DXHR Region Lock (UK/Russia) and Censorship

Discussion about the prequel by Square Enix.

Moderator: Forum Guards

DXHR Region Lock (UK/Russia) and Censorship

Postby Lurker » Sun Aug 21, 11 5:20 pm

First publisher Square Enix said that retail DXHR versions from UK and Russia will include a region lock, so that those versions can only be activated in these countries:

http://www.pcgames.de/Deus-Ex-3-Human-R ... wn-839762/

Now the publisher says the region lock in DXHR has been cancelled, so that customers from all Europe can install and activate the UK versions:

http://www.eurogamer.de/articles/2011-0 ... egion-lock

For a customer like me, who intends to buy the UK release and sits in Germany, this is still confusing. First a region lock, now not. What the fuck?

I just hope this isn't a bad buy and I don't end up with a DXHR release which I can't install on my machine...
Last edited by Lurker on Sun Aug 21, 11 7:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Lurker
Wannabe

Postby or 1=1 » Sun Aug 21, 11 5:31 pm

I'm confused too. I used to buy games from poland since they currency is weaker than €uro then add italian files to it. I did it with crysis2 (bought for 22€ instead of 59€).
Cheap Bitch
or 1=1
Master

Postby James » Sun Aug 21, 11 5:34 pm

It's usual Steamworks stuff, it's to stop code sellers online to buy the cheaper Russian versions. Russian versions are cheaper to encourage the Russians to buy it rather than pirate.

The UK region lock is VERY strange, hope it gets looked into.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby ~DJ~ » Sun Aug 21, 11 5:35 pm

Sounds stupid... this whole region lock thing.
~DJ~
Forum Super Hero

Postby James » Sun Aug 21, 11 5:37 pm

The Russian version lock is quite reasonable.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Lurker » Sun Aug 21, 11 6:59 pm

Well, my first thought was they intended to use region lock to prevent gamers in Germany and other european countries from playing the uncut UK versions. As you may know, german government has very strict laws about violence in videogames. So game publishers and developers censor german versions themselves to get a positive FSK/USK rating (similar to BBFC in England) from Germany and enter the german market without any trouble.

But it turns out they wanted to do it for other reasons.
Last edited by Lurker on Sun Aug 21, 11 7:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lurker
Wannabe

Postby Lurker » Sun Aug 21, 11 7:07 pm

Speaking of censorship, I also found a rather funny article about the japanese version of DXHR:

If you happen to live in Japan, you may or may not notice (you will now because we're telling you about it right here, so "you're welcomed") that the Japanese retail version of Deus Ex: Human Revolution has undergone two edits to protect audiences from "body organs and sexual objects."

The first edit is an omission of a cutscene in the game that shows a character with their "organs exposed." The second edit involves an unknown "sexual object” removed from one of the game's maps. Deus Ex: Human Revolution will arrive in Japan with a CERO Z rating, the equivalent to an "adults only" rating here and elsewhere.

Both of these cuts were made because display of this kind of material is strictly prohibited in Japan.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution releases September 8 in Japan, roughly two weeks after its launch North American launch.

Quote: http://gamepolitics.com/2011/08/08/deus ... ored-japan

DXHR will have "sexual objects" in the maps! :D
Last edited by Lurker on Sun Aug 21, 11 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lurker
Wannabe

Postby James » Sun Aug 21, 11 8:30 pm

rip Adam Jensen's robo cock.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Return to Deus Ex: Human Revolution