The Missing Link - Spoiler Discussion

Discussion about the prequel by Square Enix.

Moderator: Forum Guards

The Missing Link - Spoiler Discussion

Postby James » Fri Sep 02, 11 8:22 pm

This topic is for DXHR fans to discuss The Missing Link DLC missions. Please discuss anything spoiler worthy in this thread without tags and keep it out of other topics until the embargo has been lifted.

I suggest users to avoid this thread until you've completed The Missing Link.
Last edited by James on Tue Oct 18, 11 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby James » Mon Oct 17, 11 8:18 am

Please discuss spoilers in this thread. The DLC is released on the 18/19th depending on your area.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby MrBlackDX » Wed Oct 19, 11 12:17 am

Played a couple of hours so far.

Non-linear nature of this is very welcomed.

But its not particularly interesting compared to the main game, the "play the game stripped down" lasts about 15 minutes before they shove praxis, your armour and a couple of guns your way.

Would have been more interesting to play a significant portion more with the bare minimum of augs and weapons you pick up from enemies/scavenge.

Reviews so far are suggesting about 6/10, and I'm inclined to agree with them from what I've experienced.

I'm yet to fight this Eidos Montreal boss fight, which is supposedly multi-option in your approach to taking the boss down. Looking forward to that

Would have preferred integration into the storyline, and weapon retrieval from the campaign at like 3/4 through the dlc OR when the DLC is complete.
MrBlackDX
Nobel Peace Prize

Postby James » Wed Oct 19, 11 11:09 am

MrBlackDX wrote:Reviews so far are suggesting about 6/10,

Is this just Eurogamer?, I sperged out on lfcjake over them yesterday. I never trust their views.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby MrBlackDX » Wed Oct 19, 11 12:15 pm

Nah was somewhere else, I searched for "deus ex human revolution missing link review" and it was somewhere on the first page.

6/10 is an extreme, metacritically and taking into other reviews its looking at about 7.5.

Regardless of reviews, I played the game for 2 hours, and decided to "confirm" my own feelings on the game by searching for reviews, unfortunately I ended up on a 6/10 first, which was biased.

You can't "trust" any one reviewer, I would like to trust Edge, since they are pretty much formally accredited (Holly who studied games design, Edge are the staple of the lecturing circle). But some of Edge's reviews conflict with games I enjoy, so I can't rely on them.

I prefer to be mathematical about it, look at the overall review (metacritic), and then be aware of what reviewers I may have agreed with before for their opinion.

Anyway, I haven't completed the game so I'm not a valid source of opinion for whether this is a good dlc or not.

So far it's failed to meet expectations.

+ Non-linear
+ Appears to be more balanced towards Aug choice
- Not story driven
- Unique features are short lived (naked Jensen lasting 10-15 minutes)
MrBlackDX
Nobel Peace Prize

Postby James » Sat Nov 05, 11 6:44 am

So has anyone played it yet except for MrBlack?, I bought it on day 1 but haven't had the time to even touch it.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby James » Mon Dec 12, 11 11:09 am

James wrote:So has anyone played it yet except for MrBlack?, I bought it on day 1 but haven't had the time to even touch it.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Professor Layton » Mon Dec 12, 11 11:16 am

I haven't even bothered to obtain it :(
GrandpaTerran wrote:THIS MAP HAS BEEN POSTPONED FOR NOW I'LL RE-DEVELOP WHEN I HAVE COMPLETED MY MAPPING TRAINING
Professor Layton
Forum Hero

Postby Psychotic » Wed Mar 07, 12 2:15 am

I waaaaaant it. But as I've said in a previous topic, I currently live in a rural area with no internet, so any DLC is really hard to get.
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby Psychotic » Sun Mar 25, 12 11:10 am

[spoiler]You know, that person who's trapped in a unpowered stasis pod that you can save is probably better off dying. Chances are they're just going to face much worse conditions once Belltower "releases" them.[/spoiler]
"You either die a lurker, or you live long enough to see yourself become a troll."
Psychotic
Master

Postby Aidan » Mon Mar 26, 12 12:51 am

If you have a good mobile data plan, you should tether your phone :P
Psychokiller, spelled incorrectly.
Aidan
CandyMan

Postby Psychotic » Mon Mar 26, 12 12:11 pm

Aidan wrote:If you have a good mobile data plan, you should tether your phone :P

Hah, I considered it, but my phone ain't that great so the plans suck balls.

Finishing The Missing Link, it's pretty short, about 3-6 hours depending on how slow/fast you do it and if you do any of the side-quests.

Interesting stuff and it's pretty good, though I honestly wouldn't have paid the full price for it (I got the special - 75% off).

The only issue I have with it is the ending, as that's not completely clear and it doesn't become clearer during the last missions of original game. The only way you can really understand it is if you Google it or if you've read Deus Ex: Icarus Effect. I find this bad design as it makes the very foolish assumption that the players have actually read the book, which I'm willing to bet many haven't.

Aside from that, it's not bad. The boss fights in the original should've been more like the one in TML. It's not perfect but it's a lot better. Compare it the "boss fights" of the original Deus Ex: Anna Nevarre, Gunther Hermann and Walton Simons, though much easier to perform steathily (though you are still forced to kill/incapacitate the guy, you can't just "skip" it).
Psychotic
Master

Postby James » Tue Apr 03, 12 4:56 pm

Possibly gonna finish my third playthrough and start a fourth starting with Icarus Effect, proceeding to DXHR until end of Hengsha 2, start The Missing Link for the first time and finish up DXHR afterwards. I want to be consuming all the plot in one full experience.
I am dead.
James
Alpha

Postby Psychotic » Tue Apr 03, 12 9:59 pm

James wrote:Possibly gonna finish my third playthrough and start a fourth starting with Icarus Effect, proceeding to DXHR until end of Hengsha 2, start The Missing Link for the first time and finish up DXHR afterwards. I want to be consuming all the plot in one full experience.

Yeah, I was thinking that, too. Minus the Icarus Effect.
Psychotic
Master

Postby Kaiden » Mon Jul 23, 12 5:04 pm

Played it finally. Enjoyed certain parts! Some gripes would be having to go through those security scanners a lot. They look very nice but taking like 15 seconds to get through those doors, especially if you backtrack a lot could get annoying.

I did like the addition of those 2 audio logs, pretty cool.

Also liked the moonbase hologram reference.

The boss fight at the end was meh, defeated the guy himself in about 10 seconds with 1 concussion grenade and 2 frags following it. But I like how you could take him down non-lethally at least (not that I would with him).

Overall pretty happy with it, got 9 and something hours generally. I like that there were quite a few praxis points obtainable outside of shops/levelling up, just by finding them. (probably upwards of 10)
------
Kaiden
Alpha

Return to Deus Ex: Human Revolution