GameSpy changed master server to list all Deus Ex servers

All multiplayer related discussion.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Postby [FGS]ShadowRunner » Thu Mar 22, 07 12:00 am

Thanks for everything Zora, I've had great times on Sunny Side...

Although noone payed them (Gamespy) for this old game, they don't accept an attacker dictating a certain game style.

Now perhaps reason will win out and spread throughout the community?

So what is the lesson learned from this war?

1. Players can selfishly fuck with DX and impose their subjective opinion.

2. They will eventually be overthrown, with egg on their face.

3. You can NOT dictate a certain gametype, map, mod, wep etc...

That means you must respect me, even if I only ever play DXSG and throw 50 lams at you, you must respect my choice to do that and consider that the most fun DX available.

I will lam you on large maps, with plenty of actors and movers and by golly...and stuff noob kills up you... Gamespy said I can!!!
[FGS]ShadowRunner
Addict

Postby Billmaster » Thu Mar 22, 07 5:50 pm

^ Nice post shadow! :D
Billmaster

Postby Dae » Thu Mar 22, 07 5:55 pm

I don't think GameSpy will care about botnets if DejaVu suddenly decides to launch them again. On other hand if I were him I'd rather concentrate on developing that idea with MP Lite and master.dxmp.net masterserver.
Dae
Alpha

Postby Billmaster » Fri Mar 23, 07 8:09 pm

I really don't think Gamespy did anything. Z still does not show up there!
Billmaster

Postby ~SaSQuAtCH~ » Fri Mar 23, 07 8:13 pm

Just played on Z server today for about....2 minutes?
~SaSQuAtCH~
Master

Postby Imperial » Fri Mar 23, 07 8:19 pm

Billmaster wrote:I really don't think Gamespy did anything. Z still does not show up there!

MAyve dey dont leik u?

they banned my server, fuks
I sell donuts, if you want my donuts, give me a call.

DONUTS
Imperial
Forum Hero

Postby Jon » Fri Mar 23, 07 8:29 pm

FGS and DXMS still don't show up on the GameSpy serverlist with a Udp Query
Jon
Alpha

Postby Professor Layton » Fri Mar 23, 07 8:35 pm

I guess, like imperial said, they banned your server in some way for sending way too much packets to the masterserver. My server seems to refuse to show up as well, probably due to the same reason.

Zora's server obviously does show up, as his IP is dynamic.
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby Imperial » Fri Mar 23, 07 10:59 pm

Guess they only half did the job :roll:

Now another month or so for them to unban the servers!!(mine is unbanned I presume, because my ip changed I think.

DONUTS
Imperial
Forum Hero

Postby Shifter » Sun Mar 25, 07 8:07 am

this does seem like good news, i think i might just come back full time :)

Even tho most of you dont remember me haha.
Shifter

Postby rob » Sun Mar 25, 07 11:18 am

i might come back to, but not full time lawl :p
________
Bmw m52 history
Last edited by rob on Fri Feb 18, 11 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rob
Regular

Postby Cozmo » Sun Mar 25, 07 1:50 pm

GIANT wrote:Guess they only half did the job :roll:

Now another month or so for them to unban the servers!!(mine is unbanned I presume, because my ip changed I think.

It's just legendary that Gamespy did something at all. If Zora can make them do that, he must be like, Jesus 2.

:)
Cozmo_RPG (v1 & v2)
MPConversations - A tool for creating multiplayer RPG stuff
Cozmo
Master

Postby MainMan » Sun Mar 25, 07 1:59 pm

I think that this is awesome. Of course it was easy for gamespy to do, as it had already been implemented in other games, but they received nothing for doing it to DeusEx, so kudos to them! :)
<center>ty m7
</center>
MainMan
<i>Tru' Playa' Fer Defs</i>

Postby rob » Sun Mar 25, 07 6:02 pm

i dnt know y they didnt spot this, i know they dnt support the game, but surely they are against someone messing with their master servers. They must of spotted something when monitering the MS, unless they dnt moniter the MS at all, or deja's doings went un noticed.
________
Roll blunts
rob
Regular

Postby Dae » Sun Mar 25, 07 6:41 pm

rob wrote:i dnt know y they didnt spot this, i know they dnt support the game, but surely they are against someone messing with their master servers. They must of spotted something when monitering the MS, unless they dnt moniter the MS at all, or deja's doings went un noticed.

I don't think they monitor the ms at all... It's just a great luck that Zora managed to find someone conscious there, as dozens of our request to their support were absolutely the same like the first one. See some examples of our tickets:

Zora wrote:Hi gamespy Team!

Since a few days the Deus Ex server list is very small, even my own server isn't listed any more.

E.g. there's a clan called "FGS" who runs 3 servers from same IP address (on 3 different ports). Most often, the server list contains none of them, some times 1, rarely 2 and about never all 3.

This happens also if the server list is refreshed multiple times within 1 minute.

My server uplinks correctly to master.gamespy.com:28900 (207.38.11.34, UpdateMinutes=1).

Until about the last weekend this exact address (207.38.11.34:28900) queried my server with a "\status" request (which was correctly processed) and all was fine (my server got listed).

Since about the last weekend another address of gamespy (207.38.8.15:<alternating port>) requests my server with a "\status" request. Although it's processed correctly as usual (and as for all requesters) my server doesn't show up always in the list. And without another uplink and without gamespy querying my server again it sometimes suddenly shows up, the next request not. Same is with other server all over the world.

How can this happen? I didn't change anything of my configuration.
Is there currently any technical work in progress which might cause these failures?

Thanks for any reply!

Support wrote:Hi Zora

The service you need has to do with your game, not Arcade software functionality. We handle the functionality and technical support of Arcade software. GameSpy does not make games, only GameSpy products.

We would love to be able to provide technical support for the hundreds of games we have available on Arcade however each game has it’s own technical support provided by the game maker. Please contact their techsupport as described in your game manual or check the game’s Official Website. Also remember your fellow gamers are an excellent resource so don’t forget to check with them in the Arcade lobby for your game as well.

In Arcade in the game room of your choice, click on “Game Info” above the game list. That contains patches, links to the developer of your game and links to any fan sites on the GameSpy Network. There you will find what is necessary to run your game online.

Yours sincerely,

Aileen Diefenbach
Customer Service
IGN Entertainment

Zora wrote:Hi Aileen,

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask for help with gamespy.com. I started with "support.gamespy.com" clicking through the support choices and clicked "gamespy", not "gamespy arcade".

However, this problem *is* related to gamespy since they run the master server (master.gamespy.com). The game itself didn't change at all. As you probably know, Deus Ex is an old game, the developing company doesn't exist any more. It's unlikely that they make any changes/patches (and in fact there isn't any).

<...>

Thanks again,

Zora

Support wrote:Hi again

Did you try Eidos? http://support.eidosinteractive.com/

Yours sincerely,

Aileen Diefenbach
Customer Service
IGN Entertainment

Dae wrote:Hello,
I know that the multiplayer of the game called Deus Ex uses the ONLY masterserver, which is hosted on GameSpy (master.gamespy.com). That is why I write this to you. And the situation completely depends on GameSpy.<...>

The list of the servers is too small now. Many players leave the game because of GameSpy not handling the attack properly. Not to mention that these attacks actually abuse GameSpy network.

This is entirely GameSpy's issue -- this has nothing to do with the developers. The game itself works fine. <...>

Support wrote:Hi Eugene,

I sincerely apologize for this late response to your issue, I was checking with our engineers.

THe master server is safe. What the issue is that the game is old. The multiplayer code is old and hackable. This is an issue of that specific game being vulnerable, not our master server.

I wish I had better news. You will need to contact the developer for them to patch their multiplayer code and get up to date there.

Sincerely,

Christine Henderson - Manager, Customer Service

Some recent reply:

Support wrote:Good day

Please refrain from emailing us regarding this subject continuously. You will recieve the same answer each time.

All other emails to us now regarding this matter will be closed with no further response given.

Yours sincerely,
Dae
Alpha

Postby rob » Sun Mar 25, 07 8:56 pm

bah they dnt even moniter their MS's. so they let people hack their stuff then. haha.

wana practise your hacking skills? hack a gamespy MS, they dnt care at all :P
________
PLYMOUTH ROAD RUNNER
rob
Regular

Postby Imperial » Sun Mar 25, 07 9:40 pm

I wrote:It has come to my attention that your Gamespy Masterserver is being attacked, by a group of people who want to prevent people having fun. To the best of my knowledge, they are sending false packets, and basically just trying to fool the masterserver. I have been in cotact with you before, for similar issues, but this time, it is directed at you, as they are attacking one of your services. I would hope you can make the culprits stop, ban their ip/sid details, completely off the masterserver. I fear they have the same intent to do similar things to more of your masterservers and hope you deal with the problem soon, and punish the culprits, who are abusing your Masterserver.

Thank you.

Aileen wrote:Hi Imperial

Can you please send your screenshots with proof that someone is doing that.

What we would need is documented proof of:

Who is doing this

Their IP address linking their name directly to their username.

The proof you have that the above person is doing this to our servers.

Yours sincerely,

Aileen Diefenbach
Customer Service
IGN Entertainment

I wrote:Afraid I can't, for a start, they are spoofing their ips, i.e it's not theirs, using loads of ip ranges too.

I can only investigate it, as far as my server goes, but seeing as it is a direct attack to your masterserver, I was hoping you could check the actviity, any suspicious stuff going on. TBH, I was hoping the ips that are attacking the msl are not spoofed.

If you would like, I can attach a server log, but nothing seems to be happening, as I have stated, it's not server related, it's masterserver related. Isn't there anyway you can track this sort of behaviour? Surely it has happened before in one of your more popular hosted game, bf and such?

I wrote:Hi again. I have got a conversation, attached, some parts that may help you. I fear they plan to target other games too, this people seem to be pretty clever. I'll attach the conversation and as for your masterserver,the proof is there, mostly augged servers are there, the few 0augged servers that remain are being kept to convince the other side they are in control(the people who are trying to come up with ways to stop the attacks, and then an attack they havent learnt to strenghten, YET. Most of the servers are now augged. They are using a tool, which blocks servers, so they have quite a bit of power. They mention you in there as well, something you'd have to do with the code. Anyway, I got quite a bit out of him, I'll try more tonight, do you think you could investigate this further?

Aileen wrote:HI again

We have checked the masterserver and there are no problems issues or attacks to it. As told before the problem is with the game coding itself and your requests have to be directed to the game makers. We are unable to help you.

Yours sincerely,

Aileen Diefenbach
Customer Service
IGN Entertainment

I wrote:I'm going to have to disagree. There is another tool, we use, called Nepyths, which block attacks, yet the masterserver is not even showing the servers. Seen or unseen, your Masterserver IS being attacked. Can't you get some techies to have a deeper look into it?

Even it it was something to do with the games coding, I cannot get contact information for Eidios, but I reiniate, it is a direct attack towards your masterserver.

Aileen wrote:Hi again

The technicans HAVE checked the status of the master server and there are no issues. We appreciate your concern for the game you enjoy playing, but we simply are not able to help you with your request.

Yours sincerely,

Aileen Diefenbach
Customer Service
IGN Entertainment

I wrote:Hello i know I have been in contact with you before, but I want you to check one thing( I know this accurate, because someone has been kind enough to help the Deus Ex community and are doing counter attacks, but being met with resistance.) The attack is basically unlisting servers on Gamespy
and completely fooling the masterserver: "Failed to send heartbeat to master server" This is the kind of thing they are doing, and I am so adamant about this and persistant that it is to do with your company, seeing as you are in charge of the Masterservers are you not? An attack is happening on the masterserver. I would invite your techies to try and host on the Gamespy Masterserver, in the game of deus ex. You will find the server does not show up on the list, and only does with luck, i.e hitting refresh endless times.

To my knowledge, Eidios aren't responsible for the masterserver are they? Will you please please check every config there is for Gamespy Masterserver for deus Ex, anything to do with it and send your techies in to host a server and see what happens for themselves. (also note, that attacks have started and stopped, but as I speak to you, attacks are happening.
There are two attacks, one directly aimed at your masterserver and one directetly at the server itself. I relaise this has nothing to do with you, we even have someone countering this attack, but I would ask you this one last request, to check for any trace of the Masterserver attack I have described in this messgae. If you do all this, and don't get any result, I will be satisifed and leave it.

Thank you,
Kind Reguards, Imperial

Aileen wrote:Good day

Please refrain from emailing us regarding this subject continuously. You will recieve the same answer each time.

All other emails to us now regarding this matter will be closed with no further response given.

Yours sincerely,

Aileen Diefenbach
Customer Service
IGN Entertainment

I wrote:Thanks for the help, appreciate it!

You just continue to be blind about the situation.

Say, seeing as gamespy don't know when their masterservers are under attack and don't do anything about it, then anyone can get away with it!

Some customer Service..

I wrote:*Reveals link.. not showing it*
The fact that this is changeable( and that a member of your staff lied to me, whose fault this is, I don't know, whether you misinformed your staff members or they just lied to me) pisses me off. So much so, I am willing to take action, if you as a company do not fix this. You really can't be bothered can you?
I play and pay for a server for the game Dues Ex, which this bug is being exploited on, through your masterserver. Don't bullshit me for a start, like you have done before. I will take legal action against your company if this simple matter isn't resolved. I am not prepared to be losing money, just because you guys couldn't bother to fix it. I would take this seriously if I were you :)
I have seen this happen to me before, and through legal action I resolved it, so lets not let the same thing happen
Fix the bug, or I take legal action

P.S I want the manager this time.

Christine wrote:Hi there,

Your email has been escalated to me for handling. My name is Christine, I am the Manager of Customer Service and hope I can help resolve the issue.

Please take note of the author's statement:

"I take the Gamespy master server as example but the same informations can be
applied to any other master server that works in the same way, that's
why the title of this document is about generic master servers and not
about the Gamespy one."

What this is telling you is that the code the game uses for multiplayer and NOT GameSpy is the cause of the problem. The game needs an update. Please contact the game maker.

Sincerely,

I wrote:I firmly disagree. What this is telling you, is some other masterservers, besides the Gamespy one, have the same vulnerability, therefore Generic Masterservers

Its not about eidios or game codes, so where you are getting this from i do not know

I will continue emialing yous into you resolve this issue, make an update, it is YOu who needs to make an update, I am amazed you cannot come to terms with this.

If you continue to insist its Eidios fault I want you to put me into contact with somebody else.

Chrsitine wrote:Hi again,

Unfortunately you are incorrect. We will not be making any changes as this is the multiplayer code in the game. Your only choice is to stop playing the game online.

You will not be put in contact with anyone else at IGN on this matter as I already consulted the engineers and this is their final answer. There is no need to contact us again on this matter.

Sincerely,

I wrote:no, Unfortunately it is you who is incorrect. I find it incredible how you try to convince your customers that you are right. Too bad, I know I amn't one of those who beleive any old crap that a company tells them. I'm not gullible. I quote: "Epic's masterserver implementation for UE1, which does use the gamespy protocol, isn't vulnerable. For the simple reason that it doesn't implement the feature being abused."

You've read the article so you know what is being abused. If Gamespy were hosting off the epic masterserver type ( all you need is the masterserver.ini, SDK and to type commands into cd) but I am sure you are aware of this. The feature that is being abused is not the games code, for Gamespys. Why you feel the need the Masterserver needs to be sent packets is a mystery to me. How to fix it, create a packet filter, it's not neccesary. If you still shift the blame onto Eidos I will continue contacting you. I feel we are going around in circles, so either try and help me out, or put me into contact with someone who can. I know for a fact there is someone who admits the Gamespy Masterserver is being attacked, so please don't give me the " It's the game makers fault" again. Maybe you are asking the wrong Engineers? Hmm? Perhaps the Apprentices? Not the fully trained ones? Of course you wouldn't ask those at the very top, because it won't benefit you in any way right? Money grabbers. I will continue to pursue this, until I am put into contact with the right people. You have read taht article totally wrong, There is absoulutely no mention of game codes, simply MAsterservers, in this instance, yours. I can insure you if you hosted on the unreal MAsterserver, the servers wouldn't be delisted, simply because they don't use the implemation that ie being abused, as stated in the quote in my first paragraph.

DONUTS
Imperial
Forum Hero

Postby Spiderbot01 » Sun Mar 25, 07 9:52 pm

Yeah insult them. That's gonna get them to do something, Christ.
<center>------</center><center>
Image</center>
<center>Image</center><
Spiderbot01
Alpha

Postby Imperial » Sun Mar 25, 07 9:59 pm

Well being straight with them wasn't going anywhere so..

DONUTS
Imperial
Forum Hero

Postby Spiderbot01 » Sun Mar 25, 07 10:01 pm

As noble a gesture your attempts are, and I mean that seriously for once. Unless you completely know what you're talking about, (and when a guy gets a virus off a friend over MSN, questions have to be asked), they're not gonna take a blind bit of notice. Not to mention, what the fuck is customer services gonna know about the workings of the master server?
<center>------</center><center>
Image</center>
<center>Image</center><
Spiderbot01
Alpha

Postby Imperial » Sun Mar 25, 07 10:18 pm

Longc[A]t wrote:As noble a gesture your attempts are, and I mean that seriously for once. Unless you completely know what you're talking about, (and when a guy gets a virus off a friend over MSN, questions have to be asked), they're not gonna take a blind bit of notice. Not to mention, what the fuck is customer services gonna know about the workings of the master server?

Nothing, but the engineers should..

DONUTS
Imperial
Forum Hero

Postby Dae » Mon Mar 26, 07 7:14 am

Not to mention, what the fuck is customer services gonna know about the workings of the master server?

Why did they lie then that they "checked it" and "talked to technicians"?
Dae
Alpha

Postby [FGS]ShadowRunner » Mon Mar 26, 07 8:32 pm

The technicans HAVE checked the status of the master server and there are no issues.

..hmm of course not... can't have some amateur tell you how to do your job can we...

The technicians decided they weren't going to tell them the server is hacked.

...and once they said "stop mailing"...well... that wasn't very nice now was it.

They can run a space shuttle on a '486 and send a man to the moon with the power of a ZX81, but Gamespy can't see the wood for the trees... only 7 seven years old...
[FGS]ShadowRunner
Addict

Postby rob » Mon Mar 26, 07 10:03 pm

unless deja managed to attack their MS's un noticable...?
________
Jainism dicussion
rob
Regular

Postby Tonnochi » Sun Jun 10, 07 2:28 am

This may be old news, but after GameSpy announced they had stepped in, they hung this poster on the Statue of Liberty:
Tonnochi
Forum Hero

Previous

Return to Multiplayer