayleth
Regular

Postby Ayleth » Tue Apr 24, 07 3:26 am

±MC Chedda'± wrote:Will it have its own unique sound when fired?

Please note this is not a gun based portal. There IS a gun involved but thats just a tool to spawn the portals. I may add more features to the Gun, IE something akin to the portal mode on Allans telegun, but for the most part, the portals are objects that stand there in space waiting for someone to walk into their event horizon, then BAM!

... also... allan, do you still have the source for said gun? if not, may i rip source from mod? I believe i have an unprotected ver here on my comp.
¨‘°ºMåsåmµñ£º°‘¨
˙•●●ĊђασsΪηcǻяйαѓε●●•˙
jason.unger@gmail.com
Ayleth
Regular

Postby The RZA » Tue Apr 24, 07 3:54 am

i saw it on ur server, and it looked tight y0.

God Made Dirt, and Dirt Will Bust Yo' Ass!
The RZA
Alpha

Postby Ayleth » Tue Apr 24, 07 4:17 am

LOL thanks. Its still in dev tho, but as soon as this bug gets fixed, i'll release it and work on the next release. Any ideas are appreciated but please don't be angry if i don't use your idea.
¨‘°ºMåsåmµñ£º°‘¨
˙•●●ĊђασsΪηcǻяйαѓε●●•˙
jason.unger@gmail.com
Ayleth
Regular

Postby The RZA » Tue Apr 24, 07 4:18 am

does the person find portals and set them up, or are they just in certain areas of the map? :?

God Made Dirt, and Dirt Will Bust Yo' Ass!
The RZA
Alpha

Postby Ayleth » Tue Apr 24, 07 4:31 am

well as it currently is... the admin summons them, and if there are 2 the player teles from one to the other... if there are more than 2 the effect is randomised.
¨‘°ºMåsåmµñ£º°‘¨
˙•●●ĊђασsΪηcǻяйαѓε●●•˙
jason.unger@gmail.com
Ayleth
Regular

Postby Allan » Tue Apr 24, 07 4:35 pm

Sure! I still have the AllanTeleporter source. (Although it's now called AlphaTeleporter. I was planning to launch it as an [A] mod.)
Allan
Alpha

Postby Ayleth » Tue Apr 24, 07 4:47 pm

Can ya pm me it ploz? Thx! You like the lil present i gave you? :twisted:

*updated screenies*
¨‘°ºMåsåmµñ£º°‘¨
˙•●●ĊђασsΪηcǻяйαѓε●●•˙
jason.unger@gmail.com
Ayleth
Regular

Postby Ayleth » Tue Apr 24, 07 5:13 pm

ok it seems i have more bugs than i thought. I fix one and another pops up :) allan, i could really use your help on this. Or nobody. Or Bowen. :P
¨‘°ºMåsåmµñ£º°‘¨
˙•●●ĊђασsΪηcǻяйαѓε●●•˙
jason.unger@gmail.com
Ayleth
Regular

Postby Big Daddy » Tue Apr 24, 07 5:43 pm

Ahh, so it is used as a tool.
Big Daddy
Forum Hero

Postby Ayleth » Tue Apr 24, 07 5:45 pm

Huh? um, no.. these are standalone objects. You summon them and then a player walks into them to tele to another area. Or am i misunderstanding? Basically these are teleporters but are summonable ingame and have more gfx and features. almost same idea as the SG mod as well, but that mod is not summonable to any workable degree.
¨‘°ºMåsåmµñ£º°‘¨
˙•●●ĊђασsΪηcǻяйαѓε●●•˙
jason.unger@gmail.com
Ayleth
Regular

Postby Big Daddy » Tue Apr 24, 07 5:55 pm

Ohhhhh!!! I understand now. They are an actor in-game and not fired from a gun.......yet.
Big Daddy
Forum Hero

Postby Ayleth » Tue Apr 24, 07 6:49 pm

well.... heres the deal.
yes your right.... BUT... i havea gun that does fire the portals... but where the projectile (rocket) lands, there is summoned a portal, and that portal acts just like any of the other portals.
¨‘°ºMåsåmµñ£º°‘¨
˙•●●ĊђασsΪηcǻяйαѓε●●•˙
jason.unger@gmail.com
Ayleth
Regular

Next

Return to Modifications