Do you guys want this program?

The forum for discussions that don't fall into any of release topics below.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Do you want a server list program that runs independent from DX?

Yes
86%
No
14%

Total votes : 29

Do you guys want this program?

Postby kBo » Fri Aug 04, 06 2:05 am

So I'm planning on making my first official alpha release, but I need opinions from you guys.

I'm planning to make a program that lists info for servers (ping, map, gametype, players and their names, etc) just like DX does. However, it's going to be completely independent from the game, so you don't have to start up DX to see who's online and playing. This saves time if there's nowhere you want to play. Think the Steam "Servers" window.

So anyways, my question is, do you guys want this tool? It requires that I do a fair amount of reverse-engineering (definitely doable but tedious) to be able to call the functions for validation of the DX server info handshake.
"Phreaking doesn't exist. It's an abstract concept that is blindly supported by the collective consciousness of a flakey subculture. You saw nothing."
kBo
Master

Postby Allan » Fri Aug 04, 06 3:44 am

Well, it's an idea where you have a slight bit of competition(Yahoo:A.S.E.), however a free DX specialized one will definately be a plus =D
Allan
Alpha

Postby MainMan » Fri Aug 04, 06 8:36 am

If it loads quickly (say, as quick as MS Paint for example) then yeah, because if it takes more than a few seconds then you might aswell load up DX...
<center>ty m7
</center>
MainMan
<i>Tru' Playa' Fer Defs</i>

Postby kBo » Fri Aug 04, 06 12:20 pm

...I just said that the whole point of the program was that it would be faster than DX.
"Phreaking doesn't exist. It's an abstract concept that is blindly supported by the collective consciousness of a flakey subculture. You saw nothing."
kBo
Master

Postby MainMan » Fri Aug 04, 06 12:21 pm

[A]kBo wrote:...I just said that the whole point of the program was that it would be faster than DX.

Yeah I know, I was just trying to be more specific - I mean if there's not much difference in speed then there's not much point. :roll:

(I voted yes anyway :))
Last edited by MainMan on Fri Aug 04, 06 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<center>ty m7
</center>
MainMan
<i>Tru' Playa' Fer Defs</i>

Postby Krieg » Fri Aug 04, 06 12:35 pm

yesss , would be great
-Elitist-
Krieg
Forum Super Hero

Re: Do you guys want this program?

Postby DarkKnight » Sat Aug 05, 06 4:17 pm

[A]kBo wrote:So I'm planning on making my first official alpha release, but I need opinions from you guys.

I'm planning to make a program that lists info for servers (ping, map, gametype, players and their names, etc) just like DX does. However, it's going to be completely independent from the game, so you don't have to start up DX to see who's online and playing. This saves time if there's nowhere you want to play. Think the Steam "Servers" window.

So anyways, my question is, do you guys want this tool? It requires that I do a fair amount of reverse-engineering (definitely doable but tedious) to be able to call the functions for validation of the DX server info handshake.

I have some insight I wish to share...

1. You live in USA, iirc, where it is illegal to decompile any of DX if the user agreement denies it. (Check the user agreement. Blizzard has already proven this in court.)

2. Even if it was permitted by the user agreement, you would only be entitled to decompile to if no other viable option is open to you. Has the unreal team made public the network protocol? (Or at least the parts you need?)

3. If you're sure you have all the legal bases covered, and you start work on this, I ask you to use GTK, or at least ceperate the GUI so that a person (like my self perhaps) could later rewrite it for GTK. (If you're like me, and prefer C++ to C, GTK--(gtkmm) does the trick.)

4. What further development do you see for this project?

I'm all for it btw. =]
I'm a lover, that's why I do this posting.
I don't need the forum,
I do it to save you ignorant bastards from your self.
DarkKnight
Forum Super Hero

Postby Zantinzuken » Sat Aug 05, 06 4:20 pm

They have something similar on Gamespy, however 'tis mighty slow...

I'm all for it if it's fast!
Zantinzuken
NINNY BOYYYYY

Postby Alistair » Sat Aug 05, 06 4:31 pm

It better be CLI kenny :P
Alistair
Forum Hero

Postby Cozmo » Sat Aug 05, 06 4:36 pm

Yeah the "All seeing eye sucks..." :lol: This would help me alot, instead of loading DX and finding the only server with people is GODZServer or some other shitty server then i would of wasted my time loading.
Cozmo_RPG (v1 & v2)
MPConversations - A tool for creating multiplayer RPG stuff
Cozmo
Master

Postby kBo » Sat Aug 05, 06 4:38 pm

DarkKnight wrote:
[A]kBo wrote:So I'm planning on making my first official alpha release, but I need opinions from you guys.

I have some insight I wish to share...

1. You live in USA, iirc, where it is illegal to decompile any of DX if the user agreement denies it. (Check the user agreement. Blizzard has already proven this in court.)

2. Even if it was permitted by the user agreement, you would only be entitled to decompile to if no other viable option is open to you. Has the unreal team made public the network protocol? (Or at least the parts you need?)

3. If you're sure you have all the legal bases covered, and you start work on this, I ask you to use GTK, or at least ceperate the GUI so that a person (like my self perhaps) could later rewrite it for GTK. (If you're like me, and prefer C++ to C, GTK--(gtkmm) does the trick.)

4. What further development do you see for this project?

I'm all for it btw. =]

Actually, I found the headers on TheSheep's website, so no reversing is required. As for the GUI vs. CLI issue, I'll definitely publish the base code as CLI under a GNU liscence or something of the sort and publish the GUI code seperately.
kBo
Master

Postby Alistair » Sat Aug 05, 06 5:26 pm

Some programs like Anjuta allow the program to be auto-built with GNU licence or whatever you want to use.
Alistair
Forum Hero

Postby DarkKnight » Sun Aug 06, 06 10:46 am

[A]kBo wrote:Actually, I found the headers on TheSheep's website, so no reversing is required. As for the GUI vs. CLI issue, I'll definitely publish the base code as CLI under a GNU liscence or something of the sort and publish the GUI code seperately.

Could you PM me them?

Edit: If you could also PM me the source when you finish it, I'd be more then happy to make a basic GUI in GTK. :)
I don't need the forum,
DarkKnight
Forum Super Hero

Postby Rödewijk » Mon Aug 07, 06 11:46 pm

sound terrible unless u make it as msn addon beside's who do ever look at this kind of programs if no one is ever playing in them ?
Rödewijk
Master

Postby ICE » Tue Aug 08, 06 6:10 pm

Awww I was thinking of making one for firefox.
ЛЕДImage
The recent message was not spam but was a topic warmer and the message was copyrighted for eternity!Im in czech at the moe.
ICE
Poster

Postby DarkKnight » Wed Aug 09, 06 1:46 am

smookie wrote:sound terrible unless u make it as msn addon beside's who do ever look at this kind of programs if no one is ever playing in them ?

You have a small mind.
I don't need the forum,
DarkKnight
Forum Super Hero

Postby kBo » Sun Aug 13, 06 1:08 am

DarkKnight wrote:
smookie wrote:sound terrible unless u make it as msn addon beside's who do ever look at this kind of programs if no one is ever playing in them ?

You have a small mind.

And horrible grammers to boot. :)

Ask Darren for the link to the headers, I forget where they were.
kBo
Master

Postby Action Bastard » Thu Nov 02, 06 12:36 am

Ever heard of Xfire?
Action Bastard

Postby clyzm » Thu Nov 02, 06 12:37 am

Vince wrote:Ever heard of Xfire?

Ever heard of a big cup of STFU?

I hear it's really popular now.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Imperial » Thu Nov 02, 06 12:38 am

I see you have, reaper :)
I sell donuts, if you want my donuts, give me a call.

DONUTS
Imperial
Forum Hero

Postby Siva » Sat Nov 18, 06 11:07 pm

[A] LoL cLyZm wrote:
Vince wrote:Ever heard of Xfire?

Ever heard of a big cup of STFU?

I hear it's really popular now.

ACTUALLY, I HAVE.

And number B) Since when has legal stopped the internet?
//..
Siva
doesn't care about augmented people

Postby clyzm » Sat Nov 18, 06 11:18 pm

Prodigy, seriously, stop with the pics.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Gishank » Sun Nov 19, 06 9:18 am

ICE wrote:Awww I was thinking of making one for firefox.

Ice, you can't make one for firefox... :-/

Mainly because you know only of flash....
Gishank
Forum Super Hero

Postby Dae » Sun Nov 19, 06 9:30 am

Topic locked.
Dae
Alpha

Return to Comments, questions, requests