Playing this game today in modern systems

Discussion about the sequel by Ion Storm.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Playing this game today in modern systems

Postby Notorious_BOG » Fri Jan 28, 22 4:20 am

I can't run the game on windows 10 (steam). So the only solution I found was to run it on ubuntu. It's one of those wierd things where it works everywhere else but windows.
Notorious_BOG

Re: Playing this game today in modern systems

Postby ynnaD » Sat Feb 05, 22 3:06 am

Anyone else had issues running this? Was thinking about streaming it soon, i'm on Windows 11.
~þsÿçhø~ wrote:My laptops screen is broke, how can i fix it?

James wrote:THROW DARK SOULS AT IT
ynnaD
Forum Legend

Postby Notorious_BOG » Fri Feb 11, 22 5:39 am

I literally can't get it to run on windows for the life of me. I can only get it to run on linux... Proton on steam makes it possible. I tried looking everywhere
Notorious_BOG

Postby Grayfox » Mon Feb 28, 22 5:32 am

This game runs fine on Debian other then the bar in Germany where you meet Tong.

This games like someone had everything you needed to make a amazing hit and just totally dropped the ball on it.

I wish they would have fixed the lightnings interaction with transparent reflective surfaces. Water and marble flooring was traded for better lighting and nobody fixed the bug that broke both.
Grayfox
Wannabe

Postby Kaiden » Sun Mar 06, 22 3:04 am

I don't think I have the game installed but I've always backed up the DeusEx folder and seemingly can launch the game fine without using the wizard.

On my laptop running is very odd, I tend to take 2 steps forward then kind of lag backwards. If I recall I forced the OpenGL render no idea if makes a difference. It simply wasn't designed for the modern technology we use I guess. For those still clinging to DXMP you hear of ridiculous bugs and exploits that've appeared just due to this (i.e. firing tied to framerate). You'll find similar issues with i.e. Dungeon Keeper 2 where the devs never considered needing more than 800x600 lol.

Grayfox wrote:This game runs fine on Debian other then the bar in Germany where you meet Tong.

This games like someone had everything you needed to make a amazing hit and just totally dropped the ball on it.

I wish they would have fixed the lightnings interaction with transparent reflective surfaces. Water and marble flooring was traded for better lighting and nobody fixed the bug that broke both.

Bear in mind this was 2000 and it was successful for the time, the CD was literally full. They've addressed it in interviews etc, I don't think they could have done much more at the time.
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby ynnaD » Thu Apr 27, 23 8:41 pm

Finished this a few weeks ago, considering DX1 was literally my childhood, this was my first ever completed run on IW, and sadly probably my last, that wasn't fun.
~þsÿçhø~ wrote:My laptops screen is broke, how can i fix it?

James wrote:THROW DARK SOULS AT IT
ynnaD
Forum Legend

Postby Kaiden » Thu Jun 01, 23 6:03 pm

I think I'd struggle to go back and play either game before DXHR, they haven't really aged well have they.
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby James » Sun Jun 04, 23 1:49 pm

The original game has aged less than DXHR imo, the 3rd game's sprint alone makes that game a chore. The original DX thrives on just good game design overall.

ynnaD wrote:Finished this a few weeks ago, considering DX1 was literally my childhood, this was my first ever completed run on IW, and sadly probably my last, that wasn't fun.

The small areas reallllly don't do DXIW any favours.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Kaiden » Mon Jun 05, 23 10:44 pm

Well was thinking more technically than story etc, although did enjoy DXHR a lot. Last time I booted DX1 it was mostly unplayable and I could barely move around without taking 2 steps backwards for whatever reason. The graphics were average for the time let alone now which I think I'd struggle to get over. Wonder if it'll be one of those games that has a remaster like FF7 or D2 one day.
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby r2dsf » Wed Oct 04, 23 6:00 pm

Steam version for Windows works fine.
Tested on Win10 and Win11 systems.
r2dsf

Return to Deus Ex: Invisible War