So, what's with this?

The forum for discussions that don't fall into any of release topics below.

Moderator: Forum Guards

So, what's with this?

Postby Ayleth » Sat Aug 05, 06 10:24 am

Ok, i go to ask for ideas from Alex, reguarding a UP3 revisit, and what the hell? he tells me out right that i can't edit or host the revisit. C'mon you guys! you left the map open to be edited! It's been edited so many times, from what I hear! When I did host the beta before, people loved it, even made more suggestions to be added!!! Way to discourage a new mapper!!! Way to kill creativity!!! Ask for support and what do I get? StoneWalled! I even offered to give the final to you guys, and still you turn me down!!! LOL, go ahead, ban me from the forum! And I even posted a reply to a topic that asked for a revisit (albeit that it was an old topic, but it still counts) and you guys said NOTHING ABOUT IT! WTF? like, are we selfish about our maps here or what? last thing i have to do with this forum!!!
Pah!
*spits on ground*
Ayleth
Regular

Postby Legion » Sat Aug 05, 06 10:28 am

I've seen diffrent versions of the FunLine maps... so dude, I would just go ahead.. it's stupid to target you just because your server says US on it...... If somebody did that to me i would tell them to fuck themselves.. but that's as far into this as i'm going :D
Legion
Regular

Postby Ayleth » Sat Aug 05, 06 10:32 am

LOL, i may just do that out of spite!!! This really has me mad! Im new to mapping goddamit! the leat they can do is support me in another map, or something! Cmon now! Man alive, it's like they have their own clique or something, and don't want any others in! Dammit!
Ayleth
Regular

Postby Alex » Sat Aug 05, 06 10:32 am

RivalMenace, this topic here is even more immature then I thought you were. Yes, there are edits. But no, they are not allowed by us. When someone asks if they may make an edit, the answer is: "Yes, but you are not allowed to host it". FunLine is our project, thought by us, made by us. Make your own map, from scratch. You have no right telling us that we are unfair whatsoever, we made the map, we may decide if we allow you to edit it or not.
Alex
Alpha

Postby Legion » Sat Aug 05, 06 10:38 am

~[A]lex~ wrote:RivalMenace, this topic here is even more immature then I thought you were. Yes, there are edits. But no, they are not allowed by us. When someone asks if they may make an edit, the answer is: "Yes, but you are not allowed to host it". FunLine is our project, thought by us, made by us. Make your own map, from scratch. You have no right telling us that we are unfair whatsoever, we made the map, we may decide if we allow you to edit it or not.

If you want to get tecnical, in reality you can't really stop him. I don't mean to be a thorn, but the fact is you don't have copywrites on any of the maps. Therefore legally Rival you can alter the map, you can legally host the map, and they can't stop you. But, Don't claim it as yours...... That isn't morally correct and is disrespectful to the one who made it. Making your own map is a good idea, but learning off of somebody else's isn't a bad idea either.. I think A should at least let this one slide, and stop being so self rightous about it.. it's not like he's claiming it. he's still giving you guys the credit as the original makers.
Legion
Regular

Postby Ayleth » Sat Aug 05, 06 10:40 am

Ha, i wasn't p;lanning on naming it mine... i wsa gonna leave the author line alone except tack on "edited by RivalMenace!"
Ayleth
Regular

Postby Alex » Sat Aug 05, 06 10:43 am

GothicAngel wrote:
~[A]lex~ wrote:RivalMenace, this topic here is even more immature then I thought you were. Yes, there are edits. But no, they are not allowed by us. When someone asks if they may make an edit, the answer is: "Yes, but you are not allowed to host it". FunLine is our project, thought by us, made by us. Make your own map, from scratch. You have no right telling us that we are unfair whatsoever, we made the map, we may decide if we allow you to edit it or not.

If you want to get tecnical, in reality you can't really stop him. I don't mean to be a thorn, but the fact is you don't have copywrites on any of the maps. Therefore legally Rival you can alter the map, you can legally host the map, and they can't stop you. But, Don't claim it as yours...... That isn't morally correct and is disrespectful to the one who made it. Making your own map is a good idea, but learning off of somebody else's isn't a bad idea either.. I think A should at least let this one slide, and stop being so self rightous about it.. it's not like he's claiming it. he's still giving you guys the credit as the original makers.

Who says we don't have copyright? If I remember correctly, we do have SOME kind of rights on the name.
Alex
Alpha

Postby Legion » Sat Aug 05, 06 10:53 am

That's an easy solution... Rival change the name...... he said they have some sort of rights on the name.. in reality they don't, only the mapper does, so just change the name..... but make sure people are aware that the map isn't yours.
Legion
Regular

Postby Alex » Sat Aug 05, 06 10:54 am

Change the name ==> Face the concequences
If you're interested, I am one of the mappers of UnlimitedParty.
Alex
Alpha

Postby Legion » Sat Aug 05, 06 10:57 am

~[A]lex~ wrote:Change the name ==> Face the concequences
If you're interested, I am one of the mappers of UnlimitedParty.

I'm reading a convo between you and Rival as we speak.... changing the name and face what? I'm sorry you should really state what it is you'll do, anyways, I'll reply once i'm done reading this.
Legion
Regular

Postby Legion » Sat Aug 05, 06 11:04 am

Ok, I have read the convo, [A]lex, perhaps me you and Rival should have a three-way chat on msn.. I think i can easily fix this without causing any long term hard feelings.
Legion
Regular

Postby Gishank » Sat Aug 05, 06 11:24 am

If you change the maps name therefore you are calling the map your own if however you use the original map name iwth say "_Rivals_Edit.dx" He can edit a small part, if he edits the core framework of the map he eats lawsuit. Does that sound fair?
Gishank
Forum Super Hero

Postby Ayleth » Sat Aug 05, 06 11:30 am

I could go for that... i have not made extensive changes yet... sniper pit, addition to the pool, sealed off original admin room and put a teleport entrance instead, deleted buggy grav pit. main frame, like shop locations, room design, etc, will stay the same. Unfortunately I broke the windows in the admin room, so i need help with that!!! lol. Yeah... now im not so pissed, but still think I should be able to host a revised version. like i said, it's be mentioned that the original map is yours, and i don't care about renaming it... was planning to, actually, and anyway... apparently it's gonna be outdated anyway! That is, whenever 4 comes out. heck, you could even use my modifications in 4 if you want! i really don't care.
Ayleth
Regular

Postby Legion » Sat Aug 05, 06 12:11 pm

Gishank wrote:If you change the maps name therefore you are calling the map your own if however you use the original map name iwth say "_Rivals_Edit.dx" He can edit a small part, if he edits the core framework of the map he eats lawsuit. Does that sound fair?

I have never heard of a lawsuit over a map... that is being made with somebody else's gaming engine In fact, That's the stupidest thing I have ever heard.. I have altered a lot of maps, and I dare one person to try to sue me. Without a paper saying that the map is copywritten the court will laugh you out the door. And Also, As i have said, if alex wants to talk, i think i can come up with something that may end this without a bunch of crap. Also, your clan really needs to do something about the " We are the biggest and the baddest and we will stomp you" ego thing. I for one, find it stupid. There is no reason to threaten a new mapper, In fact You guys should be glad that he wants to make an old map of yours better......
Legion
Regular

Postby Gishank » Sat Aug 05, 06 12:43 pm

ORLY? Alot of major gaming copanys copyright there maps, E.G E.A Games, LuxoFlux, etc.
Gishank
Forum Super Hero

Postby Alex » Sat Aug 05, 06 12:52 pm

You're not allowed to host it. It is something we say to all who make edits of UnlimitedParty (Or other maps, but UP is the most regular).
Alex
Alpha

Postby Gishank » Sat Aug 05, 06 12:58 pm

btw, alex, might i add that your shoutoutbox thingy index is still WoW has fucked you :P
Gishank
Forum Super Hero

Postby Alex » Sat Aug 05, 06 1:01 pm

I know that, but I don't have the backup. I just hope it gets replaced soon by Nanyo.
EDIT: Made a new index, which is even better than the last one.
Alex
Alpha

Postby Killa » Sat Aug 05, 06 2:45 pm

somone please lock this topic....i will talk to rival about this. ive already told him about revising other peoples maps in not a good idea and hosting them without there permition is worse....
Killa
Wannabe

Postby kBo » Sat Aug 05, 06 2:55 pm

If the mappers says he copyrights it, it's under copyright. Modifying that map is definitely not a smart thing to do.
"Phreaking doesn't exist. It's an abstract concept that is blindly supported by the collective consciousness of a flakey subculture. You saw nothing."
kBo
Master

Postby clyzm » Sat Aug 05, 06 3:22 pm

Umm ... sorry to break the news to you guys, but SDK states that you cannot hold a map up for copyright because you made it with SDK. Something that idiot NoChanc doesn't realize.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby Gishank » Sat Aug 05, 06 3:29 pm

BUT! You can release it under the GNU meaning it can be edited yet not edited to the core and must have respect for the original counter, me thinks.
Gishank
Forum Super Hero

Postby ~ô¿ô~Nobody~ » Sat Aug 05, 06 3:33 pm

[A] Cataclyzm wrote:Umm ... sorry to break the news to you guys, but SDK states that you cannot hold a map up for copyright because you made it with SDK. Something that idiot NoChanc doesn't realize.

Well but that what you made with the SDK was your work. The SDK is just the tool and didn't make it, but you.
Nobody is perfect...
------------------------------
Longc[A]t wrote:I still think Dae is a russian spambot.

~[A]Daedalus~ wrote:There will be a day when my patience goes away and you, along with all who rant with you, will get banned.

ô¿ô¥[GODZ]¥NOCHANC wrote:I can ban any one I want ANY time I want. You have no rights here.
~ô¿ô~Nobody~
Alpha

Postby clyzm » Sat Aug 05, 06 3:39 pm

Hey don't blame me, blame the SDK copyright infrigement act.

And Klop, don't try to find a loophole because there isn't any.
clyzm
Forum Master God

Postby ~ô¿ô~Nobody~ » Sat Aug 05, 06 7:33 pm

I just say that agreement goes against copyright, which is illegal
Nobody is perfect...
------------------------------
Longc[A]t wrote:I still think Dae is a russian spambot.

~[A]Daedalus~ wrote:There will be a day when my patience goes away and you, along with all who rant with you, will get banned.

ô¿ô¥[GODZ]¥NOCHANC wrote:I can ban any one I want ANY time I want. You have no rights here.
~ô¿ô~Nobody~
Alpha

Postby Dae » Sat Aug 05, 06 7:47 pm

RivalMenace wrote:Ok, i go to ask for ideas from Alex, reguarding a UP3 revisit, and what the hell? he tells me out right that i can't edit or host the revisit. C'mon you guys! you left the map open to be edited! It's been edited so many times, from what I hear! When I did host the beta before, people loved it, even made more suggestions to be added!!! Way to discourage a new mapper!!! Way to kill creativity!!! Ask for support and what do I get? StoneWalled! I even offered to give the final to you guys, and still you turn me down!!! LOL, go ahead, ban me from the forum! And I even posted a reply to a topic that asked for a revisit (albeit that it was an old topic, but it still counts) and you guys said NOTHING ABOUT IT! WTF? like, are we selfish about our maps here or what? last thing i have to do with this forum!!!
Pah!
*spits on ground*

I don't think your server with our map "revisited" by you will last for long :roll:
Dae
Alpha

Return to Comments, questions, requests