DXHR Level Editor

Discussion about the prequel by Square Enix.

Moderator: Forum Guards

Postby Alex » Thu Apr 14, 11 1:15 pm

Lurker wrote:
Alex wrote:UCC-style? I may hope you don't mean that you want an UC-style language? If coding will be possible, it will be - of course - an entire different language.

UCC is the comand-line code compiler for UnrealScript. When I talked about UCC-style compiler for DXHR I meant similar code compiler for whatever language DXHR is going to use.

And sure I would prefer and want UnrealScript over any other language. Epic's C++ based language has proven itself to be one of the best programming languages for game development. Thousands of modders in the Unreal Tournament 3 Modding Community use it every day. Not to mention DX1 modders.

As I said in my very first post, I am experienced with those things. I started modding for Unreal Engine since the days of old Unreal in 1998. Learning an entirely new engine, new language and new level editor would make me a newbie again. :?

I know what UCC is, I've developed a few things for Deus Ex.

And learning a new language shouldn't be that hard, not if you're a 'die hard' coder.

And mind you, I'm also a bit experienced.
Alex
Alpha

Postby Lurker » Thu Apr 14, 11 2:08 pm

Alex wrote:I know what UCC is, I've developed a few things for Deus Ex.

And learning a new language shouldn't be that hard, not if you're a 'die hard' coder.

Agreed. But I'm not a "die hard" coder. If I encounter a new 3D engine, language and level editor I need some time to learn and experiment before I get myself used to it. Sometimes it can take me months or even years.

[EDIT]
For example, in 1998 when Unreal came out for the very first time I knew nothing about UnrealEd. In 1999 when Unreal Tournament came out I knew how to make own maps/levels in UEd. And in 2000 when Deus Ex came out I started to learn UnrealScript a bit. Now after 11 years I think I can do pretty anything from mapping, scripting to texture art and sounds. Let's hope my experience is not going to waste in the future...

Cool. What is your type of experience? Scripting/Coding, Level Design, Modelling or Art?
Last edited by Lurker on Thu Apr 14, 11 2:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Lurker
Wannabe

Postby Alex » Thu Apr 14, 11 2:12 pm

Lurker wrote:
Alex wrote:I know what UCC is, I've developed a few things for Deus Ex.

Agreed. But I'm not a "die hard" coder. If I encounter a new 3D engine, language and level editor I need some time to learn and experiment before I get myself used to it. Sometimes it can take me months or even years.

Cool. What is your type of experience? Scripting/Coding, Level Design, Modelling or Art?

I can do a bit of coding, but to be honest, I retired.
Last edited by Alex on Thu Apr 14, 11 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex
Alpha

Postby Lurker » Thu Apr 14, 11 2:30 pm

Alex wrote:
Alex wrote:And mind you, I'm also a bit experienced.

Lurker wrote:Cool. What is your type of experience? Scripting/Coding, Level Design, Modelling or Art?

I can do a bit of coding, but to be honest, I retired.

I see. Well, I hope to create some DXHR mods and maps if possible, just for fun.
Last edited by Lurker on Thu Apr 14, 11 2:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Lurker
Wannabe

Postby Shinobi » Thu Apr 14, 11 2:41 pm

Best of luck to ya! That's all I'm gonna say....

...oh, and, rather you than me!
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Shinobi
Master

Previous

Return to Deus Ex: Human Revolution