Getting Ruined

All multiplayer related discussion.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Postby James » Mon Feb 14, 11 2:08 pm

I tried to get Chococat to play sp for years. She's one of those "how do I complete the first level" types.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Hanover Fist » Tue Feb 15, 11 8:09 pm

She's a woman
Happiness is a full wallet and a loaded clip
Hanover Fist
Master

Postby ~s0ap~ » Wed Apr 20, 11 2:54 am

Newsflash, they have 3 of my maps, I keep telling them that they're mine but they tell me no one believes you and I could sue you for fraud. They're my firsts but I don't want my map on a faggot's server. Something I learned is that even though they're a zxc we shouldn't judge them. I just saw some good out of one person who believes me and sent a copy of my maps. I even have 2 of them hosted on my sky drive, which dates back to NOVEMBER 2009! When that server of theirs didn't even exist.
~s0ap~
Wannabe

Postby Tantalus » Wed Apr 20, 11 9:48 am

~s0ap~ wrote:Newsflash, they have 3 of my maps, I keep telling them that they're mine but they tell me no one believes you and I could sue you for fraud. They're my firsts but I don't want my map on a faggot's server. Something I learned is that even though they're a zxc we shouldn't judge them. I just saw some good out of one person who believes me and sent a copy of my maps. I even have 2 of them hosted on my sky drive, which dates back to NOVEMBER 2009! When that server of theirs didn't even exist.

>Fraud.

No, you really couldn't, it's not a fraudulent activity.

In fact, you can't sue them for anything because your intellectual property is not protected.
Tantalus
Forum Super Hero

Postby Shinobi » Wed Apr 20, 11 9:50 am

~s0ap~ wrote:Newsflash, they have 3 of my maps, I keep telling them that they're mine but they tell me no one believes you and I could sue you for fraud. They're my firsts but I don't want my map on a faggot's server. Something I learned is that even though they're a zxc we shouldn't judge them. I just saw some good out of one person who believes me and sent a copy of my maps. I even have 2 of them hosted on my sky drive, which dates back to NOVEMBER 2009! When that server of theirs didn't even exist.

Seriously. Get a fucking life, mate.
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Shinobi
Master

Postby ~s0ap~ » Thu Apr 21, 11 12:05 am

No, I'm not letting queeros like zxc host my shitty first maps, even if they are shitty, 1 is pretty dam well popular even though its just a bunch of stair cases, and halls.
~s0ap~
Wannabe

Postby ~DJ~ » Thu Apr 21, 11 6:26 am

wats da name bro? of da map.
~DJ~
Forum Super Hero

Postby Kaiden » Thu Apr 21, 11 1:20 pm

Protect map, add owner texture somewhere.
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby Aidan » Fri Apr 22, 11 6:39 am

Kaiden wrote:Protect map, add owner texture somewhere.

THISTHISTHISTHIS

Seriously. There's been numerous times when clans such as those have de-cached my maps and hosted them.

Without ownership or protection-

-It's fair game in this harsh world.
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby WhenInRome » Thu Jun 09, 11 12:11 pm

Not these guys...I logged onto multiplayer for the first time, and as Karky's server was the only one with people, I joined. I join UNATCO, and find the NSF. It turns out the NSF are all admins having a three-way with a sound file playing a loop of grunting sounds. I figure they're just roleplaying, and start shooting at them. I didn't realize they had infinite bio-energy and all augs activated, so they killed me, accused me of being a "hacker" and banned me. That server was my first DXMP experience, and it sucked.
WhenInRome

Postby ~DJ~ » Thu Jun 09, 11 12:30 pm

oh my god lol

hopefully you're still sticking around though :oops:
~DJ~
Forum Super Hero

Postby China » Thu Jun 09, 11 8:23 pm

Sorry to hear that WhenInRome, I'm trying to do something positive with zXc and I'm hopefully going to get them to host Cozmo_RPG_v2 for a quality RPG experience.

This is my fear for new players to enter these weird servers and have their first experiences in DXMP negative ones. It's taken me many years to finally understand the need for fun servers but they have to have lines that shouldn't be crossed in my opinion in order to maintain a fun and friendly atmosphere for all to enjoy.

I do like the guys at zXc but I think they could be pointed in the right direction a little by some of us veterans. I hope you come back again to DXMP WhenInRome as there are plenty of decent servers with good quality maps and mods to enjoy, and the numbers should pick up real soon.
www.chinnysdeusexblog.wordpress.com
China
Wannabe

Postby ~DJ~ » Thu Jun 09, 11 8:41 pm

China wrote: I'm trying to do something positive with zXc

How ironic.. I suggested Cozmo to add such protections because of zXc, and Dogny.
Last edited by ~DJ~ on Thu Jun 09, 11 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~DJ~
Forum Super Hero

Postby Aidan » Fri Jun 10, 11 4:21 am

Unprotected content + most dx players these days = DISASTER.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Marder » Sun Jun 12, 11 10:25 am

I was trying to tell FACE that last night. He's considering unprotecting FACETOWN.

Playtested and it will actually have cutscenes, convos, it's basically SP in a server. It gobsmacked me to be honest, even though I've seen his work before and heard what FT will be able to do, I saw the potential for this project to make a serious amount of ex-SP players give it a try. In my opinion it is better than TNM or anything I've ever seen in DX. When I approached an NPC and initiated the first cutscene, I felt not only that I was in the original SP experience, but that I was playing a new chapter and the experience was tailored precisely to me, characters were using my name etc.

There's only ONE person in the community who has written permission to edit DXMP_Skyline and it wasn't ZXC. By removing the lighting and throwing weps on the floors, not only is it very arrogant, but it's actually illegal. By removing the lighting, it's against DXMP too in my opinion. I see no reason why we shouldn't petition the right people to remove their servers.

Anyone entering ZXC as their first experience, will assume that the community can not edit maps or light them, and assume that servers are rife with godders and admin abuse.

Some ZXC members are cool, but that is besides the point.
Last edited by Marder on Sun Jun 12, 11 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Marder
Poster

Postby Poor » Sun Jun 12, 11 5:04 pm

I haven't been modding in DX long, but isn't everything supposed to be open source? Is it even legal to use a tool to strip out the source code or make maps uneditable? When I was learning unrealscript, it would have helped a lot to see the source code of released mods but many were protected. It seems like people are trying to hoard knowledge or prevent people from making improvements. That miniMTL for example is now a popular mod but links aren't allowed here because it was updated without permission. It seems people are more concerned about who gets credit than making DXMP more fun.
Poor
Poster

Postby Kaiden » Sun Jun 12, 11 11:57 pm

MiniMTL is most likely protected because it has malicious/data gathering code in it, like newer versions of DXSL probably.

Quite a few of the mods made by Alpha had their source codes privately released, you just had to ask to join the coding society forum, think that's gone now though.
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Postby Cozmo » Mon Jun 13, 11 1:05 am

I can imagine it's easy to protect something as large and elaborate as Facetown from being stolen without protecting the source code (assuming that's what you meant by protection) of most of the mod. I'm really curious to see how he did certain things, and I'm sure others are too.

Really glad to hear he's still working on it though. Last I heard from him was like 2 years ago :o
Cozmo_RPG (v1 & v2)
MPConversations - A tool for creating multiplayer RPG stuff
Cozmo
Master

Postby Aidan » Mon Jun 13, 11 1:24 am

Poor wrote:I haven't been modding in DX long, but isn't everything supposed to be open source? Is it even legal to use a tool to strip out the source code or make maps uneditable? When I was learning unrealscript, it would have helped a lot to see the source code of released mods but many were protected. It seems like people are trying to hoard knowledge or prevent people from making improvements. That miniMTL for example is now a popular mod but links aren't allowed here because it was updated without permission. It seems people are more concerned about who gets credit than making DXMP more fun.

It isn't illegal to protect your modifications/maps using the tool.

There's making Deus Ex fun, and then there is taking the hard (professional) work of others, wrecking it by adding __________ and ___________, then taking credit for the entire map/mod.

It's unfortunate.. but this is what most players these days do.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby James » Mon Jun 13, 11 7:29 am

Feel sorry for anyone using Deja's MiniMTL, the community is full of idiots who don't listen.
Last edited by James on Mon Jun 13, 11 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
James
Alpha

Postby Hanover Fist » Mon Jun 13, 11 6:04 pm

It's statistical.
Happiness is a full wallet and a loaded clip
Hanover Fist
Master

Postby Aidan » Tue Jun 14, 11 2:04 am

James wrote:Feel sorry for anyone using Deja's MiniMTL, the community is full of idiots who don't listen.

BUT IT HAS OPTIONS N N N CTF.... AN AN AN AN AN

:roll:
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Marder » Wed Jun 15, 11 1:26 pm

CTF I think, if there's no autosniper or parker hell rifle, could be the solution to getting both extremes of the community to participate on neutral ground. As a player the main benefit of "miniMTL" for me is the absence of gpf anymore.

Well Darma spoke with ZXC who said they will ask permission and if maps have been edited and they still cant get/find permission, they will remove the maps.

However I am not celebrating, because in the example of Skyline, they didn't ask me for Jared's e-mail address and I seriously doubt they will. Also this isn't what I was trying to achieve. What I was trying to achieve was ZXC not ripping out the lighting in EVERY map they host.

I would make CTF default and tac servers, AG, SG and Tac servers, but remove Parker Hell and Autosniper and use normal bio and have maps that will impress beginners. It's a shame only Nobody knows how to convert AG maps, plenty of mappers would like to help out.
Marder
Poster

Postby Aidan » Wed Jun 15, 11 8:05 pm

Anyone can say they are going to do something. It's only doing it that counts.

In this predicament, ZXC will NOT do anything because..

a) They don't want to

b) They're 12

c) They're 12
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Marder » Sat Jun 18, 11 2:53 pm

Well a wee development. Turns out the admin/leader is Alfredo who has been a good friend of FGS for years. You may remember TKG server with the Pyramid spawnrooms containing 20 boxes of 20mm and LAW and rows of neatly stacked lams.

So I am pretty sure that Alfredo will play ball and this has been a case of poor English and isolation, leading to people getting their backs up. Alfredo was previously willing to play ball. Also to be fair, I know that Dogny impersonated the hell out of Alfredo for years.

And you are right, Alfredo is very young I seem to remember.

About what Poor said, I agree it should be about fun, but at the end of the day, if there's a modding group off the radar, producing mismatches and editing maps which are already being edited, things will get very confusing and the overall result won't be fun, it affects the players, but at the same time we can't force clans, leaders or editors to read stuff or talk about stuff.

EMP clan are going to host tac and custom maps, so let's hope they do it better.
Marder
Poster

Previous

Return to Multiplayer